Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Private gig in Scottsdale  (Read 34998 times)

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
Re: Private gig in Scottsdale
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
"I also don't think we should bring his excellent charity work into the equation as that isn't the point here."

Why not?   There are both sides to an equation and it is only fair to talk about his charitable work too!    We know nothing about this gig, except that it was private and for a billionaire.  MK would have made money, but what he does with it is his own affair - maybe he did donate it to a charity, or maybe he used it to finance the very short tour.   It's really not any of our business.

+1 :thumbsup
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
Talking about charities...

I rather see MK calling Eric Clapton and telling him "Hey Eric, do you remember that charity gig at the RAH we agreed to do in 2003, but had to cancel because of my bike accident? What if we take a look to our agendas and we do it next year?" than doing this "Its not my bussiness shows for billionaires"
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2013, 03:17:48 PM »
I completely understand people being upset about MK doing this gig and I felt the same way too, but honestly I am not going to lose sleep over something that I know very little about and that I can't change anyway - it's futile and a waste of time and energy!    ;)  I'd rather he gets on with making that new album and arranging the next tour so we'll all be happy....... :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2013, 04:40:21 PM »
OK, not a new perspective, but pay attention because I think it is the one closer to the heart of the matter.

We barely know MK the man. But we think we do, because of his charity, interviews etc.

We know MK the artist, but only the final work. Not the creative procedure, the business side of it, etc, but we think we do, because he has revealed slices of it in various occassions.

So, when he dicides and states that some songs are not to be played anymore, it is his artistic decision. The bulk of the fans like us should understand. Not his motives (have been discussed though), nor his deeper feelings (thankfully not speculated yet), but his decision. Understanding means respecting his artistic decision not to play the songs as part of an artistic statement, that influences his work and the concerts as an EXPERIENCE. In short, this is not the experience he likes to share with his fans and listeners anymore.

And here comes the "playing requests for money" issue. Suppose that he is in need of money in order to afford the COMMUNICATION in the form of concerts with his huge fanbase. Suppose that somebody comes along, with no interest in his artistic vision, but just as a musician to play older hits with the additional bonus of being the composer and original performer. Both get what they want.

I would feel lucky to be in a big concert because there, he actually plays what he really wants and shares it with the people who love it and understand it. And if he takes up the "request" gigs in order to make the concerts happen we should be proud and honoured.

By the way who really does exactly what he likes in his everyday life or work?

Since when we quit our jobs because the job we are doing does not exactly fits the job description?

And if art is the only true form of expresion and as such the only absolute describing the meaning of the word freedom, don't you like to share what exactly the artist likes to share? Would you rather be paying him to play your requests? Or maybe by paying a ticket you think that you participate in such a scheme.

Do you ask from actors to play their famous roles again and again after 40 years? Do you think that by asking for older material all the time isn't diminishing  for his newer songs? And anyway is there a point in saying the same thing over and over again? Point taken, there is logic in it, but we do not see the whole picture, we don't know all the facts, and surely from what we can see there is also logic on the other side. We just tend to weight ours more.

Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
I would feel lucky to be in a big concert because there, he actually plays what he really wants and shares it with the people who love it and understand it. And if he takes up the "request" gigs in order to make the concerts happen we should be proud and honoured.

:thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »

:thumbsup

That's all fine and good if the songs played at the concerts on tour happen to be the ones you like personally.  I think everyone on here knows my preference for the DS numbers over things that McCusker and McGoldrick play on tour these days. :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
That's personal DMG, I am happy with what he plays and if I want to hear DS I try take the dvd.
I totally agree with Vgonis, we had the better concerts.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »
That's personal DMG, I am happy with what he plays and if I want to hear DS I try take the dvd.

Or The Straits.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »
OK, not a new perspective, but pay attention because I think it is the one closer to the heart of the matter.

We barely know MK the man. But we think we do, because of his charity, interviews etc.

We know MK the artist, but only the final work. Not the creative procedure, the business side of it, etc, but we think we do, because he has revealed slices of it in various occassions.

So, when he dicides and states that some songs are not to be played anymore, it is his artistic decision. The bulk of the fans like us should understand. Not his motives (have been discussed though), nor his deeper feelings (thankfully not speculated yet), but his decision. Understanding means respecting his artistic decision not to play the songs as part of an artistic statement, that influences his work and the concerts as an EXPERIENCE. In short, this is not the experience he likes to share with his fans and listeners anymore.

And here comes the "playing requests for money" issue. Suppose that he is in need of money in order to afford the COMMUNICATION in the form of concerts with his huge fanbase. Suppose that somebody comes along, with no interest in his artistic vision, but just as a musician to play older hits with the additional bonus of being the composer and original performer. Both get what they want.

By the way who really does exactly what he likes in his everyday life or work?

Since when we quit our jobs because the job we are doing does not exactly fits the job description?

And if art is the only true form of expresion and as such the only absolute describing the meaning of the word freedom, don't you like to share what exactly the artist likes to share? Would you rather be paying him to play your requests? Or maybe by paying a ticket you think that you participate in such a scheme.

Do you ask from actors to play their famous roles again and again after 40 years? Do you think that by asking for older material all the time isn't diminishing  for his newer songs? And anyway is there a point in saying the same thing over and over again? Point taken, there is logic in it, but we do not see the whole picture, we don't know all the facts, and surely from what we can see there is also logic on the other side. We just tend to weight ours more.

Artistic intengrity would have prevented him to play these tunes even for billionaire. This is the second time in a few years. Now I know that Mark has finally a price to play the stuff he doesn't feel to play. That is the morality of these corporate/billionaire gigs.

I am happy with what he plays and if I want to hear DS I try take the dvd.

Watching a DVD is far from being the same experience as being in the house with the man performing in front of you...
They are just substitute.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
Talking about charities...

I rather see MK calling Eric Clapton and telling him "Hey Eric, do you remember that charity gig at the RAH we agreed to do in 2003, but had to cancel because of my bike accident? What if we take a look to our agendas and we do it next year?" than doing this "Its not my bussiness shows for billionaires"

Oh yes, doing that cancelled charity gig with Eric Clapton will be great!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.