Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's gig  (Read 17633 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Guy's gig
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »
wow, is nelly going also?
didn'tknow that.... have fun nelly! and draad, obviously..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

draad

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »
TY Val.

Looking forward to going out with a nice French lady half my age! ;)   

Should be a v good night. As well as Nelly, there will be a friend from work, and my son, who now lives in London. We'll have some fun. Looking forward to hearing Mr Topley live. Great voice I think. And obviously looking forward to meeting your good self at the Inglenook next month Val.

Hope my photos are better this time around!!

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 07:55:41 PM »
Hi draad and Nelly!! Have a wonderful evening. I'm waiting your review and pictures... ;D
Cheers
Slavi

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 09:56:38 PM »
Dear Friends, I hope you have a wonderful evening at the gig!

It is great that you are able to meet each other. You are in my thoughts! ;D

Fieneke
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 09:54:48 PM »
Sigh............I am thinking about Nelly, Draad and other fans who are at this moment at the concert of Guy, Danny and other artists!  :-\

Fieneke

draad

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 11:12:02 AM »
What another great night! :)

My friend Dave and I met the lovely Nelly at Twickenham station about 2 hrs before the gig. We then met my son Stuart and went off to a local Indian restaurant for a meal. After that to the pub where the gig was being held. Time for a game of pool, Arthur and Dave v Nelly and Stuart. Victory for the older generation, Arthur comfortably potting a long black to seal victory! ;D

Upstairs for the gig, held in a rather tatty and run down bar room. Tiny stage. A few bar stools to sit on but mainly standing. I guess around 125 -150 max in the audience. After some beer with the curry a quick pee needed before gig start so went off to the Gents only to find it was also the band dressing room (!), and Guy and William Topley were smartening themselves up/changing shirts before going on stage. A little chat with Guy who kind of said that these little gigs were gifts for the fans and he promised I could take some photos of him with Nelly at the end of the night.

Band was Guy and Danny - let's start with the boys we know and love - Gary Grainger on lead guitar, Alan Rogan on bass, Peter Hope-Evans on harmonica and Jew's Harp, and William Topley on vocals. The set list was pretty much the one I listed from the Inglenook I think.

As I think you can picture, we were set up for a brilliant night, and so it proved to be.

Mr Topley is a man of operatic proportions - and I mean that kindly, and he has a voice to match. Deep, rich and brilliant for blues. Again the star for me was the harmonica fella - ex Medicine Head - who was fantastic. GG is a top man on the guitar and this time around there was a bit more showmanship from him, when compared to the Inglenook show. Danny and Guy were as you can imagine. A bit of lap steel guitar from Guy at one point. The band played nonstop fantastic blues for nearly two hours and left the stage to great applause. They then mingled with the audience and Nelly got her picture with Guy! A quick sprint back to the train station to catch the last train home, and back in rainy old Eastbourne at 0140 a tired and happy chappy.

I have a gazillion photos of the night, and though I say so myself, many are excellent. I had a girl from our Medical Photography Dept help me set up my camera just right - didn't want a repeat of my last attempts as a photographer! Hope to get them uploaded in next day or so.

Those of you who can travel to the Inglenook next month should make the effort to do so. It's not often you get to see and hear musicians of this quality up close and personal - and then get the chance to meet and chat to them.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »
draad, It sounded a terrific gig and both you and Nelly obviously had a great time!  Roll on February and meeting you and the boys at the Inglenook!  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »
Excellent review Draad 8),I can almost smell the Indian food & the beer :P :P

It sounded like a great night,blueeeessss music for 2 hours,food,beer,pool,ye lucky sods ;) ;)  & on a wednesday night :o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 03:45:34 PM »
Thank you,draad! A great review. I could imagine the atmosphere and it got some memories back to me  ;D....Looking forward to see the pictures!!

Rollergirl

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
so jealous.... and happy that you guys had a good time. Great review draad, thanks!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »
Arthur has now kindly uploaded his fantastic pics. Here are a couple, and we should have a link to the whole set available soon, be patient.  :)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:27:33 AM by dustyvalentino »
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 10:42:40 AM »
Thanks dusty and, of course Arthur, for the pictures, they are great, especially the one with Nelly and Guy!  ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »
Thanks, Arthur, for those great pictures!  Now I will know who to look out for when we meet at the Inglenook!  ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 09:54:56 PM »
Draad THANK YOU for the review, it was great to read and .............man what a wonderful time you Nelly, your friend and son had!! Also thank you for the pictures, I liked to watch!  :P

Quote: After some beer with the curry a quick pee needed before gig start so went off to the Gents only to find it was also the band dressing room (!), and Guy and William Topley were smartening themselves up/changing shirts before going on stage"

*hey psssssttttt ladies.........next time when we want to meet Guy also, we perhaps should go into the men's room too!  :o Haha imagine, most of the time at a gig ladies have to stand in a queue when they need to use the bathroom, but when Guy and Danny are nearby.........it will be busy in the men's bathroom and they will be wondering where all the "men" suddenly come from!* ;D

Uuuhhhh having said that, we have to be dressed as men, so can't wear our sexy outfit! ;D

Fieneke

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »
Big change for Guy and Danny, going from playing stadiums with DS and flying in the Lear jet with MK to changing in the bogs at the blues gigs.

Good for them for not being big-headed and "slumming it" for the music.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 44 queries.