Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 297078 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
No 1 Guitarshop in Sweden has one now. Looks nice, unknown date.

Circa €3500 / £2950.

https://no1guitar.se/sv/elgitarrer/172506-fender-artist-series-mark-knopfler-stratocaster-hot-rod-red.html

Looks dark, possibly Dakota red?

I once saw pictures of all the kind of reds for guitars and, well, some were quite clearly different, others are so similar that I won't notice the difference.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
No 1 Guitarshop in Sweden has one now. Looks nice, unknown date.

Circa €3500 / £2950.

https://no1guitar.se/sv/elgitarrer/172506-fender-artist-series-mark-knopfler-stratocaster-hot-rod-red.html

Looks dark, possibly Dakota red?

I once saw pictures of all the kind of reds for guitars and, well, some were quite clearly different, others are so similar that I won't notice the difference.

Ingo has some good pics (including my guitar!)

https://www.mk-guitar.com/2011/09/27/the-wrong-colour-of-the-first-mark-knopfler-signature-strats/

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Dakota Red always gives me massive GAS.

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
Guys I made progress on the "What it is" sound. It turned out to be trivial. I am 99,99999% sure Mark used his original 1961 on it, with the neck/middle pickup. The 1961, being a vintage Strat, has much weaker pickups than Texas Specials. Weaker means more transparent, less thick. In a funny way, a vintage Strat in neck middle sounds about as full as a Texas Special equipped MK Strat in middle bridge.

You cannot get that exact What It Is tone with the MK Strat. It will sound a little too dark and too thick.

Why Worry on All The Roadrunning is definitely a stock MK Strat with TX Specials. I tried to get that tone with my Masterbuilt 1961 Strat (vintage spec). No chance. My Masterbuilt sounds like early Dire Straits, can't help it ;) The MK Strat immediately delivered.

I will open the can of worms and say out loud proudly: a real MK fan needs both the MK Sig for the modern sound as well as a 1961 copy for his old sound.

Gosh I love Strats!!!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
I am 99,99999% sure Mark used his original 1961 on it, with the neck/middle pickup.

I had an old brazilian magazine called 'Cover Guitarra' that MK said he used his Schecter on WII and STP. He said that he doesn't play that guitar anymore because it have an small neck. But it sounded correct for these couple of songs.

This is the magazine: https://www.estantevirtual.com.br/bugiganga/jazz-editora-cover-guitarra-n%C2%BA-52-mark-knopfler-2292340404?show_suggestion=0

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I am 99,99999% sure Mark used his original 1961 on it, with the neck/middle pickup.

I had an old brazilian magazine called 'Cover Guitarra' that MK said he used his Schecter on WII and STP. He said that he doesn't play that guitar anymore because it have an small neck. But it sounded correct for these couple of songs.

This is the magazine: https://www.estantevirtual.com.br/bugiganga/jazz-editora-cover-guitarra-n%C2%BA-52-mark-knopfler-2292340404?show_suggestion=0

Ha! That's interesting. I love that when you only have a recording, everything's merely a speculation. Even the best ears make mistakes! I love breaking down songs that only exists on the record. You'll never know how it was played, but it's fun to guess.

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado

Rolo do you have a scan?

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk

I've got a late 80's Japanese Fender Strat that I fitted with Tonerider pure vintage pickups ( late 50's/ early 60's tone). That gets very close to the WII / STP tone. ( & Sultans).  Its definitely not the MK sig on those songs, I always thought it must have been the Schecter.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 03:21:01 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

I've got a late 80's Japanese Fender Strat that I fitted with Tonerider pure vintage pickups ( late 50's/ early 60's tone). That gets very close to the WII / STP tone. ( & Sultans).  Its definitely not the MK sig on those songs, I always thought it must have been the Schecter.

Too early for the MK sig.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

the song STP is the 64 white strat (confirmed in interview by Mark) as it was on 2001 tour

for WII, I guess it's the 61 original strat, although an interview claimed it was the schecter. I thnink it was a mistake because at this time Mark most likely used his 61 fender rather than the schecter imho

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

for WII, I guess it's the 61 original strat, although an interview claimed it was the schecter. I thnink it was a mistake because at this time Mark most likely used his 61 fender rather than the schecter imho

That's interesting - don't recall that interview.  Might be true because I never thought he captured that guitar sound again playing it live.   
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado

That's interesting - don't recall that interview.  Might be true because I never thought he captured that guitar sound again playing it live.   

I do not recall Mark using the neck/middle position (which I suspect he did for What It is) in concert on his Sig Strat at all. In my view this is because of the Texas Specials. They sound pretty thick, so he gets a very nice middle / bridge, but the neck/middle gets pretty thick. What It Is sounds more transparent in that position. It can well be he used the Schecter here because he applied the neck middle tone of the Schecter a lot live for "Local Hero" (just check "On The Night" or "A Night In London")

My 1961 Masterbuilt Strat gets me into WII with neck/middle very easily. You just need a hint of drive on it and you control things with your fingers.

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
interesting insight, I always found the guitar sound on STP to be one of the best sounding strats sounds I ever heard.
Did someone ask Guy on his forum? He may have some pictures somewhere of them recording it?

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
I actually found a recording of modern MK with a neck middle combo!

Note that this guitar is not his signature Strat though. I doubt it has Texas Specials. Sounds much more like a vintage voiced Strat to me. Gets into What It Is territory nicely....

MAYBE that guitar is actually a prototype of his vintage 1961 Strat and later he decided to take a swing for a more modern design... look at some little details: it has a "pat pend" instead of the MK Signature on the faceplate, it does have the string tree between the b string and the g string (indicating that this is not a Custom Shop guitar). It has smaller frets, too. Basically looks like an American Vintage Reissue Series in Hot Rod Red... If that was the case these PUs would be 57/62s. Also note the pickups covers and knobs. They are not aged white. Rather vintage white or parchment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:42:18 PM by Tomcaster »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 36 queries.