Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 292970 times)

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Thank you so much guys! What do I need to do to be added to the owners list? ;-)

How do you find out the manufacturing date?

You need to await the MK Sig Guru's approval.  ;)

I'm posting his response to me regarding the very same question I had when I got mine.

Fill in the form below stating it's a Fender Mark Knopfler Signature Series Stratocaster and mention your serial number...

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=174023

Thanks :-) She is from Dec 2010. Having her 10 year jubilee now!

By the way - does anybody know what string gauge Mark currently uses on his Signature guitars? Mine came with 10s...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 08:34:54 AM by Tomcaster »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Welcome Tomcaster, that's a lovely edition you have there and I note the Black case too.
Strings wise, I guess it's down to preference  - personally I've got one with 9s and one with 10s and use them depending what music I'm playing....MK I'm sure would have his Strats the same way....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

Thank you so much guys! What do I need to do to be added to the owners list? ;-)

How do you find out the manufacturing date?

You need to await the MK Sig Guru's approval.  ;)

I'm posting his response to me regarding the very same question I had when I got mine.

Fill in the form below stating it's a Fender Mark Knopfler Signature Series Stratocaster and mention your serial number...

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=174023

Thanks :-) She is from Dec 2010. Having her 10 year jubilee now!

By the way - does anybody know what string gauge Mark currently uses on his Signature guitars? Mine came with 10s...

On the guitar he used for On Every Street on the last tour, and which is donated to charity (see thread), he used 10s. On the guitar he used for Sultans, he used 9s. Pretty sure about this.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
Thanks guys!

I took some time and carefully set the pickup heights. I started at the Fender recommended heights, i.e. you need to depress the string at the last fret of the bottom and top e string respectively and measure the distance to the pole pieces of the respective pickups. For the bass strings, the recommended Fender setting is 3.6mm, for the treble strings 2.4mm. This gives a medium pickup height.

The settings were quite ok but not quite the fun factor of my Masterbuilt 1961 Strat. They were quite vintage sounding in the in between positions but a little shrill in the single coil positions.

I thought "damn, if Knopfler plays these PUs he must have a reason" and I started lowering them further. Then I also changed the tilt. I finally ended at 4mm for both sides. Bear in mind - the pickups are not parallel to the pickguard then because the bottom e magnets are sticking out of the pickup cover more than the top e magnets by about 1mm.

The result with the 4mm is very pleasing. The bridge middle position is very much what Knopfler gets in "Why Worry" with Emmilou Harris. The single coil positions are round and barky, but with enough presence. The pickups are pretty far from the strings so the guitar output is about the same or even slightly lower than of my Master Built 1961 Strat.

The Texas Specials give you the modern sound really. A good player can use anything to convincingly approach the early Dire Straits stuff but once you play the MK Strat back to back with a 1961 original or replica, the different character of the tone becomes obvious. This is not bad at all - the MK Sig is not worse, it is different and this is the fun factor about it. I totally get why people like this guitar and it is good that those who missed it can order it at least as a non-signature Custom Shop version.

Hope that makes sense.

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
Another one for the geeks. Seems that Mark (still) likes to keep the tremolo assembly on his old 1961 Strat decked with the body. This means that the springs exercise just enough force for the term plate not to lift of the body.

I have full understanding if the admin wants to remove me from the forum for too much geek stuff.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
That nitro finish sure is frail!  ;D

Total waste, a real tragedy for the eyes.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
That nitro finish sure is frail!  ;D

Total waste, a real tragedy for the eyes.

Why would anyone want to do that is beyond me.....

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

OfflineStephanG

• Guitar George
Oh dear, oh dear!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Usa-Customshop-Mark-Knopfler-Model-Se12273-/402648417012?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

they have been trying to sell that for a long time now... I've followed it before, over a year ago,  and so obviously no one has touched it.... with good reason...

and misadvised as a "custom shop" which it isn't..

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
I'm amazed with the bad quality of the painting, I've seen many of these MK signature guitars like that...  :smack
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
What a shame.

I actually find the pickguard worse than the relicing.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

I've seen that one before. A horrendously poor attempt at relicing a fine guitar. Even among the professional luthiers, there are only a few that can make convincingly relic'ed guitars.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 41 queries.