Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 292881 times)

hunter

I suppose it what classes as expensive. If you are a working musician those numbers don't sound too high, you can claim it back as tools for work. Vintage guitars start getting expensive though.

It's not insanely expensive. I guess like a high-end boutique guitar today.

Vintage guitars are getting silly expensive due to scarcity and demand.

hunter

But what about "vintage" pre CBS Strats then? Of course, by this time even the 1954 Strat would be only 25 years old, the equivalent of buying a 1997 Strat today. I think it wasn't only the heavy touring thing, but just MK wanting to be different and try new things. Somebody would hand him this Schecter and he would go "I want that" like anybody would have even today.

Pre-CBS guitars were better, but as you say MK was always open to try new things, so it was probably a combination of things. He was a youngish successful musician with suddenly lots of money, he started hanging around the cool music stores in NYC, and could buy whatever he wanted. I'm sure there weren't many guitars in the UK at the time with the quality of and as exotic as Schecters. Also, in those years, he didn't change guitars so often during shows, so his main guitar had to be very reliable. A Schecter seems like a very good choice.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I think the eighties fashion was to play on "modern" guitars : superstrats, steinberger, schecter, pensa, and all stuff like that
you can see that all guitarists during the eighties tried new gear, digital effects, etc... Gilmour played his BMG pickups strat with Boss stompboxes etc...
digital recording was the new technology, and all music business had the aim to get the "perfect sound"

and then, in the nineties, after Kravitz went back to analog, using old sounboards and vintage mics... after grunge artists came back to old stompboxes like big muffs, vintage guitars and all, then you saw "old" artists using old gear again. Mark got his 58 and 59 LP, the jurassic strat... Gilmour used his big muff again, many artists recorded analog again, inclunding Mark, etc...

it depends on eras. When EC bought his 6 fifties strats in late sixties, they were not expensive.

But now of course, a strat from the fifties and sixties have extreme big value. because many guitarists made the "vintage guitars fashion". One of the first was Page when he got his 59 LP in late sixties.

But at the same time, Hendrix didn't play on "vintage" strats. He played on guitars maded during years he was playing : you can see him with 65-66 strats in his early years, while he played 68 strats in woodstock and Wight

Great analysis. I always laughed how Mark used this fancy Pensa with a Floyd Rose and locked everything, but never used a whammy bar on this guitar :lol

I liked more the sound of proper Strats anyway as he played in The Bug vs. everything else on a Pensa. So his later decision to play proper different guitars, including a Signature Strat and LP was so amazing.

But the truth is, he could play even a Mexican Strat and an Epiphone LP and would be as great of a guitar hero as he is. I wish he'd played cheap guitars more often, but Danelectro seems to be the only one, and Reverend to a certain extent.
The Strat on The Bug was Schecter anyway! (With Fender decal).

And he played Mexican strats in 2002 and nobody could tell the difference…
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
The Strat on The Bug was Schecter anyway! (With Fender decal).

And he played Mexican strats in 2002 and nobody could tell the difference…

That The Bug Schecter is something extraordinary. It certainly has a soul, and the fact that MK still owns it and never sold it, or auctioned it or something, tells a lot. Out of all his guitars, should he offer me one, this white Strat would be on top of the list.

Mexican guitars are so well-built, it's a great alternative for somebody who don't want to spend the full price of "proper" guitars, but gets almost the same experience. They cut corners on cases and case candy more than on anything.

hunter

A Mexican Fender, and even the lowest-level Squier, will sound great in the hands of a pro, provided it intonates well and stays in tune. In the case of Mark, the guitar would have been really well set up by Glenn Saggers and plugged into a great amp. Plus Mark sounds like Mark whatever he plays.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I have a Squier Jaguar and it's a fantastic guitar.

Fender style guitars are pretty simple at the end of the day and you can build and sell a nicely functioning one for not much money.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Fender style guitars are pretty simple at the end of the day and you can build and sell a nicely functioning one for not much money.

I just realized Squier actually even has a $100 SA-150 Dreadnought guitar! A whole acoustic guitar for $100, that's insane. And surely, it looks and feels like a piece of furniture because it's laminated wood and everything, but it plays nice and you can learn everything on it, it sounds decent.

Like cheap phones, cheap guitars get better and better, and Indonesian, Korean, and China-made instruments get to the point of questioning, are these USA-made ones THAT much better to pay sometimes 10-20 times extra? Because, there are China-made guitars not with laminated wood, but proper wood also. This, again, makes me think about affordable signature guitars. You can make an amazingly good MK Strat for $800, yes, it won't be a collector's dream like the current ones, but at least that would be a guitar you can actually buy. Like John Mayer's SE PRS.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Because as I said, I don't get the point of professional-grade signature instruments. If you're a professional, you probably already have multiple professional-grade instruments built to your own specifications, so all these especially Mark's acoustic guitars which cost like a car have absolutely no meaning to me, other than simply pleasing die-hard fans and collectors. I understand that the point is to "play the same guitar the artist plays", but you can't play like the artist anyway, especially MK, so what's the point.

To me, a signature instrument means the artist endorsing a brand, a guitar, preferably an affordable one, for people to learn how to play, not for collectors to fight over it. Our man has stopped signing guitars because people get overly crazy about it, at the same time launching a line of guitars with a price of an apartment. Luckily, a lot of artists get that signature instrument must be affordable, and Joe Bonamassa, Brian May, John Mayer, everybody sells affordable versions of their instruments.

If I want to play like Tommy Emmanuel, the last thing I want to do is to go out and buy his $10,000 signature Maton 808 TE Personal acoustic. No, thanks, a "regular" Gibson will do...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

I just realized Squier actually even has a $100 SA-150 Dreadnought guitar! A whole acoustic guitar for $100, that's insane. And surely, it looks and feels like a piece of furniture because it's laminated wood and everything, but it plays nice and you can learn everything on it, it sounds decent.

Like cheap phones, cheap guitars get better and better, and Indonesian, Korean, and China-made instruments get to the point of questioning, are these USA-made ones THAT much better to pay sometimes 10-20 times extra? Because, there are China-made guitars not with laminated wood, but proper wood also. This, again, makes me think about affordable signature guitars. You can make an amazingly good MK Strat for $800, yes, it won't be a collector's dream like the current ones, but at least that would be a guitar you can actually buy. Like John Mayer's SE PRS.

I used to have a cheap Yamaha acoustic and that was a great guitar, I don't know how easy they are to get used in Russia but I would recommend them (F-310). They sell for around £50 used on ebay here in the UK.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I used to have a cheap Yamaha acoustic and that was a great guitar, I don't know how easy they are to get used in Russia but I would recommend them (F-310). They sell for around £50 used on ebay here in the UK.

I've had multiple cheap Yamahas in my life actually! They make these cheap F-something guitars for half a century already, if not more. I have one from the 70s that is made out of laminate but sounds as if it's a solid top. Insane stuff, really. And made in Japan!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144549959360?hash=item21a7d956c0:g:CiEAAOSwci9ifEzq

2013 Fender Mark Knopfler Stratocaster Hot Rod Red for sale for US $5,699.00

Wow! Give me two, please!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

Ow much!!!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Ow much!!!!!

Apparently, the guitar has been sold! Or he just ended the listing. I forgot to contact the seller to say he'd better list it for 10 grand, 5.7 is too little of a price.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
It says the seller ended it, I guess it sold some other way.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 43 queries.