Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Amp Help  (Read 7084 times)

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
Amp Help
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:07:23 AM »
As a few of you know, I picked up an MK Stratocaster, but never having a guitar before i'm going
to try and learn a few basic chords.
So to do that i'm going to need a very basic amp, have been looking at this one any opinions?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/fender-fender-mustang-i-amp-v-2-2300100000-2300100000/10251246.aspx?path=314f1d0d592e69b93186149a8fa7a13ben02

Brian
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Amp Help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:13:58 AM »
Personally Brian,

although I'm sure the Mustang MK I might be ok - only 20 watts, but personally I have got the MK II (40 watts) and also even an old Fender Champion (30 watts with built in effects) and they are really lovely and I love the sounds they both make.

Fender Mustang II -
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-mustang-ii-v2-230v-uk.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CLrn57Cu0rsCFYbHtAod2QkAoQ

Fender Champion -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-CHAMPION-30-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-NICE-CLEAN-UNIT-FRESH-OUT-OF-AN-ESTATE-LOOK-/291045755493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c3adca65#ht_422wt_1007
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
Particularly given your taste in hifi, I would recommend a small valve amp. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
I'd say that was a very good choice for a first amp. They have a good rep and you won't need more amp than that until you start playing with a band.

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »
Personally Brian,
although I'm sure the Mustang MK I might be ok - only 20 watts, but personally I have got the MK II (40 watts)
Knopflerfan

As I do not need power at the moment, and 20/40 watts is double the wattage, put not much loudness increase
and if you have a Mustang MK 2, it must be OK. If I ever do need more power (wattage) I will purchase a head unit
and run the guitar though my tube amps @540 wpc and B&W 802D speakers ;D ;D ;D

Dusty

Yes I have a few valves (tubes) lying around, but I also have 2 solid state amps on other systems.

I'd say that was a very good choice for a first amp. They have a good rep and you won't need more amp than that until you start playing with a band.
Jake
I think it will work out for my use at the moment, Do you know of any band that needs a  61 year old geezer that has never played a guitar
in his life and has lost the dexterity in his fingers.  ::) :lol

Thanks for your help guys, I have placed an order for one.

Brian
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »
For practice/use in the house a 5 or even a 1 watt amp is enough!   Bear in mind that most valve guitar amps don't produce their best sound until they are "cooking" a bit and turning a 20 or 30 watt amp up to get into that zone is going to cause a reaction from other occupants of the house & even neighbours !  The Yamaha THR10 series solid state practice amps have very good reviews & I find my Blackstar HT5 combo pretty versatile, although it doesn't do a really clean Fender amp sound. I have a solid state Princeton Chorus amp for "clean" and because it's not a valve amp the sound is pretty consistent even at low volumes. A multi FX pedal is also a good investment if you are playing at low volume as you can create heavily overdriven (and other) sounds at sensible levels.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
I have also got as well as my Fender amps a VOX 'Lead' Amplug which is great for personal practice and getting in your own world!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vox-AMPLUG-LD-Effect-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001GGYF4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388481056&sr=8-1&keywords=vox+amplug+lead

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »
Brian
it all depends on your max budget

if you can tell us the MK songs you like more it would help too

As the amp is being used as a practice amp, my budget is not very high, around $100.00 cnd

In my last post, I had mention that I had ordered the Mustang II (20 watt) amp, well it arrived today
looks nice and the 2 notes I can play sound good. (it's a little bright)
Having lots of problems with my left fingers placing them correctly and the strings really cut into my soft finger ends, hope to have better control as I practise.

As for MK songs, Romeo, Postcards, Telegraph, Seattle Etc. Not that I will ever be able to play any of them.

Thanks for your help Brian

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:34:35 AM »
Personally Brian,
although I'm sure the Mustang MK I might be ok - only 20 watts, but personally I have got the MK II (40 watts)
Knopflerfan

As I do not need power at the moment, and 20/40 watts is double the wattage, put not much loudness increase
and if you have a Mustang MK 2, it must be OK. If I ever do need more power (wattage) I will purchase a head unit
and run the guitar though my tube amps @540 wpc and B&W 802D speakers ;D ;D ;D

Dusty

Yes I have a few valves (tubes) lying around, but I also have 2 solid state amps on other systems.

Jake
I think it will work out for my use at the moment, Do you know of any band that needs a  61 year old geezer that has never played a guitar
in his life and has lost the dexterity in his fingers.  ::) :lol

Thanks for your help guys, I have placed an order for one.

Brian
Brian, you are KILLING me!!!!
First of all... this was a funny post.  :)
Secondly... so impressed that you bought an MK strat without knowing how to play.  I want one too, but I wasn't daring enough!!!  Well, thanks for the courage!!  I will start shopping for one if:
1) I still have a job after February
2) the job I have is not the same job that has been robbing me and my family of my life over the past 2 months!!!
3) I get through my other goal of organizing my MK database (including acquiring new stuff!)
 8)
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 03:41:32 AM »
Brian, you are KILLING me!!!!
First of all... this was a funny post.  :)
Secondly... so impressed that you bought an MK strat without knowing how to play.  I want one too, but I wasn't daring enough!!!  Well, thanks for the courage!!  I will start shopping for one if:
1) I still have a job after February
2) the job I have is not the same job that has been robbing me and my family of my life over the past 2 months!!!
3) I get through my other goal of organizing my MK database (including acquiring new stuff!)
 8)

Lis

I can be a funny person, when we met in Oct I was not feeling well
and all I wanted to do was hide in a shell, remember I fell asleep and misted my plane.
NEXT TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT!
I hope you do still have a job, so you can save some cash and meet up with me at a MK concert.
As for you job stealing you life, I'm self employed for 35 years my job HAS stole my life.
When your database is organized, please pass it on

The Mk start is beautiful even if you do not play like me, it so nice to own one
so get out there and purchase one, you will not regret it.

See you soon Brian

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »
Happy new year all!

Brian, persevere with some simple finger movements on the fret board to get both your wrist and fingers used to their 'new' role! also your fingers will gradually get used to playing the strings almost to the point where you will hardly have to press the string down to play the note/chords...

Lis,
Do hope things work out okay for you with regards your job and that you are able to pick up an MK sometime. Good things come to those who wait!!

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »
Knopflerfan and Brian,  :D
Thanks for the encouragement!!  :wave

Brian... I remember you weren't feeling well, such a bummer!  But the show was so amazing, and I am glad you could hang out for a bit after the show -- definitely a fun time!!  I will keep you posted on the database, and will be happy to share.

If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »
As a few of you know, I picked up an MK Stratocaster, but never having a guitar before i'm going
to try and learn a few basic chords.
So to do that i'm going to need a very basic amp, have been looking at this one any opinions?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/fender-fender-mustang-i-amp-v-2-2300100000-2300100000/10251246.aspx?path=314f1d0d592e69b93186149a8fa7a13ben02

Brian

Hi, Brian! Although I am not the man to help you with an amp, I'm happy to hear that you finally got hold on a MK Strat :)
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
Brian, persevere with some simple finger movements on the fret board to get both your wrist and fingers used to their 'new' role! also your fingers will gradually get used to playing the strings almost to the point where you will hardly have to press the string down to play the note/chords...

Knopflerfan

Iam doing 10/15 mins a day , just easy finger movements on the fret board.
Not ready to give in yet.

Brian

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:10:45 PM »
Brian,
That's excellent - well done! little and often is the key. And if it's just not working put the Strat down and come back to it another time. The sound and general feel of the MK is awesome isn't it?

Here is a link to my 'Youtube' vids which may be of some help.
I am going to re-do them soon as this time I will use the SE00616 Strat which has the tremolo in use on it....

http://www.youtube.com/user/47005steve/videos

Regards
Steve

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.