Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Straits US Tour  (Read 12863 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: The Straits US Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
If its about branding... what about the Dire Straits Legends? They even use the whole name  ;D

I agree that the name its confusing, but if you take a look at many of the DS tribute bands that are touring, their names are always like that, except when they choose song titles or references like "Solid rock", "Rockaway" or "Brothers in band" (the last two, Spanish bands, excellents...)

The fact that Alan and Chris were "Straits" could had been the excuse to use the name, but they should had been more creative on it, using another name, related to any song or whatever, and then add the "two former Dire Straits musicians" that its kind of necessary if you want any agent to book you...

Maybe so, but the tribute bands don't have former members in them and don't use banners with the line "performing their greatest hits."

Also, that issue regarding hand picking the musicians is just insulting and unprofessional sounding for those who weren't successful (if there were any).  It seems the way they go about their business is wrong and the touring is just a way of making money for them - the whole thing stinks IMO.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
At the very least they should pay royalties for making money from performing MK's songs, because according to Guy they don't!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
At the very least they should pay royalties for making money from performing MK's songs, because according to Guy they don't!

If they had to pay royalties, they would.

What its legal, its legal, they are touring performing songs with copyright using agents, venues, proffesional musicians etc etc, if they are not paying royalties, its because thats not needed for whatever the legal reason is.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »

If they had to pay royalties, they would.

What its legal, its legal, they are touring performing songs with copyright using agents, venues, proffesional musicians etc etc, if they are not paying royalties, its because thats not needed for whatever the legal reason is.

Doesn't make it morally right though.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »
If its about branding... what about the Dire Straits Legends? They even use the whole name  ;D

I agree that the name its confusing, but if you take a look at many of the DS tribute bands that are touring, their names are always like that, except when they choose song titles or references like "Solid rock", "Rockaway" or "Brothers in band" (the last two, Spanish bands, excellents...)

The fact that Alan and Chris were "Straits" could had been the excuse to use the name, but they should had been more creative on it, using another name, related to any song or whatever, and then add the "two former Dire Straits musicians" that its kind of necessary if you want any agent to book you...

Maybe so, but the tribute bands don't have former members in them and don't use banners with the line "performing their greatest hits."

Also, that issue regarding hand picking the musicians is just insulting and unprofessional sounding for those who weren't successful (if there were any).  It seems the way they go about their business is wrong and the touring is just a way of making money for them - the whole thing stinks IMO.

I read and heard the same things that all of you, and my interpretations are different about it, don
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
They make money out of performing MKs songs and stab him in the back at the same time!   Whatever, without MK it's meaningless to me.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
Dont forget these muppets are gonna record new material. Surely they cant under the Straits name. If Alan wanted to get back into the music business why could he not have started his own band with its own identity. I would have been more interested in that.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 01:50:18 PM »
Also, Scotland isn't even or their radar!  A band like that are now going not only to Europe but now to the US and haven't even been to Scotland yet!  Even 1 Direction came to the SECC!  Not that I want them, indeed I deem it a badge of honour that they haven't been. ;D

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »
why are they different to a tribute band.?

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »
Micky Feat is a great bass player that has recorded with almost everybody, Mark Knopfler included.

I agree Julio, but thats really not the point here. The point is the phrasing of the statement, which is simply an affront against THE ex DS bass player (note that there are not "players", it was only one!), and we are pretty sure that John was NOT willing to participate in this kind of story.

Actually John was keen on participate, at least in the benefic show at the RAH, in fact, The Straits idea came from a show Alan, Chris, Phil and John did together in Italy with Marco Caviglia
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:34:01 PM by junkiedoll »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »
LOL!   There's nothing like a discussion about "The Straits" to re-energise the forum when things are a tad slow!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
I strongly recommend any of you, if you have the chance, to go and see them playing, without prejudices, I
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:46:57 PM by jbaent »

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
LOL!   There's nothing like a discussion about "The Straits" to re-energise the forum when things are a tad slow!   ;D

I agreed with you superval. :thumbsup :clap  It's been quite unexciting in the MK's world.  :wave

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »

I am sure they pay royalties !!! Every cover band on a scale like this has to - or indirectly, the one who runs the venue or organizes the gig.
However, Guy would probably not know who pays and who not as they do not pay directly to MK or his management but to the 'performing rights society' (how do you call it?) of the country where the gig is, in Germany this is the GEMA who later transfers royalties to the artist.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »

I am sure they pay royalties !!! Every cover band on a scale like this has to - or indirectly, the one who runs the venue or organizes the gig.
However, Guy would probably not know who pays and who not as they do not pay directly to MK or his management but to the 'performing rights society' (how do you call it?) of the country where the gig is, in Germany this is the GEMA who later transfers royalties to the artist.
Dont think thats right, think about the 1000's of bands across the world playing rubbish covers at weddings. The Straits are no different just a larger scale.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.