Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: How Mark is dealing with his musical past  (Read 5803 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: How Mark is dealing with his musical past
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
I don't think he chooses the songs regarding good or bad memories in his life

R&J is about a sad moment in his life, and he still plays it

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I'm sorry folks but I just don't get this "oh, he's years older now than he was during DS days and we must accept that" or "we should be thankful he's still playing."  Well there are many guitarists and other musicians still performing regularly who are older than Mark and put far more effort into their performances than Mark does these days.  Mark has never exactly been one to dance around on stage but he's pretty static and never really breaks sweat so there's no excuse.  He's just lazy IMO.

He's also lazy in his practicing and he's admitted to that in interviews.  Maybe if he practiced more like he used to in the old days then songs like Sultans and playing the set a bit more up tempo wouldn't be an issue for him because he'd be a lot sharper.

It says a lot when the audience react tremendously to a crappy song like IUTC which is just a rehash of Two Young Lovers (a song slated by Knopfler himself).  It only got a reaction like that because it was a welcome up tempo number in a set with mainly slow steady songs.

I don't like to criticise Mark like this because it is pretty harsh but I know he can give so much more that he's doing if he'd only put more effort in.  Many of the solo's in TR last year were fantastic but I kind of got the impression he didn't bother for the rest of the show and thought more about having a good time on stage himself rather than giving his audience a good time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:34:39 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
Sorry Ladies and Gents but am I missing the point here as it feels that some of these entry's are intent on putting MK down and just curious as to why?

MK is still MK and although older now is still a wonderful Baladeer and exceptional guitarist in my eyes. I can't grasp the 'He has to play things slower now'  - well he does but I think he expresses more from the Guitar nowadays and actually makes it sing as opposed to the DS days!

After all peeps he is 20+ years older than when he stormed through SOS and TR on the 'On every Street' tour....

Hell guys get a grip! and enjoy the moment....

I agree Knopflerfan! :thumbsup 

I would rather MK be like he is than like Springsteen, who rushes madly around the stage!    Mark is not lazy, he's just laid-back and I like it!   ;)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

I would rather MK be like he is than like Springsteen, who rushes madly around the stage!    Mark is not lazy, he's just laid-back and I like it!   ;)
[/quote]

Oh, I agree - I don't wan't to see him leap around on stage either.  That just isn't him.  I was just using that to say he isn't exerting any energy on stage in a physical sense by moving around.  Maybe if the set was a bit more energetic and up tempo then that would make him break sweat!

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »
Just an opinion from a long time songwriter.....

I look back at the stuff I wrote 25 years ago with distain and wouldn't wish to perform any of it these days, so I can understand the reluctance on Marks part to perform old songs.

Mark has grown, his writing skills have grown and he chooses to seldom look back. As for 'better or worse' that's just an opinion. Its like a tree, you can look at a 1000, how they have grown, what branches are the strongest, and express an opinion as to your favourite. Its still just an opinion, each has grown in its own unique way, just like our Mark, and a million other musicians in the forest since the first caveman banged on a rock.

Personally I'm a lover of all his stuff, I find there is something for me to learn in his catalogue in its entirety from start to present day.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
Just an opinion from a long time songwriter.....

I look back at the stuff I wrote 25 years ago with distain and wouldn't wish to perform any of it these days, so I can understand the reluctance on Marks part to perform old songs.

Mark has grown, his writing skills have grown and he chooses to seldom look back. As for 'better or worse' that's just an opinion. Its like a tree, you can look at a 1000, how they have grown, what branches are the strongest, and express an opinion as to your favourite. Its still just an opinion, each has grown in its own unique way, just like our Mark, and a million other musicians in the forest since the first caveman banged on a rock.

Personally I'm a lover of all his stuff, I find there is something for me to learn in his catalogue in its entirety from start to present day.

Do you really think his songs are better written now than in the early DS days?  I think pre-BIA were his best days in terms of songwriting by some distance.

While I'm on my soapbox about laziness I may as well add his arrangements for the shows.  In the DS days we had arrangements like Sultans and TOL which were far removed from the originals but now the new songs are performed exactly like the album on stage.  No effort to go and try a new arrangement.  The exception last tour of KOG is just an extended play-out with Mark soloing over it so that hardly even counts.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:06 PM »
dmg - MK has toured every year for the last four years and given us two fantastic albums, one a double, plus worked on other people's albums - and you say he's lazy!    Could you do that?    :disbelief
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
Blimey DMG,

I and Mandy think that Mark has well and truly excelled with his song writing and looking back yes the BIA album was a very good era with regard to song writing but the solo material is far, far superior and so has his guitar playing albeit mellowed nowadays but I for one listen to 99% Solo with a little bit of DS for good measure but honestly sometimes say Walk of Life or MFN Comes on at Rugby and I find it cringe-worthy now especially as there is far better material he has done.....

You say each song is performed more or less like the album 'Live' so what?
I do and I know a lot of people who also pay their hard earned to hear just that - because it is live.
And MK Live is 'something else' and believe me Ive seen some artists in my time and I will pay anything to see/hear MK Live!
MK Doesn't need to prove anything to anyone - he is who he is!
Pays your money takes your choice.......

For the record it wouldn't bother me in the slightest If I never heard any DS Songs 'live' again!

Grrr!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 06:06:11 PM »
PS: DMG, If you want a singer/Guitarist with some get up and go give Joe Bonamassa a go - he is awesome!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »
I did say pre-BIA.  I think the first four albums were best in songwriting terms - no doubt in my mind.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
I did say pre-BIA.  I think the first four albums were best in songwriting terms - no doubt in my mind.

Excuse me for this question, but because I am not a native English speaking person (which you have surely noticed), I like to ask. Do you mean that songwriting is whole song: melody, lyrics, instrumental arrangement. Or do you mean just lyrics?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »

Excuse me for this question, but because I am not a native English speaking person (which you have surely noticed), I like to ask. Do you mean that songwriting is whole song: melody, lyrics, instrumental arrangement. Or do you mean just lyrics?

Sorry, I wasn't specific.  I meant lyrics.

OfflineBloodGator

• Guitar George
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
Its funny you mention Springsteen. I asked in another forum where i could post about non MK stuff but this seems like the perfect place now. The first album i ever fell in love with was The Rising in around 2005, i was about 11 at the time. But after that i didn't really follow up on Bruce and look into his other stuff. My dad played STP one day and i then went through my phase of playing nothing but MK for about 2 years. But after hearing Darkness On The Edge of Town one day i looked up Springsteen further and have since listened to every bit of work they have. Now, having an obsession with both artists i feel allows me to analyse them  both. You mention the live performances there and i think that's the biggest difference between the two. I saw MK in Dublin in 2011 before Dylan and while it was special and i was incredibly excited there is no presence there. No real interaction. And as someone else pointed it out he is very lazy in his performances. Bruce on the other hand, well i don't even have to go there do i? My first Springsteen concert was in 2012 in the RDS in Dublin, it was the second night he was there and i regretted so much not buying a ticket for the first night as well. Without doubt the greatest 3 and a half hours of my life. I wondered how long it would be before he came back so when he announced 5 dates in Ireland in 2013 i booked 4 of them, the man is a genius. I absolutely love Mark but i think its safe to say, for me, Bruce is a much better artist. Even as a guitarist he is superb, not as good as Mark but he aint half bad! When you look at their catalogues, Bruce's wins for me hands down. So many epic albums and he covers such a wide genre. STP reminds me JUST how good Mark is. But i don't think he has a song for every mood or emotion. Whereas i think Bruce does. Is there anyone here who loves Springsteen just as much as MK? Do we have any huge fans?

LoveExpresso

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »
Wow, a lot happend today while I was away. Our dear dmg seems to be in the minor position here, so please forgive me folks if I try and to back him a bit, although I am sure he's not in need of that.
I once made the same remark about Mark being "lazy" many years ago and got a lot of opposition then. What I meant was not "lazy" in the sence of hanging around and sleep until 15:00 am, but a certain comfort... always Chuck, always Guy, always the same band... always the same routine.. that makes him feeling good, feeling safe I presume. Also Telegraph Road is the end of the main set every time, and so on. But he is as he is. I also understand what dmg says about the song quality. The true and timeless gems (Sultans, Romeo, Where Do You Think You're Going and and and..) have all been written in another time. The songs from today are from another quality. The old ones where driven by the mind of guitarist, the new ones come from the situation, the lyrics.. I am happy to have this big catalogue, and I am happy that Mark is still going. For me there is ONE skipper on Privateering, and that is pretty good for a double imho.

And I like IUTC by the way because it is exactly what Mark was always talking about when he spoke about Uncle Kingsley playing boogie-woogie. i love the Stuttgart version from the recordings, it is pretty on fire, and live I have to admit that it was close to the best moment on the first London show 2013 seeing Mark shredding away on this song!  ;)

I hope this first new thread from me doesn't bring unease and fire in a group of people I recall being friends?  :wave

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 08:00:50 PM »
My point of view as a fan that attends MK shows since 1996 is that I
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 40 queries.