Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: What is your all time favourite MK live concert?  (Read 12343 times)

LoveExpresso

Re: What is your all time favourite MK live concert?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »
Excellent recording. My Southbound is also faded out.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:07 AM »
As a result of this thread, I decided to watch one of my favourite DS concerts, Basel '92 last night - I hadn't watched it for a few years, so I was curious how I would feel about it now, after having been a fan of MK solo for so long.   

Of course, no doubt, it was a great concert and it is still on my list of favourites, because it made such a great impression on me at that time, but I have to say that it was a concert with a definite 80s feel, even though it was '92 and it made me realise just how glad I am that MK was wise enough to "put the band to bed" and move on, because if DS had stayed together as a band and didn't change direction in some way, I don't think I would still be a fan today.   R&J, which is one of my favourite DS songs and never fails to move me, did nothing for me and I even resorted to fast-forward and TR was spoiled for me by the saxophone, in fact, I much prefer the arrangements of both that we have now.  SOS was as wonderful as ever, but the stripped-down 4-piece is more to my taste.

Anyway "The Straits" can continue to give pleasure to those who still yearn for those days, but for me I'm just so happy that Mark has moved on and me with him!     :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
Totally agree with all you have said Val :clap

I am so very glad too MK put DS to bed...

Still like to watch TR on that particular dvd as it is rather storming!! but aside from perhaps Sultans as well that's it...
Solo material so far superior IMHO....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 10:35:05 AM »
I do think, though, that Alchemy has stood the test of time much better and I still love watching it occasionally.  Maybe it's the intimacy of the venue.    R&J and TR were much better too!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinestratocasteph

• Local Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »
The concert from the BBC Arena documentary.
Mark is on fire, and I think it is the last one with brother David.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
Yes the arena documentary is good too. Alchemy re-mastered on blu-ray is an absolute must have and therefore my Fave available concert! R&J is skipped!! Being able to watch MK and lads in 3D is something else!!! The sound isnt bad either....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:49:43 AM by Knopflerfan »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
The Basel '92 concert is very good but I agree that R&J is better now and was also better back in '91 when it wasn't linked with HF and had the MK solo at the end instead of the PF one.  I've been listening lately to a great version from Boston '01 and I think that's the best ever.  Really nice vocal and great solo.

Sorry to spoil your thunder Val but you can't comment on Sultans and say you "prefer the 4-piece now" because we don't actually have any version now!!! ::)

As for TR, well I've never really enjoyed that from the OES tour;  it always felt a bit rushed.  The final song should be a bit special I think and this just didn't do it for me.  The sax solo is certainly better than no solo at all though! ::)  Best versions of TR are from 1996-'05.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »

Sorry to spoil your thunder Val but you can't comment on Sultans and say you "prefer the 4-piece now" because we don't actually have any version now!!! ::)

LOL!   You know what I meant, I'm sure dmg!     ;D

EDIT:   This is what I actually said:      "SOS was as wonderful as ever, but the stripped-down 4-piece is more to my taste."      ;)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:14:01 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »

LOL!   You know what I meant, I'm sure dmg!     ;D

EDIT:   This is what I actually said:      "SOS was as wonderful as ever, but the stripped-down 4-piece is more to my taste."      ;)

Stickler for details! ::)

LoveExpresso

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »
dmg, why do we have no 4-piece-version now???  :hmm  It is played 4-piece since 2001 (?) or 2005 and ever since... and we had enough versions on the 2013 tour to choose from, so I am sorry but I don't get what you mean....

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
I think DMG was merely commenting on MK's various interview's when he more or less stated that he may not play SOS again, but he has since and of course will!

He will never NOT play SOS again thats far too obvious.

Anyway I'm not going to steal your thunder Val but agree the four piece SOS is tops!! ;)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »
Well I admit that there were some great versions of Sultans from 2001 (Lyon, for example) but I'm not going to admit to preferring any since then to that on the Basel '92 recording.  Sorry, just my opinion. :)

Also, he didn't play Sultans on any regular basis from pretty early on in the tour and said at Bridport after the 2013 European tour that he doesn't think they play it at all now (or something like that).  That says to me that he doesn't intend to play it again sadly.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
Well I admit that there were some great versions of Sultans from 2001 (Lyon, for example) but I'm not going to admit to preferring any since then to that on the Basel '92 recording.  Sorry, just my opinion. :)

Also, he didn't play Sultans on any regular basis from pretty early on in the tour and said at Bridport after the 2013 European tour that he doesn't think they play it at all now (or something like that).  That says to me that he doesn't intend to play it again sadly.

There was a spectacularly terrible one from 2001 too - Chicago!   :o   

The ones I have liked in recent years have been Manchester 2010, Istanbul 2013 and Liverpool 2013. 

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »

The ones I have liked in recent years have been Manchester 2010, Istanbul 2013 and Liverpool 2013.

You can't dismiss a version because of one error (if you did that then every version since 2008 would have to be dismissed ;)) - the rest of the song is actually rather good and full of energy and the solo inspired, unlike the later versions.  It's also played with enthusiasm and some pace. :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »

You can't dismiss a version because of one error (if you did that then every version since 2008 would have to be dismissed ;)) - the rest of the song is actually rather good and full of energy and the solo inspired, unlike the later versions.  It's also played with enthusiasm and some pace. :)

No, it's definitely Chicago 2001 -  it was a disaster, not just an odd note!   ::)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 42 queries.