Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 'Joe Bonamassa' thread  (Read 28793 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: My passion for Joe Bonamassa thread!!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 12:26:59 PM »
Since seeing MK on the last tour and most probably for the last time my attention turns further to JB albeit with a main focus still on MK (of course) but I've just purchased the 'Commemorative VIP' package for his latest LIVE show promoting his new album which was recorded at Abbey Road and which is to be streamed worldwide on Sunday 20th September 2020.

https://jbonamassa.com/streaming/worldwide-concert/

A few more Bonamassa links to MK which some may not know:

*Chad Cromwell plays drums on three tracks on Joe's 'Dust Bowl' album
*Jim Cox has played Piano with Joe....

*Another amazing fact is that here in my town was a music venue called 'Mr Kyps' and before it became a music venue it was my middle school.
In 2005 and also 10 years later in 2015 Joe played this little venue obviously in 2005 as a relative unknown but in 2015 as a rather well known star!!!! And so Joe has played guitar in my old school hall!!!!

* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 12:32:46 PM »
I love the guy, follow him on Instagram, he's awesome. Seems like his love for vintage guitars is the biggest love towards vintage guitars I've ever seen. His voice is not my cup of tea, though, but his collaborations with other artists like Beth Hart are mind-blowingly awesome. I remember hearing "I'll Take Care Of You" for the first time and my jaw was literally on the floor. THAT guitar, THAT voice.

hunter

Re: The Joe Bonamassa thread!!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »
Joe's a phenomenal player, and his success is amazing considering he has no record label supporting him. It's all him and his little management group.

His weakest link, though, is the songwriting. I've listened to almost everything he's released, and nothing struck me or stuck with me.

My favorite setting that Joe appears in is the side project Rock Candy Funk Party. Great fun, great playing and catchy tunes.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 07:58:13 AM »
Joe's a phenomenal player, and his success is amazing considering he has no record label supporting him. It's all him and his little management group.

His weakest link, though, is the songwriting. I've listened to almost everything he's released, and nothing struck me or stuck with me.

My favorite setting that Joe appears in is the side project Rock Candy Funk Party. Great fun, great playing and catchy tunes.

Not sure I agree with regards Joe's songwriting especially in the later albums (Different shades of Blue, Blues of desperation & Redemption) as both his wording, singing and playing just seem to get stronger.

As a track 'The Ghost of Macon Jones' is a particular fave for me....

Where the river keeps on rollin', time marches on
The sun hides in the shadows, you know where you belong
You walk in the silence readin' names on the stones
You can roll with the tide, but you can't hide
From the ghost of Macon Jones
Well they always came to church, sat up in the back
Drank the holy water, dapper dressed in black
Away from the rich folk where they let down his bones
Now they whisper at the sermons
They can hear the ghost of Macon Jones
From the time he was a child, it was easy to make friends
Some swore they found, right up to the end
When he jumped off that bridge they just watched and went back home
They all cried to their mommas that they saw
The ghost of Macon Jones
In the nights, right along
In your fight, just stay strong
In the ill-fated wind, just go
Yeah you need to unlearn, what you've been told
No one knows what happened, 'cause the truth will often lie
Widows swear he loved 'em, he was born to make them cry
Sometimes a man believes he's destined to go at this life alone
If you head down that cold river you'll feel
The ghost of Macon Jones
Some say he died, with a smile on his face
Others say he cried, he never found his place
If you listen to your fears you might hear his restless moan
When they start digging up your dirt
You'll meet the ghost of Macon Jones
If you see your reflection in the water
That's the ghost of Macon Jones

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2020, 02:24:27 PM »
He has improved immensely the last few years, I'll give you that.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »
The latest 'Single' - I'm impressed personally....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
I love the guy, follow him on Instagram, he's awesome. Seems like his love for vintage guitars is the biggest love towards vintage guitars I've ever seen. His voice is not my cup of tea, though, but his collaborations with other artists like Beth Hart are mind-blowingly awesome. I remember hearing "I'll Take Care Of You" for the first time and my jaw was literally on the floor. THAT guitar, THAT voice.

Grab the 'Amsterdam' concert together if you can, it will blow your mind!!!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 04:16:00 PM »

Grab the 'Amsterdam' concert together if you can, it will blow your mind!!!

Beth Hart toured twice in Russia and both times I was there to hear it, though both times I wish Joe would be there to blow the roof off the concert hall with his guitar playing ;D

hunter

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 05:37:58 PM »
The latest 'Single' - I'm impressed personally....

This was really good. Tight and powerful vocal perfomance by Joe. I was also pleased that the guitar was really restrained, only some bars with hot playing, the rest was either the melodic hook or some riffing. The guitar tone is just insanely good. And you've got to give it to the man, there aren't many acts out there today playing this kind of music. For people who love guitar-based rock and blues rock, Joe is the guy these days.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 05:41:06 PM by hunter »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »
Also from the forthcoming 'Royal Tea' album which was recorded at Abbey Road. Cant help feeling this would be an excellent Bond theme...

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2020, 07:31:35 PM »
I am totally with you here Knopflerfan and hunter.
When I was a bit disappointed by the Privateering Tour 2013 I was looking for another Band or artist to follow.
Something different and maybe new.
in 2014 I found Joe Bonamassa. By Incident on eventim
I watched some youtube vids and bought tickets for his Dusseldorf show. Awesome.
Then I watched the 4 DVDs Tour de Force and became a fan. Saw his Brussels concert and was by then addicted.

He is a great guitarist and maybe the hardest working man in music business. Tours immensely. and so on.
My favourite Joe performances are the ones with Rock candy Funk party. A lot of funk, rythm and guitar solos. Very improvising.
you can watch them play the Baked potato in LA when you look at youtube.

His songwriting is done now by other Nashvillian songwriters. He never does it alone. He is not Bob Dylan or MK. Far from it away.
But guitarwise he is one of my faves now. But OK. He will never reach the tone of our MK.
But in the world of modern blues. My No 1.

Joe led me also to other artists. And I thank him for that.
Everybody who likes JB has to check out the following Guitarists. They are very talented...

Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Ryan McGarvey
Eric Gales (joe is producing his new record)
Josh Smith
JD Simo
Kris Barras
Walter Trout
Kirk Fletcher

This little Blues family helps me to enjoy live music while MK writes Musicals and goes on Tour the next time.

I also recommend to attend his Pay Per View concert on September 20th
USD 20 is worth the money
He performs at the Ryman Auditorium Nashville

His Bassplayer is Michael Rhodes. One of the closest friends of Richard Bennett and Golden Heart Bass Player
His Keyboard player Reese Wynans is from SRV Double trouble and he attended MK Gig in LA in 2015
He played with Mike Henderson for his DVD Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks
He was also invited to play in Nashville with the Band from Michael Rhodes and Chad Cromwell

You see. Musical World is not that big
Give JB a listen
Best Band in the World after MKs
But it is very close

Love will find a Way

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
Good post steinei...

Grab some of Joe's 13+ Bluray/DVDs and watch a real talent....love the way he play any genre at the touch of a hat...
Really cannot wait for Sunday evening's live performance now!! -  alas I've paid for the 'VIP' ticket to include my 'picture' to be seated in the auditorium and my name added to the end credits for both the initial perfomace and latterly the dvd/Bluray.....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:18:28 AM by Knopflerfan »

hunter

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »
alas I've paid for the 'VIP' ticket to include my 'picture' to be seated in the auditorium and my name added to the end credits for both the initial perfomace and latterly the dvd/Bluray.....

Now, that's a fan! :D

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »
alas I've paid for the 'VIP' ticket to include my 'picture' to be seated in the auditorium and my name added to the end credits for both the initial perfomace and latterly the dvd/Bluray.....

Now, that's a fan! :D

And I am too! But I think it was the novelty value of the package at what I think is a good price for what you receive. The other 'nice touch' is I will receive an emailed picture of Joe with the 'pictures'!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: The 'Joe Bonamassa' thread
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
Had a fantastic night last night in Nashville albeit as a cardboard cut out!
The gig was amazing and incredibly 'eery' as JB and his stellar band played the Ryman Auditorium in front of 1,600 fan cut outs and of course it was streamed worldwide! Fantastic playing as you would expect from Joe who showcased his forthcoming new album 'Royal Tea' which was recorded at Abbey Road studios...
After each song there was a deafening 'silence' which was very strange...

All in all this was brilliant and I'm grateful to have been able to give financially to this worthwhile project....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 44 queries.