Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Hill Farmer Lyric Question  (Read 3709 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Hill Farmer Lyric Question
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 11:59:59 PM »
We had an outbreak of foot and mouth here in the UK back in the 1960s too so perhaps Mark was reflecting on that.  Didn't he have a job on a farm at one time?  Of course prior to the album was 2001 so... :think

Just checked and the outbreak was in 1967 and that would make Mark 17/18 years old.  It is not unimaginable that he had a summer job before going to university and it's quite possible he was working at a farm, possibly in Tow Law when the outbreak occurred.  The 2001 outbreak then brought back some memories for him hence the song we have today.  Suspend your disbelief for a moment and you have a very credible theory right there!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:42:19 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
As I mentioned above, he talks about foot and mouth in the interview on MK News so the origin has to some extent been known for a long time. Still, the lyrics are open to interpretation.

"Recently it was the time of foot and mouth, and it was on my mind a lot, how hard it was. " - MK
Full talk here: http://www.mark-knopfler-news.co.uk/trdint.html. Guess this is from the press kit.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »
"Jack" appears in literally dozens of phrases in the English language and has all manner of uses. Let me give a few examples: "Every man Jack of them" (= everyone of them); "Jack-in-the-box" (a toy in which a small male figure, on a spring, pops out of the box when the lid is opened); a "Jack" in card games (the servant of the King and Queen); Jack the Ripper (the name attributed to the unknown perpetrator of the Whitechapel murders of 1888); and a jack is a type of flag (smaller than an ensign and one flown from the jackstaff). There are many more..

Jack, as most of you will know, is regarded as the dimunitive of "John" and perhaps derived from the French "Jacques", given that the Normans came to Britain in 1066 and Norman French was the language used by the upper classes in Britain for several centuries. "Jacques", in the past, was apparently used to refer in general to a French peasant.

Jack is used as a generic name for any man and, for a long time, was a familiar term of address between workmen, sailors and the like. So, for example, "Jack Tar" is another word for a sailor (an ordinary seaman who, in the days of sail, got his hands blackened by the tar on the ropes).  There was a nautical phrase, "Pull up the ladder, Jack, I'm aboard", which is clearly related to "I'm alright Jack".  In both cases, it refers to being concerned with one's own self-interest without regard for the interests of others.  Indeed, there is an Australian phrase, the Jack system, that means exactly that - pursuing one's own interests and welfare at the expense of others - and a master of the Jack system was sometimes called the President of the Jack Club.

"Jack of all trades" is interesting in that it can be used in praise of someone who can turn his hand to anything and everything (that is, someone who is versatile and willing to have a go at anything) but is often used disparagingly (someone who can never quite master any one thing).

Jack can also denote someone who is young or small (in the latter case, either actually small or small relative to something or soemone else). In the nursey rhyme "Jack and Jill", Jack is a young lad and, in "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "Jack the Giant Killer", Jack faces a giant. A "Jack the Lad" is a young man who is cocksure and a probably a bit flash. "Jack Sprat" is generally someone who is quite short, though a sprat is also something small, in this case a herring-like fish, so you get the double effect.  In a similar usage, it can refer to someone who is inexperienced. The apprentice sheep farmer in Australia, for example, usually a young man but I think it can be anybody learning that trade, is called a jackaroo

As indicated above, a jack can also be a servant, so a boot-jack is a device for removing one's own boots, a task that, for rich people, would have been done by a servant in the past. As well as someone inferior, jack can  refer to some thing that is small.  Thus, the small target ball used in bowls, the small white ball to which you try to get closest, is called the jack. I don't know if there is an equivalent word in boules, bocce or petanque.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »
As ever TWM very insightful and informative.  There's also the jack used to prop up a car (or other vehicle) when repairing it e.g. changing a wheel.  Seemingly the word is always associated with the monkey and not the organ grinder! 

I have always assumed the phrase in the song to mean simply "Jack sh*t" though.  "Don't feed him jack, don't wait up for me..."  If you notice the lack of capital letters meaning it can't be anyone's name.  Also, for our non native English speakers, the phrase "jack sh*t" means "absolutely nothing" and it's quite commonplace to shorten it to just "jack."  Later in the song it goes "don't do jack and don't wait up for me..."  Again without capitals and it would also fit in with the meaning of it being absolutely nothing.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 38 queries.