Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Band introductions  (Read 2945 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Band introductions
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
I was thinking about band introductions over the years :

1/ 1978-79 : no introductions, with small exceptions :
- Barbarellas 4/7/78 : Marks introduced David "on piano" for Portobello Belle
- Chorus 14/10/78 : Patrice Blanc-Francard introduced in french the whole band
- in late 79 (I guess on boston) : Mark "introduced" Pick on the intro of twisting by the pool

2/ 1980-81 : introduction during the solo on Angel of Mercy
it's the only tour where Mark was introduced( by John Illsley)

3/ 1982-83 : introduction at the end of Portobello belle, each member stooping playing after being introduced
I can't remember, and can't check it now, was the band introduced at the beggining of the tour when PB wasn't linked to TOL, and when there wasn't sax ? (e.g. London or Birmingham) ?

4/ 1985-86 : introduction during the quiet pace in Tunnel of love.
exceptions : when Tunnel of love was shortened (e.g. Sydney) : no introduction. was it the case during the whole 86 tour (australia and new zealand) ?

5/ 1991-92 :introduction during the quiet pace in Tunnel of love.
exception : during the drum break intro of Money for nothing in Dublin
when Tunnel of love was not played, no introduction ? (apart from Phil Palmer in walk of life)?

6/ 1996-2001-05-06 : Done with Bonaparte, introduction before the song

7/ 2008 : Marbletown, introduction before the song

8/ 2010 : Marbletown or Done with Boanaparte (e.g. Lyon), introduction before the song

9/ 2011 : Marbletown, introduction before the song

10/ 2013 : Postcards from Paraguay : introduction during the intro, each member starting playing after being introduced

except for 1996, the band introduction was always made during an "old" song (even if Marbletown was played for the 1st time in 2008) I mean not a song from the last album before the tour.

So even if the next album isn't released yet, we can bet that the band introduction on the next tour will be made during a song we already know...

Which one could it be ?....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Band introductions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »
I personally think he'll stick with Postcards and it worked very well IMO.  I'd love to see it done during the breakdown in TOL like in '85 but we're about as likely to see him enter the stage wearing a kilt and roller-skates! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
I had a small idea what Mark meant with "get a life" when I read this...  ;D ;D ;D

I have some (minor) problems with Mark always introducing his band members as "the best in the world etc." I mean that is just ridiculous and embarrassing. There are so many great musicians out there on this planet that in no way one of these "pants" could be THE best on his instrument... Of course, talking about the band itself, it might be another thing. They are phenomenal together. But Mark says it always with no humour and seems to take it seriously when he says it!

Plus it annoys me (as I found out last weekend) how Ianto seemingly wants to have the final say on almost every song - there is always this last drum roll, cymbal beat etc. at the end of almost every song, it changes through the tour but for me, it is quite annoying to hear the "very" last roll after the great finale of Sultans for example. But that's another story and maybe worth another "get-a-life-thread"!  :wave

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »
In 2010 everybody was "the best/as good as it gets/genius" etc except Danny ("from DS/Mr Horsepower") and Guy ("Fix your bike"). Make of that what you will.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
In 2010 everybody was "the best/as good as it gets/genius" etc except Danny ("from DS/Mr Horsepower") and Guy ("Fix your bike"). Make of that what you will.
I spotted that, I think he said he was a world class percussionist who was becoming a red hot drummer or something like that.

OfflinePyroaction

• Camerado
    • AFMK
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
Plus it annoys me (as I found out last weekend) how Ianto seemingly wants to have the final say on almost every song - there is always this last drum roll, cymbal beat etc. at the end of almost every song, it changes through the tour but for me, it is quite annoying to hear the "very" last roll after the great finale of Sultans for example. But that's another story and maybe worth another "get-a-life-thread"!  :wave

I know some exceptions:
 - The end of Hill Farmer's Blues.
 - At the end of So Far Away, Glenn has the last "word". He un-tunes his bass to end the song.
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
It has to be said that Mark is in a position that he can get almost anyone he wants to play in his band. John McCusker & Mike McGoldrick are acknowledged as top artists in the folk music field and Richard & Glenn have a solid reputation in Nashville, so they can all be considered to be amongst the best in the world ( and possibly, in Mark's opinion, they are). 
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflinexxFordiexx

• Camerado
  • Knopfler is KING!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:27 PM »
The term "the best in the world" really is just high praise from knopfler to be honest. It is all totally subjective as we all know, but there is no denying that Mark's backing band really are of the highest order. If anything, its just a massive compliment and figure of speech on Mark's part.... of course there is no such thing as the greatest.
Fordie

A long time ago came a man on the track......

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 05:46:32 AM »
It's common knowledge, that shy people are seldom comfortable speaking to large groups, and Mark also has some problems with the gift of the gab and especially with the expression of his affections, so he is often forced to use a number of ready-made phrases, that gives him a certain confidence and even in some way protects him from superfluous disturbances onstage.

Let's be lenient towards him, he's the best in the world anyway.  ;)

Throttle, I think you nailed it...  I imagine that it is much easier for Mark to rely on what is comfortable/familiar for him, even if it might be a little overused for others...
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
Throttle...

Woe is me. Turns out I got into a mess.  :-[

Lis, while you entered your comment, I tried to edit my post, but pressed the wrong button and deleted it accidentally.
My apologies for that.
Apparently, I need new glasses...

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:48 AM »
No worries, Throttle... at least your original post is still around, since I "quoted". 

Let me know if you still want to edit it... ;)
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »
It's common knowledge, that shy people are seldom comfortable speaking to large groups, and Mark also has some problems with the gift of the gab and especially with the expression of his affections, so he is often forced to use a number of ready-made phrases, that gives him a certain confidence and even in some way protects him from superfluous disturbances onstage.

Let's be lenient towards him, he's the best in the world anyway.  ;)

Throttle, I think you nailed it...  I imagine that it is much easier for Mark to rely on what is comfortable/familiar for him, even if it might be a little overused for others...

I totally agree with you both. And overused ..... Well, we may have a problem ourselves ;-) Some people (read: a lot of people, most people, almost everyone think I am exaggerating a little with visiting about 30 concerts in a tour, listening everyday to his music including concerts.) So we hear it, a common visitor or even a common fan who is doing 1 or 2 concerts and only listen to the stick of that concert will not notice that he uses the same words over and over again.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
No worries, Throttle... at least your original post is still around, since I "quoted". 
Let me know if you still want to edit it... ;)

There's nothing worse than perfectionism, I know it by my own experience.  ;)
So I think let it remain as it is. Thanks for your helpfulness.

Well, we may have a problem ourselves ;-) Some people (read: a lot of people, most people, almost everyone think I am exaggerating a little with visiting about 30 concerts in a tour, listening everyday to his music including concerts.) So we hear it, a common visitor or even a common fan who is doing 1 or 2 concerts and only listen to the stick of that concert will not notice that he uses the same words over and over again.

Yes, a thousand times yes. That's the whole point.
And frankly speaking... thank goodness that he is not a spherical cow in vacuum, to meet everyone's wishes.  :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 40 queries.