Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Everly Brothers  (Read 3963 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: The Everly Brothers
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
I just found a brief recording on-line of MK joking about bootlegs (NHB, Sheffield City Hall, 30 September 1996) and I reckon my recording of that part of the show is better.  As I recall, my recording was made from the front row of the balcony. I'm not saying that mine is better overall, because I haven't heard the whole of the bootleg, but I was pleased with it.

I have also found a radio show entitled "Mark Knopfler - An Appreciation" (1991). It was one of a series presented by Paul Gambaccini but, from memory, I don't think MK contributed.

Also, one from 1998 entitled "Reading Music" (to do with books about music) to which MK contributes something on Chas McDevitt's book on "Skiffle". Chris Barber contributes, too

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
dude, TWM, we direly need these precioussssssesss..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 08:45:21 PM »
Please be specific, pottel. All of the things I've listed?

Also, the bootleg from NHB Sheffield 30 Sep 96 lists "Wild Theme" and I can't hear that. What is it? My tape has a brief gap in the middle of "Mystery Train". Also, it runs on after "Nadine" and you get the reading of the raffle result, with sighs from some in the audience and then cheers as someone is the lucky winner.

I've also got MK on "The Saturday Sequence" 1989 (live recording of "Feel Like Going Home" - very nice performance- with a spoken introduction by MK, part of Roger Scott tribute), the NHBs on "Country Club" 1990 and MK on the the Johnny Walker show in 1993 (but not my writing on this last cassette).

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
effrything TWM!!!!
:-)
whatever is possible....try and start with Sheffield i would say. and thnx!!

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
I can remember Paul G doing a MK tribute on BBC radio 1, I had it on cassette
for years and it was the first time I heard Cosmic Square Dance. It is probably the
same show as it was about 91 and MK didnt contribute.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 09:48:42 PM »
I can't "do" everything. That would take too long. Also, at the moment, I can't do anything, in that I can't transfer cassette to any form of digital format.

At the moment, I'm listening on headphones to excerpts from the first night of the OES tour (Dublin, 23 August 91). This is an upfront recording, good on volume, clarity and detail. Recorded on two Maxell XLII-S cassettes, it has no audible tape hiss. The audience was pretty loud that night but, as we were upstairs and close to the speakers, it isn't intrusive during the songs. We were to one side of the stage, so the sound is stronger in one ear than the other but, apart from that, I think it would rate pretty well as an audience recording.  How does that compare with what's out and about from this show?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »

Very good sounding and complete recording of this first concert of the On every street world tour 1991-1992. The concert itself is very interesting because of the rarely performed songs like Iron hand, Portobelle belle, I think I love you too much, Setting me up, Wild theme (rare as a 1991 version!), The long highway and of course because it's the very first concert of the tour. This is the first ever live performance of The long highway and has an ending that is very different from the one of the Golden heart tour. Also a very rare part during Money for nothing: the song opens with the solo & drums and while that goes on and on, Mark Knopfler introduces the whole band before starting with the lyrics. Very cool and never done again after this concert! Highly recommended show!

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »
Just in case you want a quick transfer of cassette to digital. You can try a very simple 3.5mm stereo jack to jack, from a cassette Walkman for instance to your computers audio 3.5mm input (not headphone output). I can do this on an old iMac for instance, may need a amp boost (depends on your computer), then you record the "input" onto GarageBand or any simple recording software. It's fairly easy.
Since the destruction of the traditional cassette player, I purchased an old Sony Walkman on eBay and suddenly all those old cassettes can be plugged straight into an mp3 type jack on my Amp.
If that all sounds too complicated, Pottel needs to fly over and help...
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
I don't need to pull out a Walkman, as I have an old "Beat Box" style radio, with twin cassette decks, that I've had for about 30 years close to the PC. I also have a good supply of various leads and connectors, so should be able to connect the two together, if only to see what works. . I have a PC, not a Mac, and assume that you mean the "pink" socket. Also, someone once told me to try Audacity as recording medium but I've never indulged myself.  Is that a route to try?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »
I don't need to pull out a Walkman, as I have an old "Beat Box" style radio, with twin cassette decks, that I've had for about 30 years close to the PC. I also have a good supply of various leads and connectors, so should be able to connect the two together, if only to see what works. . I have a PC, not a Mac, and assume that you mean the "pink" socket. Also, someone once told me to try Audacity as recording medium but I've never indulged myself.  Is that a route to try?

yes but be carefull as sometimes there's only a mic input on PC soundboards (the pink one)
the line input si often "blue" (the green one is the headphones output)
if you plug into the mic input, the signal level from your cassette player will be too loud, and therefore it will be saturated. (you can put the recording level very low, but it will not be the best)

Audacity can do the recording job, as many other freewares

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
If it is supposed to be on the front, I do not have a blue socket, only one pink and one green one.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
I don't need to pull out a Walkman, as I have an old "Beat Box" style radio, with twin cassette decks, that I've had for about 30 years close to the PC.

"Something we got from the Americans.  It's called a ghetto blaster!"

"Q" in the film The Living Daylights just after a ghetto blaster containing a rocket launcher had blown up a mannequin!  The last proper 007 film before they lost their humour and charm.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:50 PM »
If it is supposed to be on the front, I do not have a blue socket, only one pink and one green one.

yes, sometimes it's on the back off the PC, and sometimes there's not

it looks like this :
https://www.google.fr/search?q=line+input+PC&biw=1280&bih=902&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hWEGU5ecFsP60gWsvICYBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

if you don't see any, it is that your soundcard don't have one

you can try on the mic input, and let down the recording level on your recording software, but you will not get the best sound

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
All PC's will have one, basically it's just the input line.  It will probably be next to the socket for the headphones (line out, obviously).  Line-in is usually for a microphone and may be marked as such if it doesn't have a colour.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 38 queries.