Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: question related to the early CD versions of Dire Straits  (Read 8229 times)

Offlinerudiger

• Camerado
Re: question related to the early CD versions of Dire Straits
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 01:20:24 PM »
Vassilis, I've checked only SOS and I can confirm that in the Vertigo remaster this track is longer than in the first issue. I presume the same for Lions.
Vinyls are a world apart and I can't be of help.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
Thanks MK_Live and Rudiger! I will check with my vinyl editions and get back to you!
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 06:09:23 PM »
Hi Vassilis, with "drop out" they mean a sudden drop in volume or a break (but we are talking about 1 second), but honestly I've never noticed it in Telegraph road.
With regard to the different masterings, I don't own an audiophile equipment and I can't notice substantial differences between West Germany and Japan releases. From a brief analysis of the preferences gathered around, there seems to be a larger appreciation for the West Germany versions, but not everyone agrees.
With regard to the different lenght of some songs, mostly it's a matter of seconds divided between music fading and a longer pause between songs. The only consistent (if one can use this term) difference is appreciable in SOS, where the final solo is a few seconds longer in the Warner Bros Japan and. IIRC, in the later "Made in USA" releases

As for the quality of mastering, I have read on audophiles forum that Dire Straits did not escape the very stupid "loudness war" of the 90s, and that the remasters suffer from (not as much as others, but still) compression (not in lossy vs. losseless terms of course, but in terms of dynamics being compressed, "brickwalled", so that the records sounds loud even in the quiet passages). Making Movies remaster is the most heavily criticised.

After years of reading on sound quality, I came to the following conclusions:

1/Plain,old, 16/44 standard redbook CD is more than adequate to store sound with utmost quality. Ultrasound can't be heard by definition, period, and 16 bit depth is more than enough for every level of sound the human ear can deal with. "High-resolution" 24/192 music, be it Neil Young's pono,SACD, DVD-A, or more recently "pure audio Blu Ray" are nothing but COMPLETE BULLSHIT. Differences in sound lies in the mastering, not the format. Even 320kb/s MP3 are just as good as CD when done right.

2/Nonetheless, a CD must be done right to sound great, and that's not often the case. Early CDs in the 80s suffered from bad A/D convertion process and bad D/A playbak systems. People put the blame of the format for music sounding "cold" and invented things like HDCD, with was bullshit as it required a propriatory decoding to sound "better". Unfortunatly some MK CDs, including GH and STP, were recorded with HDCD, and almost no HDCD player can be found now. Modern recording processes, such as the ones used in British Grove Studio, are way better than HDCD and do not require any special decoding.

3/So, the latter the better for CDs ? Not quite, because of the above mentionned "loudness wars". Even MK Cds are impacted...

So, it's complicated. Look for great mastering first, the format is not important !

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
Vassilis, I've checked only SOS and I can confirm that in the Vertigo remaster this track is longer than in the first issue. I presume the same for Lions.
Vinyls are a world apart and I can't be of help.

And the remaster doesn't play at same speed.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »
Thanks Herlock and ds1984. I had a deja vu, with this analysis of sound systems. I am only interested academically, since my audio system is a 20 years old Hi-Fi, so pretty beaten up by time and use. In the beginning and comparing with a previous cheap system I had, it was really a vast improvement, but now I can do it only by comparing with other people hi-fi. The only thing I  have noticed is the compression of the new CDs-that you refer as brickwalled. I hate their sound, even if the music contained is fine. So thank you once again! 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 34 queries.