Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: About EGHAM concert in 1989  (Read 11998 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
About EGHAM concert in 1989
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »
I believe I have one more mystery unraveled!  :D
http://www.mirrorpix.com/webgate/preview.php?UURL=ea9e7a37d20fe264325a5facf3ea0ecf&IMGID=00028582

Amazing to see this photo, it explains a great curiosity, watching the visual on both, it seems that it is about the formation of charity concert by Dire Straits, May 1989. It was a private "invited-guests only show" and the tickets were 125.00 UK Pounds each! It was done to raise money for the Life Education charity, which helps prevent drug abuse among young kids, and of which John Illsley is a committee member. The evening raised 40,000.00 UK Pounds!

There is a bootleg called EGHAM 1989 little was known about the line-up for this show, the question was ... (who was actually the drummer and rhythm guitarist in concert?) Buy this photo, I am left doubts that it is the formation show in Anugraha Centre, Egham, UK-May 1989. Last concert with Terry Williams and Brendan Croker was the rhythm guitarist.

What do you think?
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: About EGHAM concert in 1989
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
but it says, newcastle and october??
Mark Knopfler leads his supergroup Dire Straits infront of just 700 people at the Mayfair Ballroom, Newcastle. The concert was in support of North East Personality of the Year, Joanne Gillespie, 12, who wrote the book 'Brave Heart' about her fight against cancer.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
Seems like another concert.  As Pottel says there are a couple of anomalies with regard to the date (Egham concert was in May), venue and it seems Brendan is here too.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:11:12 AM »
Yes, I know, but it certainly should be the same formation in Egham concert, once both had the same character as> A one-off charity concert!
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:05:17 AM »
Egham concert had someone playing harmonica in one song, I think it was in Nadine...

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
I've seen the Egham concert dated as 30 April rather than May. Doesn't anyone really know.

The venue was a conference centre that later closed, I think, but it may be a hotel again now (under a different name).

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
I've seen the Egham concert dated as 30 April rather than May. Doesn't anyone really know.

The venue was a conference centre that later closed, I think, but it may be a hotel again now (under a different name).

That's interesting because I've never had a day for the concert and only the month.  I think I came upon some information about this on Facebook recently so I'll have a look and see if I can find it again.  OEB site also has May but no day but that may be where I got the information years ago.

Edit:  can't find it anywhere!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:59:33 PM by dmg »

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:21:13 PM »
http://www.songkick.com/concerts/1476901-dire-straits-at-anugraha-centre

Correct or incorrect? I have no idea.

Maybe someone should check out the back issues of the local newspaper. The SURREY HERALD covers Egham and has been going for years. Maybe one of the libraries in Surrey carries back issues.

OfflineMK_live

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Camerado
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »
Or check old DSIS newsletters. I am 99% sure I read something about the Egham concert in there. But since my collection is in a storage (waiting for a new home), I have no access to it. Maybe someone else can check?

Jeroen

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
I don't remember where I got my egham bootleg from, but the files are named "Dire Straits - Egham 9.10.89 01 Sultans of Swing.mp3"

it must have been confused with the other gig mentioned in the article... but strange it's not the 9th but the 10th ...? :hmm

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 08:07:55 PM »
I think since twm's information actually has a day as well as month and year, I'm more incline to go along with that as the correct date.  Still strange that another random date has appeared though.  :think

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
Great pic, MK looking more like Keith Harris than ever.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
I believe I have one more mystery unraveled!  :D
http://www.mirrorpix.com/webgate/preview.php?UURL=ea9e7a37d20fe264325a5facf3ea0ecf&IMGID=00028582

Amazing to see this photo, it explains a great curiosity, watching the visual on both, it seems that it is about the formation of charity concert by Dire Straits, May 1989. It was a private "invited-guests only show" and the tickets were 125.00 UK Pounds each! It was done to raise money for the Life Education charity, which helps prevent drug abuse among young kids, and of which John Illsley is a committee member. The evening raised 40,000.00 UK Pounds!

There is a bootleg called EGHAM 1989 little was known about the line-up for this show, the question was ... (who was actually the drummer and rhythm guitarist in concert?) Buy this photo, I am left doubts that it is the formation show in Anugraha Centre, Egham, UK-May 1989. Last concert with Terry Williams and Brendan Croker was the rhythm guitarist.

What do you think?

Actually that bootleg was circulating years and years and years under the name "Newcastle 89", and it was Jeroen who changed it to "Egham 89" as he said, many years ago too, that the read in a DSIS letter that the concert was in Egham. He also says in the comments about this recording in his site that MK sings "Here I am again in this Egham town" when singing So Far Away, but I never recognized it so clearly...

So now that we know that there was a concert in Newcastle again, maybe it is not and never was Egham, but Newcastle that  recording...

Anybody has the recording to listen that So Far Away?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
I never knew that Brendan played with DS. Every day's a school day.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMK_live

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Camerado
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 10:46:54 PM »
 "He also says in the comments about this recording in his site that MK sings "Here I am again in this Egham town"

I just checked my site, but that is not what I mentioned there (and I did not edit anything the past years on that recording), don't know why you think so? Sure you got that line from my site? I don't have the recording at hand now, but maybe MK reveals the town indeed during So far Away. I really wonder which city he mentions, can anyone check please?

To me, it is still a bit of a mystery. I wonder if one can ever tell which show is from Newcastle and which show is from Egham. As far as I know, the recording I have is from Egham. But if my memory serves me right, DSIS only mentioned the Egham concert, maybe that is why I thought it had to be Egham while it was originally labelled as Newcastle? But it is simply too long ago to be sure under which name I received that cassette tape back then.

Jeroen

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.