Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK's First Band?  (Read 382 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
MK's First Band?
« on: April 22, 2024, 01:50:19 PM »
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Mick%27s+music+has+plenty+of+soul.-a0307148661

According to this it could be "Blues and Beyond" in 1962!

BLUES singer Mick Whitaker is a singer who has never been prepared to take the easy option. He has a massive following, both locally and nationally, and can be counted as one of the most popular entertainers of the local blues scene. Billy Corcoran has followed his career through the many bands he has appeared with and here give an insight into the career of a local legend.

Along with guitarists Jeff Sadler and the great Mark Knopfler, Mick formed his first band in 1963.

"We were called Blues and Beyond," said Mick, who has never stood still and went on to graduate through many local bands, which was not uncommon at the time. One of these bands was Consolidated Sounds (which also featured Barry Leng on guitar, who went on to become Stephanie De Sykes MD), The Habit, Lemonade Pie, Sliced Fingers, before he formed Halfbreed along with Tom Farrier.

"We were signed to United Artists," said Mick, "cut an album, toured with Leo Sayer and then split up when the manager absconded with the band's money."

A big setback, but the irrepressible Mick got over it by immersing himself into studio work, recording over 1300 sessions.

"Most of these sessions were for myself, but they were with various companies and sometimes other artists, including top of the range artists such as Tom Jones, Alan Hull and Tina Turner."

The list of recording partners is endless and include: Simon Phillips (ToTo), Luis Jardin, Pete Winfield, Graham Jarvis and Clem Cattini, to name just a few.

Mick has released around 10 albums over the years, including recording for the Tall Ships music.

"Alas," says Mick, "I have never received payment for many of them, but then again, what's new.

"I recently cut an album with Charlie Harcourt and Mike Waller and play local residencies with them."

But Mick's work has also progressed to major films.

"I wrote the opening music for the movie The Michael Jordan Story (this time I was paid, fortunately)."

But Mick admits there are problems on the horizon which may affect his great love of appearing live on stage. "I will have to have a heart operation shortly, but I still feel there is a lot of touring left in me."

Mick, who once featured Andy Taylor, of Duran Duran fame, in one of this earlier bands is now in the process of forming an eight-piece band with Brendan Healy - "we'll get going once we have both had our operations", quips Mick.

The names which have featured in Mick's groups lineups just keep rolling off the tongue, to the earlier list you can add top guitarist Paul Rose, John Dickinson, Steve Thompson (once Elkie Brooks producer), Adrian Tillbrook (drummer for Elton John) and John Hedley.

"I suppose I am the John Mayall of the North East," commented Mick. Tim Healy opened up for me every Monday in the old days at the Burgundy Cobbler, in Whitley Bay; I also recorded with Kenny Craddock, before he was tragically killed in a car crash."

Singers and bands come and go but, it seems, Mick has

CAPTION(S):

STRIKE UP THE BAND: Above, Mick and the lads on stage. Below, Mick in the years with Halfbreed

AT HOME: Mick relaxing and still one of the most popular singers around
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: MK's First Band?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 02:18:55 PM »
Interesting, but very likely? I mean, I've never heard MK or anyone else mention this at any point, ever  :think

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 02:25:19 PM »
Mark would have been 14 years old at the time, with no guitar (and no amplifier, of course!) ^^
Maybe he joined them a bit later? Or it was just pals from school jamming around, and the band got more serious a lot later.
Geoff (Jeff?) Sadler rings a bell, though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 02:35:20 PM by stratmad »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 02:44:08 PM »
How old does MK say he was when he got the Hofner?

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 02:49:09 PM »
15, I think.
Maybe he was borrowing a guitar at the time (when he was playing in the band), but that doesn't fit in with what he said about learning the e minor chord and having no clue that you actually need an amplifier.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 02:54:47 PM »
Who knows. It's also possible that the 1963 date is mis-remembered.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 02:58:29 PM »
Could well be. At any rate, I can't remember Mick's name being mentioned in connection with MK, while Geoff and MK were apparently still in touch during NHB times. Didn't they play a gig for someone's wedding or something?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 05:24:59 PM by stratmad »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 05:04:40 PM »
15, I think.
Maybe he was borrowing a guitar at the time (when he was playing in the band), but that doesn't fit in with what he said about learning the e minor chord and having no clue that you actually need an amplifier.

Mark recieved the Hofner for his 15th Birthday....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 05:07:05 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.027 seconds with 39 queries.