Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Terry Williams Interview 2013  (Read 22556 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Terry Williams Interview 2013
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 12:33:29 PM »
There is one band member who is the best in the world.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
?

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »
?

LE

Someone who will cook your dinner and do the washing up, fix your bicycle or your watch and paint your house.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
?

LE

Someone who will cook your dinner and do the washing up, fix your bicycle or your watch and paint your house.

I was actually thinking of the main man but that is funny!  :lol

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
jbaent, with this joke i think you've nailed it. The doc is imo a bit underrated. He puts a lot of effort in the whole project, don't know a musician who does the same for his band. I mean the whole package (Tour diary / Fan contact / Producing / Song arranging together with Mark / Saving all the tracks / Demo and notes for the musicians / playing keyboard / photograph / filming / tour cookbook and the list goes on...)

So, "the best" is a very weak category and i think Mark has the right to say it, because for his situation they are probably the best... There is no objective way to label somebody as "the best". And i think it is also a good sign of appreciation. I think it's good to hear that the band leader / the boss likes what you do. So i don't feel uncomfortable with it, although i understand what you're saying, LE   

foma

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
Mark is not even the best songwriter by means of popularity in comparison with Sir Elton, Sir Paul and another Sirs, by complicity of songs or by means of moving the world like Dylan or Simon or Elton do, he's not the best guitar player in comparison with 999999 guitarists from lists by magazines of the same amount, not the best singer in comparison with Shirley Bassey and tons of other UK and worldwide genius singers, BUT for us he's the number one! And vice versa. Mark's musicians are the best for him just like he's the best for us, that's all.

And Guy seems like 'best of the best', simply because they work together more than even Illsley was in the band. So it means something.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
OES is among my n
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

LoveExpresso

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
Mark is not even the best songwriter by means of popularity in comparison with Sir Elton, Sir Paul and another Sirs, by complicity of songs or by means of moving the world like Dylan or Simon or Elton do, he's not the best guitar player in comparison with 999999 guitarists from lists by magazines of the same amount, not the best singer in comparison with Shirley Bassey and tons of other UK and worldwide genius singers, BUT for us he's the number one! And vice versa. Mark's musicians are the best for him just like he's the best for us, that's all.

And Guy seems like 'best of the best', simply because they work together more than even Illsley was in the band. So it means something.

Perfectly said.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
Having seen John and Mike many times outside of MK's band, I do understand why he would rate them so highly.  John and Mike, together with the wonderful John Doyle are truly mesmerising!     :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
When listening to a '96 bootleg today, how often do you find yourself listening to Last Exit to Brooklyn?

actually I listen to it entirely each time, like a love idea or father and son

I find they were perfect intros for the songs, and LastExiToBrooklyn fits more with Romeo and Juliet than father and son with HFB for example.
even father and son fit more with golden heart than HFB imho. on 2013 recording I don't hear the "link" between F&S and HFB, it doesn't sound right to me

I would love seing mark playing more film stuff, and not only songs, but also intsrumentals. they are lots that could fit in live gigs imho :
freeway flyer
working on it
an american hero
metroland theme
irish boy
irish love
etc...

and almost all could be embed in oather songs

LoveExpresso

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2014, 11:04:58 PM »
JF, you are absolutely right about the link between Father & Son and Hill Farmer. From the first show 2013, when Richard started to "chop" into John's and Mike's playing, I thought, well, he will sort that out in a couple of shows.. but it stayed the same until the end of the tour. It is pretty lame and not very clever and artistic made... but the surprise moment maybe is what Mark had in mind.. I also think it is just about having a song that features Mike (and John). I guess it is really that easy. Some songs have to be in the set to give every band member a place to show his quality.

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »
The first time I heard F&S live again in 2013 I though "wow GH is back"... no it wasn't but I was glad that HFB remained in the setlist (although this song order was not that great)
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

LoveExpresso

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2014, 11:31:18 PM »
Because of my Newcastle decision for 2015  ;D I listened to the 2010 Newcastle show lately and that one was followed then by Glasgow 2010 and Wurzburg 2010.. .I must really say that I generally prefer the 2010 shows musically and set wise -- and that has also to do with the drumming. HFB and Sultans (and Coyote!) were so great and dramatic, whereas HFB 2013 never really got it in my opinion.. there might be one or two or three really great versions but 2010 almost all versions were great.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »
Because of my Newcastle decision for 2015  ;D I listened to the 2010 Newcastle show lately and that one was followed then by Glasgow 2010 and Wurzburg 2010.. .I must really say that I generally prefer the 2010 shows musically and set wise -- and that has also to do with the drumming. HFB and Sultans (and Coyote!) were so great and dramatic, whereas HFB 2013 never really got it in my opinion.. there might be one or two or three really great versions but 2010 almost all versions were great.

LE

I do recall that the Glasgow show had particularly good versions of HFB and Coyote.  Perhaps the best of the tour.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 49 queries.