Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ebay Thread  (Read 202028 times)

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
Re: Ebay Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »
I want the motorbike !!!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »
Some cool Knopfler items on UK ebay at the moment, the best of which has to be this:

Signed drumhead from the GL tour

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/signed-drumhead-donated-iconic-Mark-Knopfler-/220694656101?pt=UK_Music_Music_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item33626d3465

Also a few nice magazines and promo discs. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
Some cool Knopfler items on UK ebay at the moment, the best of which has to be this:

Signed drumhead from the GL tour

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/signed-drumhead-donated-iconic-Mark-Knopfler-/220694656101?pt=UK_Music_Music_Memorabilia_LE&hash=item33626d3465

Also a few nice magazines and promo discs. :)

It's for prince trust 2010? Mark is not participating at the concert, but he offered these things...
Hey could better play the concert, lol :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:54:25 AM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »
Well it is very nice seeing all these items:real objects of desire, but shouldn't there be a semi-official guide with the official releases (the other collectibles items - posters, badges, stickers-you know-are surely harder to track and record)around the globe, plus quantities in circulation, so that we know exactly if something worths the price asked?(asking for the unofficial is not out of the question but much harder i suppose)
Putting a price on something and letting desire raising this price has a separate logic that some sellers take advantage of. And yes, the final resistance to all these is NOT BUY from these sellers. But it has to be done collectively. It is too bad that outsiders- meaning no real fans of MK/DS take advantage of our desires. But discussing the sociology and psychology of the collector may be a topic for a new thread.
You probably know this site, but just in case:
http://www.btinternet.com/~john_bennett/index.htm
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
Yes, very nice, but they wouldn't mean a thing to me, unless MK signed them personally, in front of me - sorry!   It's the actual signing that matters.   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
I agree with you Superval, a signature is only worth something in my eyes if the one signing knew it was for me, even if they didn't know me, even if they will have forgotten within a minute, at the time they were signing it, they were thinking of me  ;D

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »
I know you are both right. I just posted it to show you the price that they fetch,  remembering an old Simpsons episode, where a young girl asks someone famous (McCartney maybe?) to dedicate -sign her copy "to ebay". (you can see the joke...)

Just wondering how he got all these CDs signed and since he got in to all this trouble, how come he sells them . (OK he might be in need of some cash, but still...)

On the other hand, it is weird but i wish i had the chance to meet the man to get an autograph but fat chance, since i live in Greece. And officially, on tour, he's been here only twice, 1985 and 2008. Would you rather have nothing or something even with the conditions you describe?

A friend of mine, 10 years ago brought me as a Christmas present, an ATP program signed by all members of Television. I have only seen Tom Verlain live, as a member of Patti Smith band, but i think he is great. So even though i was not there i treasure it very much.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 09:18:12 PM »
Hi VGONIS2002,   When I was about 13 years old, I absolutely adored a certain comic actor and eventually he did a tour to various theatres around Britain and one of the venues was in my hometown.   I would have done almost anything to have been there, but, unfortunately, the date clashed with the family summer holiday and I couldn't go, but my best friend went and took my autograph book with her to get his autograph.  She waited at the stage-door and was lucky enough to meet him.   He signed her autograph book, but refused to sign mine, saying "Tell your friend she has to come herself".  Even when my friend told him that I was on holiday, he still refused.  I was heartbroken and couldn't bear to even think of him, let alone watch him anymore, but now, more than 50 years later, I completely understand what he meant.   An autograph is nothing, if it is not written for you, in person, because the memory will stay with you forever!    I am still waiting for my MK autograph!    :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:22:36 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 05:37:21 PM »
Nice story Val!

Rollergirl

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
Would you rather have nothing or something even with the conditions you describe?

I'd choose nothing, because if it's not signed for me, it is just a piece of paper (and I have loads of paper at home already). Then again, I am not a collector of such things. They are nice to have if you have them but it's the music that turns me on.

Offlineknopflerized

• Romeo
  • I might Get Lucky ...
    • Mark In Summer Long Ago
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
I never buy signed things on Ebay for two reasons:

1: I prefer as you ladies to have the item signed in front of me and just for me...(by the man)
2: they are SO many fakes...

btw i bought the Lithos.... but i know they 're signed by MK and they're Official Merchandising

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »
hey superval, who was the actor?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
Glad to have raised such a conversation, great story! Still an opinion is not wrong just because someone else has a different one. After all, asking from a friend to get you an autograph at your book, is totally understandable! As for desire, we excuse it at children but not for grown ups. It is unfair, somehow...and in order to keep face, we invented the term collector, that can't really describe the psychology of the person who desires a thing others consider unworthy.
 But to return to my initial post, i do believe that there is something wrong in selling your autographed copies (fake comes in mind, as you said), but the price is what bothers me most. These signatures actually worth that kind of money for somebody (ended 300$).

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
So many fakes, I just wouldn't buy an autograph. Although I bought a signed copy of Michael Caine's new book the other week from a reputable bookseller, no idea if he actually signed it or not.

I have MK's autograph 4 or 5 times over I think, but I watched him sign it each time. :)

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 42 queries.