Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: NHB shows, death of Demis Roussos!!  (Read 10272 times)

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: NHB shows, death of Demis Roussos!!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 11:57:37 AM »
wow! it's amazing the attention that you put in listening to these videos  :clap

Yes I like these shows Rudiger!!!! I am very fond of the music they're playing!!!!!!!!!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
was there 19th and 20th awesome nights...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
was there 19th and 20th awesome nights...

I can imagine that it was awesome Pottel, it always is when MK is on stage with the talented musicians that he usually chooses!!! :thumbsup
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
As I've said before, it was the NHBs who brought me here (plus mrs twm, of course).

We attended the 24 July 1999 NHB show at Ronnie Scott's, too. Down in London for just over a week, we got to four shows in all.  Earlier on the evening of 24th July, we went to see "Plenty" at the Albery Theatre, with Cate Blanchett in the lead. We met Helen Mirren one night at Scott's. Rowan Atkinson was there another night (we'd seen him live in Stoke on a solo tour years before).

It was a great week. I got to a Bridget Riley exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery (she being one of my interests from way back in the mid-1960s). We did a bit of shopping in those higher-end second-hand clothes shops in Mayfair and Marylebone (I still have a dark blue Valentino silk shirt from then). We went to the horse-racing at Sandown Park.  Another day, off to Greenwich and down to the Trafalgar Tavern for an (almost traditional) whitebait lunch, in the footsteps of Dickens and politicians of yore.  I met friend with a contact at Christies and I got to handle an original Dylan lyric sheet from a BLONDE ON BLONDE song that was in their current auction then. Plus all the usual family things.

But, the memory that lingers is spilling out of Ronnie Scott's in the early hours of the morning to find our way back to where we were staying. It took me back to my youth, going to all-nighters in Soho clubs. The difference was that, in 1999, the streets were still full of people and much was still going on. In the 1960s, if you went out for fresh air at that time in the morning, the streets were largely deserted and much less well-lit. And this was on midweek nights, too. Back then, the all-nighters were at weekends - in my case, just Saturday nights and Sunday mornings.

And all that mixed in with seeing and hearing the NHBs in a small intimate venue, sometimes very close indeed to the stage. And I mean very close. Good times!

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 03:59:49 PM »
As I've said before, it was the NHBs who brought me here (plus mrs twm, of course).

We attended the 24 July 1999 NHB show at Ronnie Scott's, too. Down in London for just over a week, we got to four shows in all.  Earlier on the evening of 24th July, we went to see "Plenty" at the Albery Theatre, with Cate Blanchett in the lead. We met Helen Mirren one night at Scott's. Rowan Atkinson was there another night (we'd seen him live in Stoke on a solo tour years before).

It was a great week. I got to a Bridget Riley exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery (she being one of my interests from way back in the mid-1960s). We did a bit of shopping in those higher-end second-hand clothes shops in Mayfair and Marylebone (I still have a dark blue Valentino silk shirt from then). We went to the horse-racing at Sandown Park.  Another day, off to Greenwich and down to the Trafalgar Tavern for an (almost traditional) whitebait lunch, in the footsteps of Dickens and politicians of yore.  I met friend with a contact at Christies and I got to handle an original Dylan lyric sheet from a BLONDE ON BLONDE song that was in their current auction then. Plus all the usual family things.

But, the memory that lingers is spilling out of Ronnie Scott's in the early hours of the morning to find our way back to where we were staying. It took me back to my youth, going to all-nighters in Soho clubs. The difference was that, in 1999, the streets were still full of people and much was still going on. In the 1960s, if you went out for fresh air at that time in the morning, the streets were largely deserted and much less well-lit. And this was on midweek nights, too. Back then, the all-nighters were at weekends - in my case, just Saturday nights and Sunday mornings.

And all that mixed in with seeing and hearing the NHBs in a small intimate venue, sometimes very close indeed to the stage. And I mean very close. Good times!
[/quote

Thanks Twm for sharing these fantastic memories of the NHB's, I really would have enjoyed to attend but I guess he'll never do them again!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 37 queries.