Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (4) Skydiver (4:38)  (Read 32163 times)

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
Re: (4) Skydiver (4:38)
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
Thanks for the links guys, Mark definitely wrote this song with Freud in his mind. But I've read an interview with Mark where he said that he is trying to get into the head of other people that aren't ordinary and not living the ordinary life. It's not only about musicians or other artists but also about gamblers who don't abide to the rules. (According to the interview.) About the dive bomber he said: Someone that throws bombs down and doesn't know about the damage he has done is also living outside the normal live.

So pretty interesting lyrics in my opinion..

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2015, 05:46:26 PM »
Thanks Wespresso that was the quote i was refering to.

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 05:56:50 PM »
Thanks Wespresso, that makes sense too.  Of course the phrase "dropping bombs" can have a double meaning too.  Someone who says something that will cause a disturbance can be said to have "dropped a bomb in the conversation".  We know how much MK likes to incorporate multiple meanings into his songs!

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the links guys, Mark definitely wrote this song with Freud in his mind. But I've read an interview with Mark where he said that he is trying to get into the head of other people that aren't ordinary and not living the ordinary life. It's not only about musicians or other artists but also about gamblers who don't abide to the rules. (According to the interview.) About the dive bomber he said: Someone that throws bombs down and doesn't know about the damage he has done is also living outside the normal live.

May I ask where that dive bomber quote was from? If the song is referring to that, to, it surely would add to it's complexity. (Not that there's any need for more complexity, though, haha).

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »

May I ask where that dive bomber quote was from? If the song is referring to that, to, it surely would add to it's complexity. (Not that there's any need for more complexity, though, haha).
Sure! It's from the Dutch Soundz magazine

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
Thanks! And what's "the unsure thing", by the way? I'm no native speaker, so I was wondering if that's a set phrase.

Also, I don't understand "down in the 2.15" but that's probably just because I don't bet on horses. :-)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Thanks! And what's "the unsure thing", by the way? I'm no native speaker, so I was wondering if that's a set phrase.

Also, I don't understand "down in the 2.15" but that's probably just because I don't bet on horses. :-)

"The unsure thing" relates to the gambling, because nothing is certain in gambling - that's why it's a gamble!   ;D

"Today I lost a packet at Wincanton, Dive Bomber in the 2.15"     This is again related to gambling at the races.   He put a lot of money on Dive Bomber, which ran in the race at 2.15.   "All on the nose"  means he put all the money he had on betting the horse to win - not both ways - all or nothing!  :)

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »

"The unsure thing" relates to the gambling, because nothing is certain in gambling - that's why it's a gamble!   ;D

"Today I lost a packet at Wincanton, Dive Bomber in the 2.15"     This is again related to gambling at the races.   He put a lot of money on Dive Bomber, which ran in the race at 2.15.   "All on the nose"  means he put all the money he had on betting the horse to win - not both ways - all or nothing!  :)

Thanks so much, Superval! So 2.15 would be the time the horse ran? (Sorry, I'm REALLY ignorant when it comes to horse racing). I just read that Dutch interview, and there he mentions that military dive bombers have to drop their bombs at 2.15 km. He really seems to pack a lot here ...  :hmm

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »
"All on the nose and no-one counting.      He had put all of his money betting on the horse coming in 1st place.     
 Nothing wishy-washy in between"            Only first place would do - hence nothing wishy-washy in between - not 2nd or 3rd

I really don't see it as being about military dive bombers, especially as the horse is actually called Dive Bomber.   ;)   But knowing MK....  :think

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:33:29 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2015, 06:38:54 PM »
Yes, this interview in soundz magazine was so confusing for me, and is still now, as if we don't see a certain layer. Here is the whole quote:

The album also goes about freedom of the individual. The song 'Skydiver' is a good example of that.

'As an artist, on a certain moment, you make the choice to live outside the society, not conforming to that what all other people do. I try to get into the heads of other characters. I love individuals who go completely there own way. And I'm really not only talking about musicians or artists. Someone who drops his bombs down and doesn't know what kind of damage occurs beneath him, lives also outside the normal life. 'Dive Bomber In The 2.15' I sing. A fighterplane has to drop his bombs at 2.15 km to be accurate. But the song also is about gamblers, who don't follow the rules'.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:41:10 PM by yontwocrows »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »
Yes, this interview in soundz magazine was so confusing for me, and is still now, as if we don't see a certain layer. Here is the whole quote:

The album also goes about freedom of the individual. The song 'Skydiver' is a good example of that.

'As an artist, on a certain moment, you make the choice to live outside the society, not conforming to that what all other people do. I try to get into the heads of other characters. I love individuals who go completely there own way. And I'm really not only talking about musicians or artists. Someone who drops his bombs down and doesn't know what kind of damage occurs beneath him, lives also outside the normal life. 'Dive Bomber In The 2.15' I sing. A fighterplane has to drop his bombs at 2.15 km to be accurate. But the song also is about gamblers, who don't follow the rules'.

Does "2.15" work in a racing context? What's the number referring to exactly?

(And remember, we already struggled with 5.15, and now this ...  ;))

Offlinewespresso

• Camerado
  • Stick at it..
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »

Yeah that thing about the dive bomber is pretty interesting. Perhaps he is just not telling the thing about Freud and comes up with a different approach to it  :P

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2015, 06:48:50 PM »
So the military dive bomber was used as another example!   I agree it is confusing, but that's MK for you!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »

Yes, of course 2.15 works in a racing context - the horse, Dive Bomber, ran at 2.15pm.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »

Yes, of course 2.15 works in a racing context - the horse, Dive Bomber, ran at 2.15pm.

I see. Was confused because the lyrics are "in the 2.15", not "at".

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 36 queries.