Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (13) My Heart Has Never Changed (3:48)  (Read 31988 times)

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
Re: (13) My Heart Has Never Changed (3:48)
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 10:15:15 PM »
I can easily imagine Leonard Cohen singing this song. Nice little tune this one.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
It's among my favourites, too. Very touching lyrics
Love over gold, mind over matter

LoveExpresso

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
I repeat myself but this is SUCH a great song - gives me so much more than Terminal Of Tribute To.. So pure Mark Knopfler sound.. the atmosphere, Ruth is excellent doing her background job (as she does on Basil, too). Wow! Just Wow!

If this was a recent MK album, this track would have probably been my favourite, but among those other 17 songs, this ones has trouble not to be covered by sheer greatness of the other songs.

LE

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 01:18:25 PM »
Out of the 18 songs this is certainly one of my favourites - wonderful song.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
Another fantastic song  :clap  :clap  :clap  :clap

Totally agree with you Maroretto!! A really lovely song!!! :clap :thumbsup
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 11:24:30 AM »
This song was a grower.

I like the very familiar (almost cliché) singer/songwriter approach to it.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
All 3 (this, Heart of Oak & Time...Sorrow) of the acoustic bonus songs are achingly beautiful.
I can only dream of a future boxset containing acoustic demos of so many released and unreleased songs, just MK and his guitar.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

LoveExpresso

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
Yes indeed, River Of Grog was a first hint in that direction (ok, Marbletown album version was, but that was ages ago..)

LE

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 12:22:12 AM »
All 3 (this, Heart of Oak & Time...Sorrow) of the acoustic bonus songs are achingly beautiful.
I can only dream of a future boxset containing acoustic demos of so many released and unreleased songs, just MK and his guitar.

Oh, boy, we dream about a lot of things.... I dream about a superbox with all the DS inputs, plus b-sides and rarities, and about the same from the solo career!!!
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »

Yes dreaming about this too, it's not a boxset by the way, it has to be a megaboxset ;-)
Oh, boy, we dream about a lot of things.... I dream about a superbox with all the DS inputs, plus b-sides and rarities, and about the same from the solo career!!!

Offlinezigner

• Guitar George
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 10:22:05 PM »
Anyone know what this line is talking about?

"And the rooms along Exchange"

Note the upper case on Exchange.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 12:38:26 PM »
This is a beautiful song and it is very reminiscent to me of Dylan's "Highlands" especially in the lyrics - the waitress for example.  :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

LoveExpresso

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
This is a beautiful song and it is very reminiscent to me of Dylan's "Highlands" especially in the lyrics - the waitress for example.  :)

Yes, exactly!  :thumbsup :)

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
Today, I nearly fell off my chair when I tried to further investigate this little "ditty". As with most of his songs, it works on many different levels. If you dig a little deeper, it will appear even more meaningful and you may find information that contributed as an inspiration to write the song. Ragpicking.

This is kind of unstructured, as I'm not sure yet....

What initially struck me to look further into this song was the phrase "Hell's Half Acre": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27s_Half_Acre_%28disambiguation%29
Ah, there it goes, so many different possibilities.

Here used to be a restaurant called Hell's Half Acre:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27s_Half_Acre_%28Wyoming%29
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/8451

In Ford Worth there had been a red light district called HHA, formerly a saloon district, aimed at catering to cowboys on Chisholm Trail: http://www.fwtx.com/articles/highway-hell

There even is an "Exchange Avenue", hence the capital letter in "the rooms along Exchange": http://fortworthgazette.blogspot.de/2011/07/where-heck-was-hells-half-acre-probably.html
(I was always sure that this wasn't a hint at his IT guys at BGS (Microsoft Exchange Server) - hahaha  :P)
Today there only exists a church from ye olden days: http://www.redriverhistorian.com/badtarrantcounty.html

Okay, I didn't stop the ragpicking, what shall I do with the next information: the book "An Epic Life - Fort Worth" by JN Patoski about Willie Nelson, Fort Worth is described as the "Cradle Of Western Swing".
https://books.google.com/books?id=1To7AQAAQBAJ&pg=PT49&lpg=PT49&dq=highway+199+hell's+half+acre&source=bl&ots=LzfW2Ive9e&sig=wGB_EsCyGTtJAin7rxafto5gzB0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=9XMiVcGwG4aVsAGuhISQDQ&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAw

And what the heck does Highway 199 represent, it's a Californian Highway? Although in that book about Willie Nelson, it is described as "Jaxbeer Highway" - there would have been something for everyone: drinking, gambling etc.

To me, this is a mix-up of cowboy-romantic motives, Telegraph-Road-esque boom and decline metaphors, travelling musician's tales and the lives of ordinary people. But there is no singular clue, TOE (theory of everything), to interpret this song.

And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
...and then in 1950 a car of some big cheese had been blown up, please read the last paragraph: http://www.fwtx.com/articles/highway-hell

That initiated the decline of Jacksboro Highway, the authorities had to act.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.