Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146855 times)

foma

Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2015, 11:39:57 PM »

As far as I know there are no rights attached to playing songs from other artists. There are rights attached to the writing, the publishing, and the playback of disks. Now if whoever wants to play Sultans in front of whatever crowd,  I think nobody can stop them...

I don't think you are correct about the rights for performing a song.  Live performances do result in royalty fees.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties7.htm

Of course it does. Paul McCartney actually pays for playing The Beatles tunes on his concerts, famous story.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
It's easy for Guy to be smug about this kind of thing when he has a steady gig flying with MK in a private jet and recording in the best studio in the world.

But how does Alan Clark make a living?  He doesn't get songwriter's royalties from DS, maybe minimal producer's royalties from sales of OES?

So what does he do, drive a van? Nothing wrong with that, but a long way from Wembley.

So I don't grudge him making some cash out of this, I'm just pissed off that he's been such a dick about it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2015, 07:58:47 AM »
Actually that's a good point Dusty, Guy is in a good position isn't he - being with MK... I'm sure it is all politics at the end of the day....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »
It's easy for Guy to be smug about this kind of thing when he has a steady gig flying with MK in a private jet and recording in the best studio in the world.

But how does Alan Clark make a living?  He doesn't get songwriter's royalties from DS, maybe minimal producer's royalties from sales of OES?

So what does he do, drive a van? Nothing wrong with that, but a long way from Wembley.

So I don't grudge him making some cash out of this, I'm just pissed off that he's been such a dick about it.

So well said.
Cheers Peter

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2015, 09:17:40 AM »

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

just an reminder: Mark has always tell thanks at his musicians like Jim or Richard and I never heard any people in his band 'i must to have some credits on a song' like alan in TR.........no doubt wrong words tell about Mark, that is a Real Gentilmen in our times, I think Sting in a simply example in Money...so I like so much this song.....I like the solos.....Mark is Mark  :clap :clap :clap
Bye

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2015, 09:25:51 AM »

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

just an reminder: Mark has always tell thanks at his musicians like Jim or Richard and I never heard any people in his band 'i must to have some credits on a song' like alan in TR.........no doubt wrong words tell about Mark, that is a Real Gentilmen in our times, I think Sting in a simply example in Money...so I like so much this song.....I like the solos.....Mark is Mark  :clap :clap :clap
Bye

Yeah, Richard got to play a frigging cowbell on MFN during the whole tour back in 2005. Although it would be an understatement to say that it was a waste of talent - you never heard him or saw him complain about it in the press  ;D

"RB: So for MFN, should I go for the Les Paul or the Tele?"

"MK: No, this..."

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:28:25 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2015, 10:17:40 AM »
So Richard, for MFN - Strat, Les Paul or Tele...
Actually don't bother playing this track at all please..... :disbelief

Back to thread, so it is actually a 'Sig' strat that is used in this track and not a Les Paul as so many thought!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »

Back to thread, so it is actually a 'Sig' strat that is used in this track and not a Les Paul as so many thought!!

Indeed, I was wondering which effects he uses to make the strat sound like Hendrix: I assume it is the hot cake he used on last tour  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:20:09 AM by junkiedoll »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:02 AM »
If those tribute acts have a decent sense of humour (which I seriously doubt they have) they must have already learned the 'Terminal of Tribute' song to play it first on their concerts. Or, maaaaaaaaybe, the whole setlist with just one song, like Mark did with Rudiger. Remember that? ;D

Brilliant idea. And I foma, I'm no musician myself, but I still don't have any time for tribute bands. There's nothing wrong with strumming along to your favourite songs, of course. And there's not even something legally or morally wrong about going on tour with somebody else's songs, I think. It's just not ... cool. Poor souls.

With classical music, it's a little different - Beethoven isn't in his best shape anymore, so if we want to hear his music live, somebody else has to play and direct it. That said, I don't have much time for classical concerts, either. Not because I don't like the music (I do), but because I don't see the point in listening to something being played in the exact same way, note by note, as I could listen to it at home. If Beethoven was up there on stage, alright, there would be at least some "star" factor, but otherwise ...

foma

« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:37 AM »
Back to thread, I wish Mark used this picture in the booklet for that page:

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »

Indeed, I was wondering which effects he uses to make the strat sound like Hendrix: I assume it is the hot cake he used on last tour  :)

Fabulous sound isn't it....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
It occurs to me that at least for this song, Mark wasn't inspired by Dylan, who once sang: "I have nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me ..."  :lol

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »
Or maybe he was inspired by Bob's recent Musicares speech when he rounded on many a fellow performer to slag them off!

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2015, 03:26:04 PM »

Ditto...Good point Dusty! Thank you for posting it that clear.
foma, who is on this picture with such a juicy lips like Angelina Jolie?   :D  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:41:07 PM by Slavi »

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »

So well said.

Yes I totally agree that it's much more easy to be in Guy Fletcher's shoes than in AC's ones but life is not fair, has never been and never will be!!! MK is a mighty man and he choosed GF to work with. There must be something that made him take this decision and it was a long time ago!! Must be good chemistry between them!! Too bad for Alan Clark, I admit!!! Feel also sorry for him!!! :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 41 queries.