Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146835 times)

foma

Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #315 on: April 09, 2015, 10:58:41 PM »
MK once paid a dentist with a bag full of coins because he thought the price was too high

it was in the 1990s

Don't know the facts behind this but if it's true MK was behaving like a dick.

Imagine you worked in a dentist and a millionaire rock star walked in and paid in coins. You would  say "what a dick".

To be fair, MK often seemed like a dick in the DS days, another reason why going solo was a good thing.

And what if the dentist was a dick and thought ‘Hey, since he's a big star, I'm gonna take a bag of gold out of him!’.

Don't know the facts either, but paying too much for somebody's work, if you feel that it was overpriced, seems good to me even if you're millionaire.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #316 on: April 15, 2015, 03:51:09 PM »
Is there someone who could explain why some Italian fans go on like "Bieber-fans" (on the GF forum) about the supposed difference in tribute bands?

And why all that rage? Feels like some Italians react like they are five years old and have been candy robbed because of TOTT.

What's all the fuzz about?
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #317 on: April 15, 2015, 05:50:01 PM »
Is there someone who could explain why some Italian fans go on like "Bieber-fans" (on the GF forum) about the supposed difference in tribute bands?

And why all that rage? Feels like some Italians react like they are five years old and have been candy robbed because of TOTT.

Hej Border_Reiver, that's the difference between Italian, French, Spannish fans and German, Norwegian, Swedish Fans!!! The more you're going South, the more there is fuzz and insults on the Net. You People from Northern Europe are taking things like that much better!!! And I prefer much more your way of behaving!! Sometimes I really wonder why I came back to France after my divorce!!!??? By the way I asked GF how he would have reacted after hearing TOTT if he was just a Fan of MK's music and he answered that he would have felt enlightned!!!!! So he knows that most of us are quite aware of what was going on with the Band when they were still  together and then when MK decided to make a solo carreer!! :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlineaborille

• Local Hero
« Reply #318 on: April 16, 2015, 10:08:06 AM »

Because:

a) DS Legends are based in Italy
b) Marco Caviglia is not considered a nice person by everybody
c) You are talking about a couple of angry guys, banned from the italian DS/MK forum ( leaded by Marco Caviglia), for their "specific" opinion about TOTT

Italians have many other different things to care of, trust me.

Alessandro

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2015, 10:42:10 AM »
Actually this song has nothing to do with DS Legends nor Marco Caviglia...

It's about Alan Clark and The Straits.

So I don't get what´s wrong with the Italian forum.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »

Agree Jbaent, it's about Alan Clark and the Straits. Italians can overreact sometimes. Some years ago I remember we talked about some italian fans waiting all night in the hotellobby where MK and band were sleeping, just to try to catch them in the morning. Doesn't look very grown up behaviour, neither is it respecting the privacy of the band!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #321 on: April 16, 2015, 11:05:12 AM »

Because:

a) DS Legends are based in Italy
b) Marco Caviglia is not considered a nice person by everybody
c) You are talking about a couple of angry guys, banned from the italian DS/MK forum ( leaded by Marco Caviglia), for their "specific" opinion about TOTT

Italians have many other different things to care of, trust me.

Alessandro

OK, thank you for clarifying!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineaborille

• Local Hero
« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2015, 12:59:44 PM »

Because they mistakenly mixed two different matters:

1) TOTT meaning and referral (Alan Clark & the Straits)
2) Mark's approval to "the straits" and "DS Legends" projects. (He does not approve neither of them)

Alessandro

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2015, 02:00:03 PM »

Agree Jbaent, it's about Alan Clark and the Straits. Italians can overreact sometimes. Some years ago I remember we talked about some italian fans waiting all night in the hotellobby where MK and band were sleeping, just to try to catch them in the morning. Doesn't look very grown up behaviour, neither is it respecting the privacy of the band!

I agree that it is more about the Straits than DS legends; but anyhow, Guy clearly stated that it is about tribute bands in general, so I don´t see why this should have nothing to do with DS legends...? My interpretation is that MK doesn't like tribute bands in general (the 'poor souls' statement), but the Straits and AC´s behaviour were the main impetus for writing the song.

Offlineaborille

• Local Hero
« Reply #324 on: April 16, 2015, 02:27:04 PM »

I agree that it is more about the Straits than DS legends; but anyhow, Guy clearly stated that it is about tribute bands in general, so I don´t see why this should have nothing to do with DS legends...? My interpretation is that MK doesn't like tribute bands in general (the 'poor souls' statement), but the Straits and AC´s behaviour were the main impetus for writing the song.

No It's not about tribute bands in general. That's the interview:

"A few years ago, former member of Dire Straits, calling themselves the Straits, began touring, playing the old repertoire that Knopfler himself often avoids onstage. "Poor souls," Knopfler says of that band, before softening his tone. "I don't know — it's not for me."

Alessandro

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #325 on: April 16, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »

No It's not about tribute bands in general. That's the interview:

"A few years ago, former member of Dire Straits, calling themselves the Straits, began touring, playing the old repertoire that Knopfler himself often avoids onstage. "Poor souls," Knopfler says of that band, before softening his tone. "I don't know — it's not for me."

Alessandro

Alessandro, Guy have stated quite often that is about tribute bands in general ("I don't see what is so confusing. They are both tribute bands." from April 6). I agree that it is mainly about the Straits, maybe also the 'poor souls' statement. But, sorry, what you think MK thinks of DS Legends...? Sure not 'happy souls' ;)

Offlineaborille

• Local Hero
« Reply #326 on: April 16, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »

Alessandro, Guy have stated quite often that is about tribute bands in general ("I don't see what is so confusing. They are both tribute bands." from April 6). I agree that it is mainly about the Straits, maybe also the 'poor souls' statement. But, sorry, what you think MK thinks of DS Legends...? Sure not 'happy souls' ;)

I understand we could have different opinion.
I think that these two bands (and only these two bands) behave very different compared with tribute bands "in general".

As I said before, there are two matters we often mix. But they are quite different:

1) TOTT meaning and referral (Alan Clark & the Straits)
2) Mark's approval to "the straits" and "DS Legends" projects. (He does not approve neither of them)

Mark opinion about these two bands, has nothing to do with tribute bands in general. IMHO.

Alessandro
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:07:30 PM by aborille »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #327 on: April 16, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »

I think that these two bands (and only these two bands) behave very different compared with tribute bands "in general".

Alessandro

Yes, even it was Alan Clark statements when being interviewd about The Straits what made MK feel upset with it. MK doesn´t mind about the DS Legends, if he did, John Illsley, who is still MK's best friend wouldnt had played with them.

MK is Ok with all the tribute bands, but he doesn´t aprove any of them, as it´s not needed, as long as they pay the fees (and they do) it is ok and legal.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #328 on: April 16, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »

Alessandro

Yes, even it was Alan Clark statements when being interviewd about The Straits what made MK feel upset with it. MK doesn´t mind about the DS Legends, if he did, John Illsley, who is still MK's best friend wouldnt had played with them.

MK is Ok with all the tribute bands, but he doesn´t aprove any of them, as it´s not needed, as long as they pay the fees (and they do) it is ok and legal.

I think that as I said it before we'll NEVER know what went on between AC and MK but as far I can see when I listened to the very hard words he used in TOTT such as "you never made it and you never will" makes me feel that this is the reaction of a very angry MK who may have exchanged very nasty conversations with AC in the past!!! The problem now is was it necessary to make this public because some Fans of MK and tribute bands of DS took  it as if they were concerned which is according to me the wrong way!!! I believe that it's a private matter
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #329 on: April 16, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »

Alessandro

I think that as I said it before we'll NEVER know what went on between AC and MK but as far I can see when I listened to the very hard words he used in TOTT such as "you never made it and you never will" it makes me feel that this is the reaction of a very angry MK who may have exchanged very nasty conversations with AC in the past!!! The question now is, was it really necessary to make this public because some Fans of MK and Tribute Bands of DS took  it as if they were concerned which is according to me very wrong!!! I deeply believe that it's a private unfinished business between the 2 parts!!! Finally you're right Jbaent when you said that even if he doesn't approve them, MK is ok with tribute bands as long as they're paying the fees!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.