Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (15) Heart Of Oak (1:43)  (Read 42821 times)

OfflineFabioSorbello

• Guitar George
Re: (15) Heart Of Oak (1:43)
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2016, 09:21:15 AM »
I am pretty confident, from what I know of him who I have been following for over 25 years, about my interpretation. This said nobody knows exactly what Mark writes about and we can only make a best guess. So I cannot claim that this is 'the meaning of the song'
The Oldest Surfer on the Beach was not written by Mark as far as I know but by Jimmy Buffet.
There are lots of lovely things in the worlds and then there is Mark... And he is unique and irreplaceable!

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
Well, the truth is - It could be about any HERO!
Anyone is recognised here is welcome in my book.
Also, my apologies but I would say what I want - Subtle and Intangible - but I can feel a bit of envy in your explanation FabioSorbello?
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
To me it is about ageing. It is about heroes, but that could mean about you and me. We are heroes, too. We feed the kids, care for our family, pets, flowers - whatever floats your boat. And sometimes we might get the feeling that it all will have to end. You may have got a trillion dollars, but when we arrive at the pearly gates, it doesn't matter anymore. So make the best out of it and enjoy the ride! Whatever you want to do, do it with passion.

That's it what I think about HoO after some time.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineFabioSorbello

• Guitar George
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
I also think that it is about heros and ageing.... And I am aware that any artist to be able to express others need to somehow speak about him/herself first... Mine was just a contribution, I honestly don't mind any other interpretation, but let me choose by myself that which I believe is most appropriate...

I haven't got time for provocations. Isn't this a place for grown ups? The place for fans interested in knowing more about Mark and his music? I love Mark and whatever I write and think comes naturally from it. I have no interested in books or any other show off....
There are lots of lovely things in the worlds and then there is Mark... And he is unique and irreplaceable!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
I also think that it is about heros and ageing.... And I am aware that any artist to be able to express others need to somehow speak about him/herself first... Mine was just a contribution, I honestly don't mind any other interpretation, but let me choose by myself that which I believe is most appropriate...

I haven't got time for provocations. Isn't this a place for grown ups? The place for fans interested in knowing more about Mark and his music? I love Mark and whatever I write and think comes naturally from it. I have no interested in books or any other show off....

I like that Mark have basically two types of songs — the ones with certain story, which you can turn into longer story or prose (5:15 a.m., Sailing To Philadelphia, Sultans Of Swing etc.) and the ones with meaning to be determined by every fan on their own (Heart Full Of Holes, Heart Of Oak, Golden Heart, etc.). Oh, I just realised I used three songs with "heart" in its name for the second example...

Love Expresso

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 10:26:50 PM »
Quite interesting take, Fabio. I personally think that the humbleness you were referring to forbids it for MK to write about himself this way. The song In The Sky for example contains "You're a light in the dark, a beacon of hope, strong as a sea boat, strong as a rope". These lines made it clear for me that the soul balladeer is not him as he would never talk about himself this way. Even if he chooses sceneries or metaphors he would never bring himself up as a hero. Look at Basil, look at LAJADAS, he is always having a refreshing distance to himself.

Might be rubbish but is the way I think his mind works.

Maybe you read my take of Heart of Oak being some sort of Epilogue to Remembrance Day which also featured those young boys in that Cricket Team who almost all not came back. (It was not unusual that complete teams went to war in a lot of small towns or villages across England and almost no one came back). Changing the perspective, mirroring an older song again is something he has done before. Broken Bones portraited a "victim" of Sonny Liston, a man he has written at least three songs about.

No it's not Cricket alone. But the older player, the Captain, realizes that the young ones, the Youth if you like, is gone. Not too far from your Interpretation I would say.

Be aware when you offer your opinions and Interpretations on MK stuff on this very special place it is open to discussion and discussion means sometimes little disturbance in the written word unintentionally. Not everyone is English spoken by Mother tongue (look at me for example). Is English your first language? Oh, one last "the mighty shoulder to the wheel" I learned is a phrase meaning trying hard, aiming for the best efforts if I am not mistaken.

Welcome!

LE
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:29:04 PM by Love Expresso »

Love Expresso

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2016, 10:43:26 PM »
What really struck me is your thought about the "last written song" as I was indeed thinking almost the same some days ago while listening to "Tracker". IF this would be his last album, it would be fine. With Basil and LAJADAS and some other songs he obviously had in mind to craft some sort of testament, personal signature, last important thoughts. Not in a depressing way but being aware that time is running and not coming back.

Heart of Oak very much would be my song of choice to play (and not Brothers in Arms) if I was working at a radio station and had to report the sad news sometime when THAT day is coming hopefully in a very far future.

Forgive me this slightly dark thought. Must be the stormy weather outside.

LE

OfflineFabioSorbello

• Guitar George
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
Hi love expresso,
I knew I would get a valid contribution from you. It' the main reason why I lost some sleep yesterday to write my post. I will think about your interpretation, which also seems plausible.
It's striking the fact that you quoted one of my all time favourite songs. And again I have got the opposite impression about its subject. I really find it very hard to believe that In the sky is not about Mark himself. There are songs where he is fully inspired by others and others where he may have been so but not predominantly.
I think Mark plays a lot with the words because he loves the odd phrases, he learned to write them down 50 years ago when he worked as a journalist, he reads a lot and he likes to write about himself in a way that people cannot really tell if it is him or not.
There are some songs like Silver Eagle or Are we in trouble now that can only be understood if one experiences in own life what he describes. It took me forever to understand the latter for example... It could be because my English was not very good 20 years ago (I am Italian) but the meaning shined obvious few years ago when I found myself in the same position as Mark describes it..... I hope you will agree that most of golden heart is about Kitty... It is way too obvious...

OfflineFabioSorbello

• Guitar George
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »
We are on the same line of thoughts there LE..... Tracker is Mark's testament and to me Heart of Oak is the key.
Yours is a dark thought that I have most days in the last few years unfortunately... I am really scared about that day when he'll go and I won't be able to wait for more beauty to be crafted by the master. I would rather go first myself.....

Love Expresso

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2016, 10:55:58 PM »
Nice response. I completely agree about Kitty. And he is indeed a man who thinks EXACTLY about every single word and letter in his songs. I rate his writing skills, his way of words, higher than the fact that he is a guitarist.

About In The Sky I agree to disagree.

I feel very puzzled that someone really should expect a post from me, but thanks a lot!

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2016, 10:59:23 PM »
We are on the same line of thoughts there LE..... Tracker is Mark's testament and to me Heart of Oak is the key.
Yours is a dark thought that I have most days in the last few years unfortunately... I am really scared about that day when he'll go and I won't be able to wait for more beauty to be crafted by the master. I would rather go first myself.....

Oh no. His work is so rich and complete in a way. And he is not done yet for sure. He will indeed work until he falls over as he once said or is stopped by destiny. He is not releasing some sort of crap like Bob Dylan does lately. Every song he crafts will be a Mark Knopfler trademark song (Altamira rubbish excluded). So hopefully long it may continue and many more songs will see the light of day! :-)

LE
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 11:03:27 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineFabioSorbello

• Guitar George
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2016, 11:00:18 PM »
I wasn't expecting a post from you... Your desire to know more made me write. I have been following Amit for years on and off and never wrote anything. I feel that there is no point in telling things to people who don't want to know. You wanted to know more and I told you. That's it....

Love Expresso

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 11:02:30 PM »
Ok I see, thanks!  :thumbsup AMIT is quite silent these days so your initial post was like a ray of light.

LE

OfflineFabioSorbello

• Guitar George
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 11:04:53 PM »
Altamira Rubbish??????????
To me it's wonderful!!! But the difference may be that I am from Sicily and those sounds feel like home.
To me the only issue with Altamira is that it is way too short....
Every time I listen to it feels like I have been waiting ages from the previous time

Love Expresso

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2016, 11:07:20 PM »
It would be interesting to hear your take on Are We In Trouble Now. I don't think that song has been discussion ver much. So if you like feel free to contribute.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 49 queries.