Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT reviews of Tracker  (Read 71668 times)

surferboy

Re: AMIT reviews of Tracker
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
Thank you very much yontwocrows for your detailed and very insightful review.
I think you grasped the essence and the overall intention of the album.
Your post is an absolute highlight.

At the same time I want to thank everybody who posts their impressions of the first listenings here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:45:22 PM by surferboy »

Offlinejerrymb

• Guitar George
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
I can't take any review seriously when the reviewer calls the album rubbish.

foma

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
I can't take any review seriously when the reviewer calls the album rubbish.

Yes, it's just a genuine disrespect. It's like you talk to someone and say 'You're an a$$hole, and that's why you wrong'. And then — the review.

Nobody be willing to continue any discussions after something like that.

Offlinejerrymb

• Guitar George
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 03:20:20 PM »
If you go to Amazon and check out the reviews for all of MK albums you will see that all of his albums have some 1 star reviews. RD,Sailing To Philadelphia,Shangrla all have some 1 star reviews. A review is an opinion. It is not a fact. Some people have given 1 star reviews to Dylan's Blonde on Blonde!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »
I rate the album 7/10, which as I said previously is pretty weak compared to what he wrote in the past

I like several songs Laughs, Basil, Skydiver, Long Cool Girl, Taormina, Beryl
but the problem is that they are 'just' good songs, No superb song.

I do have hopes for the 7 extra songs, especially since Guy Fletcher called 'Terminal of Tribute to'
his favourite of the album. Let's see.
Same feeling here. Of course it is a MK album, so it can't sound bad. It will always be good to play on a Sunday afternoon when hosting family and friends.

BUT... on every MK album so far there was a song I fell in love with. Even on Shangri-La, which I don't like that much overall, there is "Postcards
from Paraguay" which was a killer for me; Same for Golden Heart, I was a bit disappointed, but there was the title song and Rudiger; STP and TRD had many killer songs for me; Get Lucky has Border and Piper which are masterpieces; and even the underrated (for me) KTGC had "Punish the Monkey" which most people find catachy. Here... there are songs I do like (Laughs, Basil, Long Cool Girl, Skydiver which yes is beatle-istic), but no song so far that I get obsessed with.

Mark is done, not only with long guitar solos, but also with musical complexity. I think his skills as a writer of such songs peaked with Making Movies (Tunnel of Love especially) and even more Love Over Gold (Telegraph Road mostly, probably the one song I will choose as #1 from all his career, although there are many others that come very close). The LOG album is the closest thing to a Pink Floyd album that Mark has done, on par with the mighty "Wish you were here". From Brothers in Arms onwards, Mark has focused on shorter, simpler songs. Very nice but not that complex.

The MM/LOG period is long gone, and it's too bad. Not to say I don't like the rest, I do like it a lot. But this was the cusp, at least for me.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:25:12 PM by herlock »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »
From Brothers in Arms onwards, Mark has focused on shorter, simpler songs. Very nice but not that complex.

The MM/LOG period is long gone, and it's too bad. Not to say I don't like the rest, I do like it a lot. But this was the cusp, at least for me.

I don't think anyone can argue with that but let's be positive.  We have a new album and it should be an exciting time for us on what is a Mark Knopfler fan forum after all.  No point in looking back to the early 80s because comparison is futile due to a completely new-fashioned style of music.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »
From Brothers in Arms onwards, Mark has focused on shorter, simpler songs. Very nice but not that complex.

I don't think anyone can argue with that but let's be positive.  We have a new album and it should be an exciting time for us on what is a Mark Knopfler fan forum after all.  No point in looking back to the early 80s because comparison is futile due to a completely new-fashioned style of music.

Exactly, dmg, we are in full agreement!    :clap     ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »

Exactly, dmg, we are in full agreement!    :clap     ;D

I never thought I'd hear myself say (or write) that!  Hypocritical?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

LoveExpresso

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
LE sits on his sofa and listens to the bonus tracks right now as the nice lady at the Media Markt was so friendly to look through all the boxes and open the right one for me. So I have the Hot Dog Edition here right now playing. Whoever said all the bonus songs were rockers (came from Spain that info) has a strange meaning of "rocker".

Please give me time to listen to them and get an opinion.
I will write soon enough.

LE

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
LE sits on his sofa and listens to the bonus tracks right now as the nice lady at the Media Markt was so friendly to look through all the boxes and open the right one for me. So I have the Hot Dog Edition here right now playing. Whoever said all the bonus songs were rockers (came from Spain that info) has a strange meaning of "rocker".

Please give me time to listen to them and get an opinion.
I will write soon enough.

LE

:wave :wave :wave
Proud member of the AMIT crew

LoveExpresso

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 04:40:48 PM »
.38 Special is described best as Dylanske  High Water-Mississippi alike Banjo-driven bluegrass song. Short, nice, not too much impact on the first listen .

My Heart Has Never Changed is somewhere between Cal soundtrack acoustic guitar and Long Highway. Not as good as Long Highway I might add.

Terminal of Tribute To is ... interesting. Sounds VERY Fletcheresque - could be from his second album, forgot that name..   ::)  Natural Sensation?
well not sensational, but a nice Gibson guitar sound. Background (Guy) very noticable. I am not getting warm with it yet.

So now, live for you ladies and gentlemen, what will bring Heart of Oak?

LE

LoveExpresso

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 04:42:21 PM »
Heart of Oak: Kind of medieval acoustic guitar and Mark alone, nothing else. Too short to get warm with yet.

LE

LoveExpresso

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
Hot Dog is 2:48 long.
I hesitate to spoil it here as it is a real surprise. Don't wish to spoil it for you. What do you think?

LE

LoveExpresso

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
Hot Dog is the

only rocking song of the bonus stuff (apart from the two from the box which I do not have and know). Hot Dog is best described as another Imelda kind of song. Distorted guitar, riff, pretty much like Imelda, but even better I would say. Short, dry, cool.

LE

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
Forgive me for saying but why register for a fan (die hard fans, here)  forum when you describe a lot as terrible? Maybe you can upload something from your own music, which is obviously described as musically 10/10, or a masterpiece. Maybe you can send mark some lyrics or so, so he can write better songs since he's just started making music and playing the guitar.

You don't have to like everything, but I find it irritating 10/10 when I come here and read things like terrible, poor etc. Thats not what I registrerd for, in 2008.

Thank you very much.

I'm entitled to an opinion just as you are. I am a diehard fan who loves MK but this album is not for me, there's just nothing in it. I have no motivation to hear the majority of the tracks live. I won't bother expressing opinion again if the response is just  "send your own lyrics" or "upload your own music". 

Perhaps I should say - best ever, great guitar solos, epic lyrics, wonderful melodies. Unfortunately I am not deluded, although I wish I was as I wanted a good album :-/

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 50 queries.