Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: AMIT reviews of Tracker  (Read 72325 times)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: AMIT reviews of Tracker
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2015, 08:55:36 PM »

It's a quiet album in a loud time full of dangers. It concentrates on love and experience of a lifetime, and is therefore also spiritual without any religious links. It's a necessary album in a world that spins way too fast. It's honest, it's pure, it touches me. It is important!

How can you read my thoughts? Joking aside, very well put and a better read than a lot of "professional" articles I've read so far. You should send your summary to guy, I'm sure they'll be glad about your impression.

You just brought a tear in the eye of a girl who've I been eating with tonight, she said that she really loved your words. So do I. I saved it :-)
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »

It's a quiet album in a loud time full of dangers. It concentrates on love and experience of a lifetime, and is therefore also spiritual without any religious links. It's a necessary album in a world that spins way too fast. It's honest, it's pure, it touches me. It is important!

How can you read my thoughts? Joking aside, very well put and a better read than a lot of "professional" articles I've read so far. You should send your summary to guy, I'm sure they'll be glad about your impression.

That's exactly what I thought, too. Much better than any of the professional reviews. Here's someone who really listened and understood.

Hey, that's why i started this topic  ;D (some heavy fuel line)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »

You just brought a tear in the eye of a girl who've I been eating with tonight, she said that she really loved your words. So do I. I saved it :-)

A date?  ;D ;D ;D  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2015, 09:04:32 PM »
I dont know if Jackal is on this forum but he has written a fairly amusing review on Guys forum. He's obviously not impressed.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2015, 09:04:41 PM »

A date?  ;D ;D ;D  ;)

Yes and she actually liked the album so I'm now dancing around;D
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »
I dont know if Jackal is on this forum but he has written a fairly amusing review on Guys forum. He's obviously not impressed.

"Fairly" amusing?  I thought it was hilarious!  Thanks for pointing me in the direction.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »

"Fairly" amusing?  I thought it was hilarious!  Thanks for pointing me in the direction.
yeah you're right it was very funny and clever. Guy didn't rise to
it though.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2015, 09:21:58 PM »

yeah you're right it was very funny and clever. Guy didn't rise to
it though.

His comeback would be predictable, of course.   ;D

LoveExpresso

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »
Wow. We know Jackal as a friendly intelligent critical man, funny, eloquent and cool. This one is well written as always and a little bit funny and VERY harsh. It seems he hasn't found anything good in Tracker.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »
Wow. We know Jackal as a friendly intelligent critical man, funny, eloquent and cool.
LE

Thought you'd got mixed up with me there LE!  ;)

LoveExpresso

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »
Oh wait. ..  ;D ;D :wave

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »
Oh wait. ..  ;D ;D :wave

LE

I'd settle for "cool" any day!  8)

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
I was at work and couldn't react to all your kind words to my review. Thank you. I thought it was way too long, and feared that i bored you. Glad that it was acceptable.

I laughed reading Jackals review on the Fletch forum. It was a good read! Its a pretty contrast to my point of view, and i can understand everybody who shares this opinion. Isn't it funny how divergent opinions are, even in a group with the same interests and loves! I like it when art beginns to polarize, that's a good sign. 

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2015, 11:27:35 PM »
Fair play to Guy for publishing Jackal's review. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMark Heritage

• Guitar George
    • Mark's Musings
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2015, 01:29:09 AM »
I gave the album a good listen while at work. It always takes me about 3 to 4 listens to get a feel for each song. I was underwhelmed to say the least, many slow tracks that did very little for me; nothing as obvious/catchy as say I Used to Could, Gator Blood or Corned Beef City. Privateering is my favourite MK album, so Tracker would need to be pretty special to come close.

MK has approached each album in a different way from the last (which keeps it interesting for him, and us) which brings mixed results. I wasn't impressed with the stagnant Shangri-La and especially Kill to Get Crimson, his weakest album by far; I thought that was it. Get Lucky restored my faith with more engaging and variable songs, and of course Privateering is superb!

I love the cover of Tracker, it's pretty epic (all MK covers are good and memorable) It reminds me of a movie poster. It's almost like MK could be chilling in that field, on a sunny day playing these chilled and laid back tunes. It has to be his most chilled effort to date; certainly is a new experience out of his now 8 solo albums, hence the new album approach view. I see Richard Bennett wasn't involved this time round.

Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smokes - An interesting opener, not had this style before. I like the tempo and beat, kinda jazzy, before the inevitable, and some what tiresome fiddle, whistle and flute element that's been present since Golden Heart, a whole 19 years ago! 7/10
Basil - Reminds me of In the Sky a lot, which I like. It's one of the better tracks. 8/10
River Towns Could have slotted on to Get Lucky, pleasant enough, but nothing special. 6/10
Skydiver - Something new here, it does indeed have a Beatles St. Pepper vibe to it. It's kinda fun but that's all 6/10
Mighty Man - As has been mentioned, this does have a heavy Belfast Child vibe. It is quite stirring in parts, but, not one of my faves 5/10
Broken Bones - A song about J.J. Cale, It does actually sound just like a Cale song :clap Not a fave either though 5/10
Long Cool Girl - I like this, above average, just. 7/10
Lights of Taormina - This could have been on Shangri-La, and like that album, not that enticing 5/10
Silver Eagle - One of my faves. Reminds me of Remembrance Day, although I like this better. 9/10
Beryl - Heard this loads on Radio 2 the past month and played it myself. It certainly stands out from the rest of the slow tempo tracks, and is another highlight. 9/10
Wherever I Go I don't think MK has ever done a poor closing song, and this is right up there. 8/10

It all sounds like Tracker could be a movie soundtrack.. Overall a drop in quality, patchy and disappointing..

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 42 queries.