Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Worldwide Chart positions: Tracker  (Read 31960 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: Worldwide Chart positions: Tracker
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
The marketing strategy this time seems to have put more effort into social media. I think they've underestimated this before. The result speaks for itself.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »
Tracker is the best result  on Mark's chart since 1991, but I think that albums like Golden Heart, I remember that it entryed in 40th Billboard chart in  1996, deserved more success, Shangri-la, almost same story.....happy that now mk's album is on the top

:wave

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:17:43 PM by straitsway75 »

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
No-12 in Australia. His highest charting solo album there.....compared to No-25 for Privateering. GL, KTGC etc were in the 40's.

Up to No-4 in New Zealand, in it's 2nd week.....compared to Privateering which got No-11

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
No-12 in Australia. His highest charting solo album there.....compared to No-25 for Privateering. GL, KTGC etc were in the 40's.

8) Proud to be an Aussie today.  8)

Not much else has made me proud in the past 18-months.  :wave
Far too many of us, are far too self interested to see a bigger picture , and what our part in it is.
Hope the underlying sentiment in the record invade as many Aussie hearts as possible.
Time for us to reset our empathy clocks next weekend not just the ones on the wall.  ;) :'(

SL1

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »
Today : Belgium 1/1  !!
yeah, and i'm from belgium, yeahhhhhh
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2015, 03:40:20 AM »
Steinei said yesterday:

>Tracker is definately the most successful album by MK
>more No 1's, No 14 in the US, No 4 in Canada
>That are superb sales. Well done Mark.

Here's the backup from billboard:
"Also: Mark Knopfler earns his highest charting solo album ever, Rush rallies after vinyl reissue"

Mark Knopfler, Tracker - No. 14: The veteran artist (and front man for Dire Straits) nets his highest charting solo album yet, as Tracker debuts at No. 14 with 36,000 units. That surpasses the No. 17 peak of both 2006's All the Roadrunning and 2009's Get Lucky.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6516787/billboard-200-chart-moves-fifty-shades-of-grey-mark-knopfler

Saul

Offlinepitx

• Local Hero
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 10:57:49 PM »

OfflineJohnRossEwing

• Banned
  • Local Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:59 PM »
when you take the sold albums, "Sailing to Philadelphia" is far more succesfull.
it´s another time ... 2001 / 2015
STP was sold over 3 million copies
Tracker will end i think at 350 - 500 000. that´s still a lot for today´s business.
maybe more No1 hits, but it´s quite impossible to get those selling numbers again - for every artist.

OfflineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 11:37:42 PM »
when you take the sold albums, "Sailing to Philadelphia" is far more succesfull.
Tracker will end i think at 350 - 500 000. that´s still a lot for today´s business.
maybe more No1 hits, but it´s quite impossible to get those selling numbers again - for every artist.
Are there digital/downloaded copies included or just cds?
Today "older" artists make money with tour tickets,not with selling albums.

OfflineJohnRossEwing

• Banned
  • Local Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 11:59:07 PM »
charts include all media that are sold (itunes/amazon/store ..)

in case of MK he has no need for both - earning money with album or tour

that´s why he has so much fun to do it and to do what HE wants

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:33 AM »
No19 in Greece.

7k sold in the UK last week. Trackers about halfway to a silver disc in Britain already, with over 28k sold in 2 weeks.

Offlinerosco

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 01:24:15 AM »

Tracker will be sitting on sales close to 250k ww right now....after 2 weeks.
Who knows what it will eventually sell over the years but one things for sure, it will be at least 4 times higher than the highest estimate you've gave JRE.

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 10:16:43 PM »
STILL POPULAR: Mark Knopfler’s latest album, “Tracker,” has debuted at number three.

By Geoffrey Rowlands

It’s no surprise to see Mark Knopfler back in the UK charts. His latest album, “Tracker,” has debuted at number three.
Much more surprising for many music fans is the realisation that “Tracker” is 65-year-old Mark’s eighth solo album. Despite his numerous collaborations with artists such as Eric Clapton, Sting and Chet Atkins, plus producing albums for Aztec Camera, Bob Dylan and Randy Newman, Mark will forever be primarily known as the singer, songwriter and guitarist with English rock band Dire Straits.
Six massively successful studio albums, three live and three compilation LPs saw the band spend well over 1,100 weeks in the UK chart and win a string of awards. Their career initially spanned 1977 to 1988 before reforming again three years later but disbanding permanently in 1995.
“It’s been a long time since we last played together but I don’t mind people still associating me with Dire Straits,” smiled the affable Mark. “I feel proud to have been part of a band which was so popular. In fact, I should say well-loved rather than just popular. I think that’s why our songs are still played and our popularity endures.”
Mark’s decision to pursue a solo career saw the demise of Dire Straits.
“The band had just become so big. I still loved playing our songs but the sheer scale of our tours was dehumanising. I’ve always enjoyed talking with people, not being cut off from them. Breaking up Dire Straits was my way of getting back to some kind of normality in my life.”
He certainly sees himself as a regular person rather than a rock star.
“I’ve worked since I was 14. I did all kinds of things when I was young. I worked in a factory, in a warehouse, on a farm, lots of manual labouring. I got into journalism and then teaching. But music was always my passion. I played in various bands, firstly around my family home in the north-east of England and then in London.
“I played in a band called Brewers Droop who made an album and Cafe Racers were pretty good but none of them were really much more than pub bands. It was only after I moved in with my brother David and his friend John Illsley that things started to happen. We decided to form a band together, recruited Pick Withers as our drummer and Dire Straits was born.
“I know it’s easy to say this now but we really did have the feeling that we could be something special. We recorded a five-song demo tape and asked a BBC Radio London DJ, Charlie Gillett, for his opinion. He liked the tape so much he played one of the songs on his show.
“That song was Sultans of Swing. Two months later, we had a recording contract. Not so very long after that, Sultans of Swing was a top ten hit in Britain and America.”
While not officially a Mark Knopfler album, his solo career had effectively begun with the creation of soundtrack music and songs for the 1983 film, Local Hero. He scored several more film soundtracks before “Golden Heart” became his debut solo album in 1996.
Although not quite as successful as his work with Dire Straits, all but one of Mark’s albums have been UK top ten hits. The exception, 2004’s “Shangri-La,” peaked at number 11. "I suppose we’d all like to think we’re getting better rather than just getting older. Maybe this is reflected in the chart position. Either that or a lot of people regard buying my album as some small way to recapture their youth

http://www.gulf-times.com/entertainment/240/details/432991/mark-knopfler%E2%80%99s-still-got-it

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »
Tracker is No 1 for it's second week now in Germany.
For the first time 2 weeks in a row.
YEAH

Must be because of the 3nach9 show.
But to be honest: not much competition now
only madonna and van morrsion and some german artists
Love will find a Way

OfflineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
Tracker is No 1 for it's second week now in Germany.
For the first time 2 weeks in a row.
YEAH

Must be because of the 3nach9 show.
But to be honest: not much competition now
only madonna and van morrsion and some german artists
Great! I mean, to keep madonna at distance is success when you think of all the promotion she does for her albums.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.