Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark and you - a small "profiling" project  (Read 8207 times)

11-54_Stringcheese

Mark and you - a small "profiling" project
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
Forgive me if this has been done before, but I thought it'd be fun to get a picture of who you are as fans (or maybe non-fans!) of Mark.

To this end, I'd like you to answer briefly the following questions:

1) How old were you when you discovered Mark (also includes discovering Dire Straits as many people might not have known who Mark was at the time)?
(If you don't want to give your exact age, you can write "child", "teenager", "young adult", "adult", etc.)

2) In which year did you discover Mark (and/or DS)?

3) How were you introduced to Mark and his music?
(Ex. "Heard him on the radio", "Saw Dire Straits on MTV", "A friend took me to a show", "A guitarist friend showed me some licks", "Loved the soundtrack of [movie here], and had to find out who the composer was", etc. You get the picture. Keep it short.)

4) What did you find so appealing about Mark and/or Dire Straits?
(Ex. "The guitar", "His voice", "The music", "The lyrics", "The whole package", etc. You may answer in full sentences of course, but don't write an essay.)

5) Briefly sum up your "history" and current relationship with Mark and/or Dire Straits.
(Ex. "After I heard Sultans in the 70s, I was hooked, and I've been following Mark closely ever since. I've been to a number of his concerts, and love everything he does. Huge fan forever.", "I love everything he did with Dire Straits, especially in the early years. Can't stand his solo work, so I don't go to see him live anymore.", "Love his roots-oriented DS work and folk-oriented solo work, but hate the cheesy synths and sax stuff. Big fan." Etc, etc.

Thanks for your replies!

11-54_Stringcheese

Re: Mark and you - a small "profiling" project
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
1) About 12 or 13.

2) 1988/1989.

3) I first saw DS on MTV, without knowing who they were. Later an older friend taught me the intro to Money For Nothing. I kept talking about what a great player Dire Straits was ...

4) The whole package, especially the guitar. Also liked the fact that DS were so normal, not like the other pop star idiots.

5) Mark and Dire Straits had a huge impact on my musical tastes and guitar playing during my teens. Discovered him at the end of the DS era, went backwards to the old stuff, then followed his solo career, although a bit from a distance. Never got to see him or DS live. First show will be now this summer. I'm no longer a Mark nut, frankly I find him terribly boring these days. I still keep an eye out for what he's up to, and he'll have a special place in my musical heart, but I think that there other artists, younger and his age, that offer far more exciting music.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Nice idea  :thumbsup

1. 10 years old
2. 1978
3. My uncle played the first album of DS when I was there
4. Especially the guitar
5. Followed DS from the beginning, went to my first concert in 1985, went to some shows on every tour from then on, started to like his solo stuff as well and still try to see as many shows as possible

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »
1.  8 years old.
2.  1985
3.  My best friends older brother was a fan and we borrowed his tape of BIA, placed it on the ghetto-blaster and played air guitar 'till the cows came home!
4.  At first it was the intro to MFN that was played over and over again, so guitar for me.  Vocals came later once I listened to more songs.
5.  From the moment I heard that riff I knew this was for me.  DS was the first band I started to follow and have always been there.  I still think his music is the best, although his current stuff isn't in the same class as early DS IMHO.  To say his music has been an important part of my life though is an understatement.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

foma

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »
1. How old were you when you discovered Mark? I was 15.

2. In which year did you discover Mark? In 2005.

3. How were you introduced to Mark and his music?

Dad bought a ticket to his show in Saint Petersburg for me. So I was literally introduced to Mark by himself waving to the audience.

4. What did you find so appealing about Mark?

I was an avid listener at the time, my favourite music was jazz (I heard it live a lot), The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Russian singers-songwriters.
My English was bad so it was only music for the reason I listened 'Sultans Of Swing' compilation over and over nightlong (was bought after the concert).
Later on I discovered his lyrics also to be very moving. And no, he wasn't the reason I took the guitar to start learning how to play, it was my dad ;)

5. Briefly sum up your "history" and current relationship with Mark.

After 10 years of listening and playing, I know almost each and every of Mark's songs. As well as dozens of other's artists songs, jazz standards, almost whole Beatles' songs, but only with MK I feel myself really 'at home'. Being at home — that's how I would describe my lifetime relationship with Mark.

Not 'Soundtrack of my life' thing though. I listen A LOT of music, but Mark just drives me the most. And I quite don't like his recent tour.

Also, interesting fact for musicians — I never ever learned how to play 'Sultans Of Swing'. I learned any song, but not SOS.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »
1.   40 yrs (adult)   ;D
2.   1983
3.    My son brought home a home-made compilation tape, made by his friend.   I thought it was probably the usual punk stuff, so ignored it for quite a while, but when I eventually listened to it I was blown away and knew this was my kind of music.
4.    Everything!   The fantastic guitar which complemented the rough voice and, of course, the music.  There were no credits on the tape and it was before the internet, so I went into town and found all the details on an official tape in HMV.  I couldn't believe that the guitarist and the singer were one and the same person!   I was smitten - I still am!
5.    These days, I am more of an MK solo fan, although I still listen to and enjoy lots of DS material - Marks solo work is much more to my taste now and I am convinced that I will be a fan until either one of us falls over!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 10:57:33 AM »
Cool idea!!
1) 10 years old

2) 1985

3) initially as a young guitarist I was influenced by Hank Marvin and was introduced to Mark and indeed his style of playing when Hank & MK 'dueted' during 'Going Home' at the BIA tour Wembley Arena gigs...

4) Again having followed Hank Marvin/Shadows for a few years while learning the guitar it has to be MK's unique style of guitar playing that grabbed me initially.

5) From the initial introduction to MK in 1985, I have been totally and utterly hooked and my wife and I are on a journey in life inspired by MK's music. From 1985 MK became my main guitar influence and I have been so inspired that I have learnt to finger-pick to a good standard! Actually Meeting and chatting to MK in 2013 has to be one of the greatest moments in my life (as you all know!)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 11:01:11 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 10:37:24 PM »
Forgive me if this has been done before, but I thought it'd be fun to get a picture of who you are as fans (or maybe non-fans!) of Mark.

To this end, I'd like you to answer briefly the following questions:

1) How old were you when you discovered Mark (also includes discovering Dire Straits as many people might not have known who Mark was at the time)?
(If you don't want to give your exact age, you can write "child", "teenager", "young adult", "adult", etc.)

(Ex. "Heard him on the radio", "Saw Dire Straits on MTV", "A friend took me to a show", "A guitarist friend showed me some licks", "Loved the soundtrack of [movie here], and had to find out who the composer was", etc. You get the picture. Keep it short.)

(Ex. "The guitar", "His voice", "The music", "The lyrics", "The whole package", etc. You may answer in full sentences of course, but don't write an essay.)

5) Briefly sum up your "history" and current relationship with Mark and/or Dire Straits.
(Ex. "After I heard Sultans in the 70s, I was hooked, and I've been following Mark closely ever since. I've been to a number of his concerts, and love everything he does. Huge fan forever.", "I love everything he did with Dire Straits, especially in the early years. Can't stand his solo work, so I don't go to see him live anymore.", "Love his roots-oriented DS work and folk-oriented solo work, but hate the cheesy synths and sax stuff. Big fan." Etc, etc.

Thanks for your replies!

Hi Stringcheese,

1. I was 22 and I did not know anything about Mark except that he was the singer and the lead Guitarist!!

2. it was in 1980

3. I heard Alchemy on a tape, some friend from work lent it to me. She said that she was sure that I would love it once I heard the songs!!

4. I loved first the guitar playing, his voice then his music and the lyrics. It was like I discovered finally what kind of music I was really fond of!!

5.So my story with MK/DS is not exactly like many of you lucky ones here on this forum. I followed DS by hearing them on radio, I couldn't attend any concerts from the beginning up to this year 2015 because   life has his way sometimes. I lost a bit track with DS 2 years then I met my ex and moved shortly after to Sweden!!! There I had a neighbour who was also very Fan of DS and here I was again hypnotised specially when I saw them on TV on the Live Aid show!! Finally my brother came to visit me in 1986 and he arrived with a beautiful present for me "Brothers In Arms" the blue LP with the National on it!!
 Unfortunately I lost it when I divorced in1999, had to buy the CD!! Since Internet came into my house I follow MK on YouTube and with you lately!!!

Thanks for asking these questions, there are much more to tell about my DS's experience but it would be too long. Although I can tell you that when Paris Gig the 2nd of June was over and that I came home, I told my family: Now I can die in peace, I've seen MK performing live, SOS and R&J!!! Although I'm not ready to pass away but who knows life is short. :thumbsup :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
1) 19

2) 1978

3) Heard Sultans on the radio. Loved the guitar, hated the voice. I remember saying to a mate that if they got a decent singer this band could be big. Of course I didn't realise until I got the album that guitarist and singer were the same guy!

4) Initially the guitar. But once I heard the first album in all it's glory, it quickly became the whole package.

5) Hooked by the first album, right from the first notes of 'Down to the waterline" and I have happily followed Mark on his journey ever since - I even grew to love his voice!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:00:55 AM by FenderBender »
This baker's boy from the West Country

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
1) 15 when I first heard DS on the radio; 19 when I became a fan

2) 1978

3) Heard Sultans on the radio

4) Once I listened to "Dire Straits" in full, I found the whole package appealing.

5) I remember hearing Sultans on the radio when I was 15 and I HATED it.  I was used to the crap that was on radio in the US in those days and Sultans was so different that I couldn't stand it.  Mainly because I hated MK's voice and the song had so many lyrics.  I would immediatly change the station when I heard those opening notes.  Then in college I had a roommate who was talking about great guitarists and she mentioned MK.  I said "who's that?".  She said "the guy from Dire Straits who plays that great guitar solo."  I said "What guitar solo?  I never listen past the first 3 notes."   So she made me sit down and listen to the entire first album, and I was hooked midway through "Down to the Waterline".  By the time we got to Sultans on the back side I was totally into it and have loved it ever since. 

The depth and intellegence of the lyrics and the way MK's voice told the story, along with the music and of course the incredible guitar playing are what made me a fan.  I stuck with MK when he went solo and still love his music.  As much as I loved the early DS, I really enjoy his solo music too.  Never had a chance to see a DS concert, but have seen him solo several times.  Have tickets for St. Augustine in October.

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »
1. 9 yo
2. 1985
3. My father bought a CD player and BIA was offered with the player
4. The whole album, but mainly SFA , MFN and WOL. I loved those 3 songs so much !
5. Later I loved the whole album, then my parents gave me the other DS albums on occasions as birthdays, Xmas... More and more fan, and die hard fan after having seen MK for the first time in Paris 12/07/96! Since , I've seen at every tour from 1 to 4 times at every tour. Best concerts for me : Paris 96, Lyon 2001, Lille 2005, Paris 2006, Luxembourg 2010, Lille 2011, London 2013, Paris 2015
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 11:27:58 PM »

Adult, to put it mildly.

Early this century.

It has happened by the merest chance.
As far as I recollect, I heard some DS songs (MFN, BIA) when I was young, but they went largely unnoticed by me.
However a few years ago everything has changed for some reasons, which I wouldn't like to talk about.

His human qualities, including his vulnerability.

Prefer his mature work, the sole exception is Telegraph Road.

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 12:24:33 AM »
1) 12

2) 2002

3) Mark was playing on a song on a Thin Lizzy cd I had just gotten (my favorite band at the time) called Kings Call. I didn't know anything about him though.

4) At that time I thought his playing was so smooth and melodic, but I didn't check him out any further until...

5) As a big Les Paul fan saving money to buy one, I saw a video of Darling Pretty and thought it was great (both his Les Paul and the song). And after that I just kind of ate up everything that MK had done as a solo performer. The DS listening came in after being a fan for maybe four years (don't ask me why I waited so long!).

Being my age it's kind of difficult to find like minded friends  ;D

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 02:54:26 AM »
I had listen to DS before, but became a fan:

1- 16

2- 1986

3- I was in my bedroom when my mother ( rest in peace mom , love you!!) called me , "shouting" ( my bedroom was on in the attick ) that a great band was playing on the TV , it was the famous Wembley gig broadcasted by Veronica (dutch tv). So we watched that show together with the sound loud. After that the house was filled daily with the sound of dire Straits and Mark Knopfler and yep my mother became a sort of fan too.

4- absolutely his guitar playing at that moment especially his right hand "claw hammer" picking technique and the sound of it. I never used a pick myself after that ( which i didn't before anyhow).

5- i still love the music of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler no doubt . Like some more people here i am very involved in the bootlegs recordings and sharing them.
Also by Mark i recovered a bunch of other artists for which i own him many thanks..............but my biggest thanks and love goes to my mom ( who past away much too young) for calling to the attick, i went downstairs, into the living-room on the  couch  for a great watch at the TV and singing along most songs with my eyes secured on Marks hands.

thx mom :-*
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Nice story Enlight, sorry to hear your mum passed away way too young.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 43 queries.