Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tribute bands  (Read 5456 times)

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
Tribute bands
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:08:02 PM »
Hi there
I have a silly question to fellow Europeans - and maybe to Americans from the North, to.

I've been discovering, with your help and thru the net, a lot of tribute bands other than The Straits or the Legends. My questions are: is there a solid market to DS tribute bands all around Europe? Do they regularly tour? Is there a loyal fan base to this kind of shows?

Here in Brazil, DS is almost completely forgotten by now. Some airplay in rock radio stations and nothing more. But knowing about European tribute bands makes me wonder how much DS is still remembered over there.

Thanks in advance

Love over gold, mind over matter

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Tribute bands
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
Brothers in band are very very popular in Spain and they fill venues up to 2000 people, sometimes more, for example, they played in Sevilla at exactly the same venue where MK is gonna play next week.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:28:37 PM »
Interesting question.  I know that there are tribute bands in Spain and Germany (Italy too, I think) but as to whether or not they have a following would be interesting to know.

I know through a friend that some tribute bands of The Doors had a bit of a following and that one or two of them were generally known on the circuit to be the best, so they were the ones to go and see.  If I recall, one was the L.A. Doors.  I even saw them myself years ago!  I suppose the most famous band of this kind is The Bootleg Beatles.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:55 PM »
Brothers in band are very very popular in Spain and they fill venues up to 2000 people, sometimes more, for example, they played in Sevilla at exactly the same venue where MK is gonna play next week.

Very impressive and good to know there is still a market for proper music and musicians to ply their trade instead of manufactured crap.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:33:44 PM »

Very impressive and good to know there is still a market for proper music and musicians to ply their trade instead of manufactured crap.

And they are getting attention of promoters from various countries, you might get a chance to see them around your city in the future  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »

And they are getting attention of promoters from various countries, you might get a chance to see them around your city in the future  ;D

I'd do that but I doubt they'd come North of the border.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »

I'd do that but I doubt they'd come North of the border.

Find a promoter interested in bringing them to your country and I will convince them  ;D

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
There's a good market for it in some countries - certainly on mainland Europe. I play in a tribute band in the UK and we do pretty well - playing to regional theatres usually about 200-300 capacity.

I think as long as it's done well - like Brothers in Band, Dire Strats and my band of course ;-) - then you'll get good crowds.

If anything, crowds have picked up in the last couple of years And getting more younger people along who like DS from listening to their parents' records when they were kids.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »
Interesting question.  I know that there are tribute bands in Spain and Germany (Italy too, I think) but as to whether or not they have a following would be interesting to know.

I know through a friend that some tribute bands of The Doors had a bit of a following and that one or two of them were generally known on the circuit to be the best, so they were the ones to go and see.  If I recall, one was the L.A. Doors.  I even saw them myself years ago!  I suppose the most famous band of this kind is The Bootleg Beatles.

Yes, here in Brazil maybe Beatles and U2's tribute bands have some chance of keeping regular work basys.

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »

So I wish them luck. They're good and make a decent job out of DS music!

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 10:16:24 PM »
And getting more younger people along who like DS from listening to their parents' records when they were kids.

This was exactly one of the things that crosses my mind when I think about tribute bands. As long as MK cut more and more DS from the setlist each and every tour, these tribute bands may be the main path to keep the legacy of DS.

Any chance to hear something from your band? Is there anything on youtube or so?

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »
And getting more younger people along who like DS from listening to their parents' records when they were kids.

This was exactly one of the things that crosses my mind when I think about tribute bands. As long as MK cut more and more DS from the setlist each and every tour, these tribute bands may be the main path to keep the legacy of DS.

Any chance to hear something from your band? Is there anything on youtube or so?

This is our promo video - we should do some more!

And this is a live recording from a concert last year https://soundcloud.com/john-brunsdon-1/romeo-and-juliet-live-st-ives

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »

This is our promo video - we should do some more!

And this is a live recording from a concert last year https://soundcloud.com/john-brunsdon-1/romeo-and-juliet-live-st-ives

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »
arly tour? Is there a loyal fan base to this kind of shows?
But knowing about European tribute bands makes me wonder how much DS is still remembered over there.

I don't know much about tribute bands, and I must admit I m not interested in, but regarding how DS is rememebered, I would say that it's a band looked "cheesy" in France (you know the headband etc...), it's not the kind of band that have a good image nowadays I think. maybe other french forumers could argue different, but when I talk about DS/MK around me, it doesn't provide a good mood, more a chessy feel, at least it's my impression. some hits are still aired on radio though

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
  • Fender Stratocaster 61'
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
We can see in YouTube lots of tribute bands, and lots of people playin' Mk style.
Some are better and some worse, but all of them share our passion...
As I think, if this is like this, it's because the DS spirit still remains strong...

I played guitar before, in an attempt to tribute band, but it didn't work  :hmm anyway today I play at home all those great DS & MK themes.

Concerning to the tribute bands, here in Spain I know the next ones:

"Brothers in Band"
"Rockaway"
"Real Straits"
"Sultans of Swing"

Live, I only have seen "Brothers in Band", and I must to say they are really good...  Buy my opinion is not valid here because the leader, Oscar Rosende, is a friend of mine  :)
 :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 36 queries.