Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK versus Springsteen  (Read 4240 times)

OfflineWaterofLove

• Local Hero
MK versus Springsteen
« on: April 04, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »
Personally I think it is kind of weird that Springsteen is more popular and more honored as an artist/guitarist than MK. Any thoughts on the reasons behind this? Is it because Springsteen is American so he was more in the right place for the whole music industry and so on? More in the center of where everything happened? Neither his lyrics nor his guitar playing is better thank MK. For example MK's solos which are ultrafantastic, Springsteen's guitar playing doesn't stand out in that way

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
Re: MK versus Springsteen
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »
Rapidly, I would think in a bunch of things taht make him more popular than MK.

- He is more publicity-friendly than Mark
- His social activism
- Regularity on touring and releasing albums
- The length and energy on shows
- Born on the USA alone, a love or hate hymn
Love over gold, mind over matter

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
Have you ever been on one of his shows before? Well, give it a try (he's on tour right now), and answer for yourself :lol
But of course he and Mark are complete opposites. Mark, at least a 'new era' Mark, is more like a jazz artist.
I wish he would do more shows in really small places like Ronnie Scott's. The O2 is for Springsteen.

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
As far as I know MK is a way more respected guitar player than Bruce  :hmm

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »
In terms in setlist variation, song requests and fans interaction there is no competition. Springsteen keeps on impressing me with these things when MK trails way way way way waaaaaaaaayyyyyy behind here. MK is a top shelf musician but not an artist. If he had half of the same charisma and humbleness towards the fans as Springsteen does, he would be the one selling out grand arenas and getting all the attention.

But even during the OES tour MK had the aura of a cacti plant. They are just different, but the grumpyness that MK sometimes have towards the fans is annoying. Giving something back in terms of soft values isn't tedious and is virtually cost free.

Still... MK's the favourite, because Springsteen never wrote Sultans or the proper Tunnel of love  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:07:53 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
I would say that Springsteen in both an artist and entertainer.
Mark is only an artist.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 07:36:00 PM »
All is in the documentary "springsteen and I" about interaction between the boss and his fans

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 08:37:47 PM »

Still... MK's the favourite, because Springsteen never wrote Sultans or the proper Tunnel of love  ;D
:thumbsup
 ;)
 ;D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »
I just saw Springsteen in LA.  It was a great show, and it was my anniversary show of seeing him perform The River again -- 36 years later in the same venue -- so that was really cool! -- And a shoutout to SilentGuy, who was a great concert buddy!!!!  :wave :wave :wave
Anyway, it was really wonderful to see him perform -- smiling the entire time and interacting with the audience, while going through an energetic four-hour set (we got bonus tracks since it was the last rock concert at the Los Angeles Sports Arena before it is demolished, and replaced by a soccer stadium...).  Just seeing him crowd-surf while singing Hungry Heart (and again smiling the entire time!) was pure joy.  Bruce relates to his fans, and has many great songs (which for me, does not include Born in the USA  :P).
...Yet, he's got nothing on MK. :-*
If you ain’t got whiskey

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:54 PM »
I just saw Springsteen in LA.  It was a great show, and it was my anniversary show of seeing him perform The River again -- 36 years later in the same venue -- so that was really cool! -- And a shoutout to SilentGuy, who was a great concert buddy!!!!  :wave :wave :wave
Anyway, it was really wonderful to see him perform -- smiling the entire time and interacting with the audience, while going through an energetic four-hour set (we got bonus tracks since it was the last rock concert at the Los Angeles Sports Arena before it is demolished, and replaced by a soccer stadium...).  Just seeing him crowd-surf while singing Hungry Heart (and again smiling the entire time!) was pure joy.  Bruce relates to his fans, and has many great songs (which for me, does not include Born in the USA  :P).

This makes me wanna see two things.

1) MK crowd-surfing
2) Richard lasting four hours on stage without wine, beer and/or sushi.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 10:28:37 PM »
This makes me wanna see two things.

1) MK crowd-surfing
2) Richard lasting four hours on stage without wine, beer and/or sushi.
1)  :lol :lol :lol
2)  ;)
If you ain’t got whiskey

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 01:15:15 AM »
Really really enjoyed seeing Bruce here about two years ago now! Sensational performances of classics like Ashbury/Sandy and Rosalita. I must say I love the Wild & Innocent album.
Whenever I need a live fix of Bruce at his best I just throw on disc 3 of the Live75-85 set, hear him talking onstage about Vietnam, his Dad, his hair and then one of the most passionate versions of The River you`ll ever hear...
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 01:10:19 PM »

That's exactly what I saw when he came to Brazil a couple of years ago. Fantastic!
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 08:35:01 PM »
In terms in setlist variation, song requests and fans interaction there is no competition. Springsteen keeps on impressing me with these things when MK trails way way way way waaaaaaaaayyyyyy behind here. MK is a top shelf musician but not an artist. If he had half of the same charisma and humbleness towards the fans as Springsteen does, he would be the one selling out grand arenas and getting all the attention.

But even during the OES tour MK had the aura of a cacti plant. They are just different, but the grumpyness that MK sometimes have towards the fans is annoying. Giving something back in terms of soft values isn't tedious and is virtually cost free.

true!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.