Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Gilmour 2015 Album and Tour - SPOILER  (Read 50597 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Gilmour 2015 Album and Tour - SPOILER
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:52 AM »
orange is out
http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?35943-David-gilmour-au-theatre-antique-d-orange-(france)-2015-09-17
sounds good...

I thought you were talking about dvd  :(

The RAH recordings are surfacing in audio!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »
When asked about it, Roger Waters says he left PF in 1985, and that´s all.

David says that without Rick there is not PF.

So, it looks very clear.

I´m not sure if David and Roger would do a tour together as themselfs, they are on speaking terms right now, and they had played together but, a tour maybe would be too much.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2015, 12:47:49 PM »
When asked about it, Roger Waters says he left PF in 1985, and that´s all.

David says that without Rick there is not PF.

So, it looks very clear.

I´m not sure if David and Roger would do a tour together as themselfs, they are on speaking terms right now, and they had played together but, a tour maybe would be too much.
Between 2005 (Live 8) and 2008 (Rick's death) there was still hope. I'm talking about this:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/may/04/pink-floyd-reunion-thwarted

And especially this sentence: "David is completely uninterested," Waters told the Associated Press. "After [Pink Floyd's reunion at] Live 8, I could have probably gone for doing some more stuff, but he's not interested."

Roger would have done it. David did not want to. Rick's death made everybody agree: Without Rick it is pointless.
Sometimes you should not wait...
The so-called egomaniac Roger was ready to put everything behind. He has his temper but I believe he is humanly a great guy, very true and honest, and he got better with age.
Anyway, I'm not starting the Rog vs. Dave debate again, I love them both, they are both great persons and great artists in very different ways - the combination of their skills was Pink Floyd...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Dave probably remembers how much he had had to fight against Roger to defend his musical ideas inside Pink Floyd for not wanting to throw himself back in into that position. Now he's THE boss.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2015, 01:31:23 PM »
I think a great opportunity was missed with the endless river.
Imagine if David had the humility to call Roger in for a concept and lyrics.
Instead of a nice instrumental album, we would have had a masterpiece, another wywh, not about Syd but about Rick - and featuring his music post mortem. All four of them, as pink Floyd reunited, as an homage to Rick.
Oh well...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2015, 01:41:25 PM »
Instead of a nice instrumental album, we would have had a masterpiece, another wywh, not about Syd but about Rick - and featuring his music post mortem. All four of them, as pink Floyd reunited, as an homage to Rick.
Oh well...

That songs were recorded during the Division Bell sessions, if they wanted to be trustful to that spirit, Roger can't fit there as he is known for taken control and re-shape everything to his own vision.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Oh well...

That songs were recorded during the Division Bell sessions, if they wanted to be trustful to that spirit, Roger can't fit there as he is known for taken control and re-shape everything to his own vision.
I think even David acknowledged that it was a bit more complex than that. Roger filled a vaccum - David had not written a song in 5 years during the final cut sessions. David should have come with an alternative concept if he did not want to take Roger's... David really struggled to find concept and lyrics for AMLOR and even DB. He is a master guitarist, a great melody composer, a wonderful singer, but no concept creator nor lyricist . Roger is exactly the opposite: an average bass player, a decent composer, a pretty bad singer - but a great concept maker and lyricist. That's why they were so great together.

OfflineRohrmuller

• Guitar George
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
I got the album last week and while I didn't find it all that great first time around I've kept coming back to it several times over the past week and I've really come to like it (I keep coming back to Faces of Stone, for instance), even though I still feel it's not really "complete". Certain tracks feel very out of place; some in regards to track-position (Rattle That Lock feels wrong after 5 A.M. Swap around or add an additional track in between to bridge them) and some I don't think should be on there at all (The Girl in the Yellow Dress -it's an okay track, but it doesn't fit in with the rest).
I caught a familiarity in "Today" which led my thoughts to Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 with a couple of chords repeating over and over in the background. Musically In Any Tongue made me think of Reaching For the Rail from Rick Wright's Broken China. They're not very similar, but it still made me make the connection.

I wish I could've attended any of the concerts around Europe, but alas... Perhaps some day... Although not very likely...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »
Check this out  before it gets blocked

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2015, 03:51:52 PM »
What is really incredible is David's voice. he is basically 70 and his voice is almost perfect, incredible.

I can't judge myself because I didn't attend any gig and I did'nt see any YT videos , but Bjon is rather more critical about David's voice :

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=6953

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
This won't get deleted  8) 8)

Neither that one :

Thank you for letting us know.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »
What is really incredible is David's voice. he is basically 70 and his voice is almost perfect, incredible.

I can't judge myself because I didn't attend any gig and I did'nt see any YT videos , but Bjon is rather more critical about David's voice :

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=6953

''He’s still got the voice and does most of the songs very well. However, there are lots of moments when I cringe and hope he’ll be able to last through the show.''

I never got the impression that he coudln't be able to finish the song or the concert, never, at 70 I don't think it's possible to sing better than how he did

all the concerts are available at yeeshkul, you can judge yourself

what struck me on Bjorn's review are sentences like :

"his voice doesn’t quite hold up, especially on the higher notes, and there are also moments where he’s way out of pitch, which is something I’ve never heard from him before. "

or

"His singing was a bit off all three nights. He clearly struggled on the chorus sections and was out of pitch at times. "

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:52 PM »
I never considered David being a strong singer and Pink Floyd vocalists were not great in that department, especially live (often out pitch).

I don't hear much difference in 2015 compared to 2006 otherwise that he's ten years older and you can't avoid some degradation.

From the trio MK-EC-DG, the later is the one that is ageing best, but I still stand that the first 2015 EC show I attended remains by far my favourite concert this year (and certainly was the one I feared the most).

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2015, 10:00:19 PM »
I never considered David being a strong singer and Pink Floyd vocalists were not great in that department, especially live (often out pitch).

maybe you are right live, but in studio I find David a great singer.
He can sing classic pop (echoes, us and them...) etheral voices (breathe, fat old sun, green is the color...) heavy rock (the nile song, young lust...) soul-rock (money, time...)
he is singing great harmonies on songs like Breathe, Shine on...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2015, 11:13:53 PM »

maybe you are right live, but in studio I find David a great singer.
He can sing classic pop (echoes, us and them...) etheral voices (breathe, fat old sun, green is the color...) heavy rock (the nile song, young lust...) soul-rock (money, time...)
he is singing great harmonies on songs like Breathe, Shine on...
I find his voice absolutely amazing. It aged so well... gosh, when I hear poor Roger (whom I love too, no question) in comparison...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 38 queries.