Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Brothers In Band, the DS tribute band WILL TOUR GERMANY NEXT YEAR  (Read 10553 times)

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
Re: Brothers In Band, the DS tribute band WILL TOUR GERMANY NEXT YEAR
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 12:54:21 AM »
Oscar Rosende, their singer and guitarist, plays the guitar as good as the Mk from 1992 and he's very professional about his singing, taking English lessons to improve his pronunciation to perfection!

He is good, thumbs up for that, but let´s keep a sense of proportion. MK92 consider some people arguably among the world best guitarists. Also we should not forget that MK invented such a unique style that in the end only he can produce to perfection (until today, because thats not so much about speed, but about his fingers, soul, tone...). Also phrasing is of course a huge part and one major strength of MK playing, which is no issue for someone covering because they almost exclusively use all phrases already played/invented by MK.

That's what a tribute band do, don't they?

Indeed, thats why I just wanted to put a little bit into perspective the statement on Oscar Rosende plays same level as MK92, or MK whatever year. (I´d also doubt he would say that about himself). 

Generally, I still just don´t get it, being a musician myself, how such talented guys "waste" nearly all their musical life in trying to copy someone else rather than putting all their efforts and creativity to create own stuff.

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
Oscar Rosende, their singer and guitarist, plays the guitar as good as the Mk from 1992 and he's very professional about his singing, taking English lessons to improve his pronunciation to perfection!

He is good, thumbs up for that, but let´s keep a sense of proportion. MK92 consider some people arguably among the world best guitarists. Also we should not forget that MK invented such a unique style that in the end only he can produce to perfection (until today, because thats not so much about speed, but about his fingers, soul, tone...). Also phrasing is of course a huge part and one major strength of MK playing, which is no issue for someone covering because they almost exclusively use all phrases already played/invented by MK.

Indeed, thats why I just wanted to put a little bit into perspective the statement on Oscar Rosende plays same level as MK92, or MK whatever year. (I´d also doubt he would say that about himself). 

Generally, I still just don´t get it, being a musician myself, how such talented guys "waste" nearly all their musical life in trying to copy someone else rather than putting all their efforts and creativity to create own stuff.

Well as "MK" in a trib band myself I'll answer that.

It's extraordinarily difficult to make it as an original artist. Mark was lucky in that a well connected dj picked him up, but despite his extraordinary talent he could just as easily have faded into nothing.

I've known plenty of bands who I thought were amazing who never made it because they never had that lucky break. The music business is a jungle.

I was in originals band who worked with Portishead and had a minor hit in France - we may not have be n good enough or we may not have been lucky, either way it didn't work out.

So I'm left with two options, give it all up and be in a shitty pub band for a hobby or play really high quality music in theatres as a tribute band - the only real option for live unsigned musicians.

I chose the latter, I have a ball, the audience enjoy it and I make some money.

It's nothing to do with artistic integrity and everything to do with economics of music these days. Personally, I think my own guitar playing is shit hot, but I can't make money with that. So I play like someone else to make money 😉
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:43:47 AM by jakehadlee »

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 07:51:14 AM »

It's extraordinarily difficult to make it as an original artist. Mark was lucky in that a well connected dj picked him up, but despite his extraordinary talent he could just as easily have faded into nothing.

I've known plenty of bands who I thought were amazing who never made it because they never had that lucky break. The music business is a jungle.

I was in originals band who worked with Portishead and had a minor hit in France - we may not have be n good enough or we may not have been lucky, either way it didn't work out.

So I'm left with two options, give it all up and be in a shitty pub band for a hobby or play really high quality music in theatres as a tribute band - the only real option for live unsigned musicians.

It's nothing to do with artistic integrity and everything to do with economics of music these days. Personally, I think my own guitar playing is shit hot, but I can't make money with that. So I play like someone else to make money 😉

Ok, got it. Still I´d find the first option you mention more interesting in musical terms, there are some pretty good guys out there playing in shitty pubs their own stuff.

surferboy

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
I'm with junkiedoll on this.
I don't get it why so many tribute bands try to imitate and copy MK's songs, body language, facial expressions, singing modulations etc. etc. It is always more or less a rather cheap caricature of the originial.
It is with pitty that I think: why don't they try to be themselves, play and sing and express their own individuality?
MK's term "poor souls" is very adequate in my mind.
That said I admit to imitate MK as well... under the shower or after a beer too much.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 12:52:05 PM by surferboy »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »
I also think that most of the time, "shitty pub bands" are far more interesting to listen to than tribute bands
If I want to listen to my fav bands I don't listen to tribute, I listen to bootlegs recordings

That said, I admire musicians who managed to play perfectly like other artists. I don't have this skill. I'm sure it's a lot of work. But it doesn't "thrill" me

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »

Ok, got it. Still I´d find the first option you mention more interesting in musical terms, there are some pretty good guys out there playing in shitty pubs their own stuff.

You can do both.

Offlinejakehadlee

• Local Hero
    • Dire Streets
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »
I'm with junkiedoll on this.
I don't get it why so many tribute bands try to imitate and copy MK's songs, body language, facial expressions, singing modulations etc. etc. It is always more or less a rather cheap caricature of the originial.
It it with pitty that I think: why don't they try to be themselves, play and sing and express their own individuality?
MK's term "poor souls" is very adequate in my mind.
That said I admit to imitate MK as well... under the shower or after a beer too much.

Well if you're in a tribute band you do have imitate and copy songs! Facial expressions is maybe taking it too far I agree.

I think non-musicians or hobbyists get a bit confused sometimes about what music is. Sure it's great to express yourself and be original, but unless you are very lucky you can't support yourself doing that. It's a bit of a fantasy really, like winning the lottery.

Most of the time musicians, including some of the best in the world, are playing other people's music for a living. Often they don't even like that music. It's a job.

If you can do that job, but also pick the songs you want to play, then it's a good job.

That's what a tribute band is. Professional entertainers doing a job for which there is demand. I don't want to be MK - for starters I'm far prettier than him ;-) - and I'm not play acting. I'm a musician doing a job.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 11:46:47 AM »
Pretty good but nothing spectacular sincerely

Better than the versions Mark plays lately.  Here's an example:

;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
Pretty good but nothing spectacular sincerely

Better than the versions Mark plays lately.  Here's an example:

;)

?

i.e. none.  He doesn't play it any more.  :)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
A good tribute band does this things. There is a genesis tribute band that wear the same customs and they paint their faces like Genesis used to do. That's paying attention to details in what you do.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »
A good tribute band does this things. There is a genesis tribute band that wear the same customs and they paint their faces like Genesis used to do. That's paying attention to details in what you do.

if you're talking about "the musical box" I remember reading they even reproduce some wrong notes played by Genesis at particular shows !

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »
Yes! Not only that but also the customs they wear are the originals that Genesis used live, they let them used that customs.

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2016, 11:03:26 PM »
Guy Fletcher defends the spectacle they play as an experience, and blame those who critizise them through yt vídeos. This is the same, they are offering an experience, and you really enjoy the experience. They have evolved to get the sound, which is near to the original, and when is finished you go out with a smile in your face and soul.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
One thing is for sure, - if he aims to imitate Mark's manner, he must learn to control his body.  :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
They are currently playing in Germany.

Óscar is writing a diary, this is today entry: https://oscarrosende.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/dresden-14-abril-alter-schlachthof/

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 40 queries.