Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DVD? Finally?  (Read 13706 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: DVD? Finally?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »
I think that Mark's guitar playing suits the songs he writes these days perfectly.    :)

If you go that way, then he could do even better : still write new songs and make them record and perform by someone else which has the ability to do it properly...

Who do you have in mind who can do it "properly"?    ;)

I have absolutely nobody known in mind.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »
I think that Mark's guitar playing suits the songs he writes these days perfectly.    :)

If you go that way, then he could do even better : still write new songs and make them record and perform by someone else which has the ability to do it properly...

Pretty absurd. Amazing how one could think that anybody else than MK could perform MK songs better then MK himself. As if any painter could have painted a picture of van Gogh just given some kind of manual or instructions by the master, nonsense.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 09:20:54 PM »

I think so too! That's why I'm hoping for a DVD, I like this encarnation just as much as all the other ones. I can't let that cloud my judgement though. When you listen to old live stuff it's pretty obvious that Mark's playing was much more fluid, instinctive and clever. He always found a way out, his licks were much better connected and his fingers went to places that are not on his guitar fret anymore. Again, it's not worse, it's just different. Some people prefer the old Mark, some the current Mark. I like all Marks.

I agree with just about everything you've said ed_raposo.  You pretty much nailed it.  I also feel that his playing used to be much more fluid, instinctive and clever (if I may quote you)!  I think that may come from lack of practice?  He also has lost some accuracy and I'm finding myself at times listening and hoping he'll not hit notes too much or too little...or not at all! :lol

I think it's a combination of factors: lack of practice, ageing, lack of passion... I don't know, it just looks like he doesn't think the guitar is that important anymore and plays solos just because he has to. SOS and BIA and the best examples in my opinion.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »

Pretty absurd. Amazing how one could think that anybody else than MK could perform MK songs better then MK himself. As if any painter could have painted a picture of van Gogh just given some kind of manual or instructions by the master, nonsense.

1) Van Gogh did not live long enough to reach its 60's
2) Mark Knopfler's playing ability are going lower and that is a fact.
3) Absurd is to think that it can't be done better  ;)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:31:37 PM by ds1984 »

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 09:46:58 PM »

1) Van Gogh did not live long enough to reach its 60's
2) Mark Knopfler's playing ability are going lower and that is a fact.
3) Absurd is to think that it can't be done better  ;)

You should not distort my words. I did not say that "it can´t be done better", I said that anybody else could not do MK songs better than MK himself. If you think that someone else performs MK songs better than MK himself, thats ok, its your view. For me its absurd, amazingly absurd (bye the way, your unrelated video example which I could assume that you want to show an example of somebody else doing an original song better than the original performer for me just confirms my view rather than to disprove it)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 09:54:22 PM »
I said that anybody else could not do MK songs better than MK himself.

I believe this is just a matter of centuries before someone prove you wrong.

(and I admit I am an absurd person)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:57:40 PM by ds1984 »

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 10:09:04 PM »

lol, ok, I´ve no problem with absurd persons because everybody of us is absurd from a certain point of view; Anyhow, for me the proof is excluded, its like a physical law, as there is nothing that can be faster than speed of light, nobody else can copy and incorporate MKs brain into his own...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 10:50:19 PM »

lol, ok, I´ve no problem with absurd persons because everybody of us is absurd from a certain point of view; Anyhow, for me the proof is excluded, its like a physical law, as there is nothing that can be faster than speed of light, nobody else can copy and incorporate MKs brain into his own...

Right there is nothing that can be faster than speed of light...until now.

Look back at scientist that said "there is nothing smaller that this or faster than that" and one day one of them do an absurd statement. Absurd until someone else prove him right.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »

Look back at scientist that said "there is nothing smaller that this or faster than that" and one day one of them do an absurd statement. Absurd until someone else prove him right.

There will never ever be another guitarist like MK. And I hold that opinion due to the fact that the times are totally different. I could write a whole essay about this but the key points are:

- Nothing to strive for, much is given to most people.
- TV and radio are jurassic medias. Heard a song today? Shazam it and listen to it in a matter of seconds. Heard a song in the 50's or 60's? Wait a whole day by the radio just to hear it being played - the next day.
- Patience and persistence, now and then? Anybody heard Keith Richards' story about how he as a kid so badly wanted to be a guitarist? And his grandpa had a guitar hanging too high on the wall, but it was only when he was able to reach it that he could start to play it.
- Kids rarely grow up listening to blues, jazz or country. And if they do they are considered as outcasts among their peers.
- You can't ignore the fact that the MK style of playing is heavily influenced by the mentioned genres. Take away these influences, what other kind of guitarists do you see?
- Kids that pick up the guitar are more likely to listen to "classic rock"; Red Hot Chili peppers, U2, Nirvana, Metallica and on and on. Not the classic rock that emerged from the 50s-70s that benchmarked that whole category.
- Also, kids (well most of them) these days grow up wanting to be as famous, not as good, as an idol. I think I read in some interviews that MK considers fame as the inevitable thing that follows when you exceed in something. Kids wanna skip ahead to be famous right away, but don't have the patience to be good at something.
-  Lastly, the increase of electronic music will have to end before a nostalgic period kicks in and kids discover that instruments are actual things made of wood and metal.

And should there be another guitarist as good as MK, chances are that the music being performed isn't something that'll fit our ears. So the comparison will be lost either way.

So my opinion is clear. NO, there will never ever be another MK.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:53:19 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 12:34:11 PM »
IMHO John Mayer is a guitar genius but he's the only one that has shown up over the last 20 years or so - and actually made it to the charts. He's heavily influenced by blues and proper classic rock. He's said very sweet things about Mark too and has played MFN in his gigs a couple of times, mostly with Keith Urban, another huge fan of Mark's. There's still hope lol

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »

There will never ever be another guitarist like MK. And I hold that opinion due to the fact that the times are totally different. I could write a whole essay about this but the key points are:

- Nothing to strive for, much is given to most people.
- TV and radio are jurassic medias. Heard a song today? Shazam it and listen to it in a matter of seconds. Heard a song in the 50's or 60's? Wait a whole day by the radio just to hear it being played - the next day.
- Patience and persistence, now and then? Anybody heard Keith Richards' story about how he as a kid so badly wanted to be a guitarist? And his grandpa had a guitar hanging too high on the wall, but it was only when he was able to reach it that he could start to play it.
- Kids rarely grow up listening to blues, jazz or country. And if they do they are considered as outcasts among their peers.
- You can't ignore the fact that the MK style of playing is heavily influenced by the mentioned genres. Take away these influences, what other kind of guitarists do you see?
- Kids that pick up the guitar are more likely to listen to "classic rock"; Red Hot Chili peppers, U2, Nirvana, Metallica and on and on. Not the classic rock that emerged from the 50s-70s that benchmarked that whole category.
- Also, kids (well most of them) these days grow up wanting to be as famous, not as good, as an idol. I think I read in some interviews that MK considers fame as the inevitable thing that follows when you exceed in something. Kids wanna skip ahead to be famous right away, but don't have the patience to be good at something.
-  Lastly, the increase of electronic music will have to end before a nostalgic period kicks in and kids discover that instruments are actual things made of wood and metal.

And should there be another guitarist as good as MK, chances are that the music being performed isn't something that'll fit our ears. So the comparison will be lost either way.

So my opinion is clear. NO, there will never ever be another MK.

Kids are numerous.

There are still new guitar jazz player, blues player, classical player, rock player, heavy metal player, fusion player, and so on. Kids, "as a whole", plays and listen to everything. And with internet they have now a far better musical knowledge than those of the pre internet  age because they can access to everything. This is called "diversity".

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »
IMHO John Mayer is a guitar genius but he's the only one that has shown up over the last 20 years or so - and actually made it to the charts. He's heavily influenced by blues and proper classic rock. He's said very sweet things about Mark too and has played MFN in his gigs a couple of times, mostly with Keith Urban, another huge fan of Mark's. There's still hope lol

Well, Mayer is 38. Not quite the teenager. :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »

Well, Mayer is 38. Not quite the teenager. :)

I didn't say he was, I meant that if JM chose his influences well a these days' teen can do so too.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »
It looks like they are taking seriously the Henrik Hansen DVD, but I wonder what they are going to do with the final product...

As it's a documentary mixing live takes with interviews etc, would it fit a proper release or would fit better as a bonus thing?

And, as it's attached to Tracker, would it fit as a bonus of what? A special edition of Tracker? It would be weird to have it in next cd bonus...

What do you think about this future release?

Do you think that there is a chance it makes company to the Madrid 2011, Shepherd Bush 2002 and BBC 2013 video recordings?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2015, 11:41:24 AM »
It looks like they are taking seriously the Henrik Hansen DVD, but I wonder what they are going to do with the final product...

As it's a documentary mixing live takes with interviews etc, would it fit a proper release or would fit better as a bonus thing?

And, as it's attached to Tracker, would it fit as a bonus of what? A special edition of Tracker? It would be weird to have it in next cd bonus...

What do you think about this future release?

Do you think that there is a chance it makes company to the Madrid 2011, Shepherd Bush 2002 and BBC 2013 video recordings?

All good questions.

I'm thinking, the Hansen invoice won't come cheap. Making audio recordings are now made on every concert. Filming at the BBC is probably paid for by the network. But bringing in a well renowned filmer like Hansen must be a total waste of money if it gets binned.

I say it's a coin toss between a standalone release and something that will be in the 2017 box set :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 38 queries.