Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guitar tuning of Cal soundtrack  (Read 2608 times)

OfflineH97

• Camerado
Guitar tuning of Cal soundtrack
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »
Hi all,

If I play along with the Cal soundtrack, I notice something strange. I can perfectly play along with tracks like Father & Son and Potato Picking for example, but during the Long Road something strange happens: the easy melody (B A D B) doesn't sound at all like the recording! My guitar is tuned perfectly and given the fact that it is a Fender Classic 50s Stratocaster I don't think I will get out of tune when I touch it. Did MK tune his guitar a half (or quarter?) step up or down when recording The Long Road? It's impossible playing along with a track that's got a different tuning.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: Guitar tuning of Cal soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
Hi Hugo, just listened to it (first time in a while), its in the key of G but tuned down about half a semi tone from concert pitch. 

Drop your strings by that half a semitone and you should be able to play along fine!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
I noticed that too but was wondering if it could have been due to tape speed variation ?
Maybe the speed for the final mix was different from the speed used during the recording ?
if it is the case, it would mean that it was played a little bit faster thatn what we actually hear

same happened for In the gallery, but the other way around (played slowler as heard on the final mix):
http://www.mk-guitar.com/2009/06/30/which-key-is-in-the-gallery-on-the-first-dire-straits-cd-am-or-bbm/

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »
Thanks for helping me out 2manyguitars, think I'll just tune up The Long Road to play with, I prefer the sound of a 'well tuned' B A D B over a dropped B A D B.
And JF, that could very well be! I don't think they dropped all the instruments used for the recording and detuning the recording afterwards would be pointless. Only thing I find strange is that it might have been recorded faster and they made a mistake when putting it on record, or that they didn't take the time to re-record it if they didn't like the sound  :think

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:56 AM »
Only thing I find strange is that it might have been recorded faster and they made a mistake when putting it on record, or that they didn't take the time to re-record it if they didn't like the sound  :think

maybe they liked the take, but found it too fast and wanted slow it a bit, but as the tune is a bit long (around 7' if memory serves) they were too lazy to record it again ?
or maybe they loved the take so much that they thought they couldn't play it again at the same level ? so they decided to do this way .... :think

of course, like many other facts, we will never know for sure... :-\

OfflineH97

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:46:18 PM »
Asked Guy about it, hope he will put time in a question not about the setlist or apologizing  ;D

OfflineAr (aka Enlight)

• Lady writer
  • WHAT IT IS.........
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
Asked Guy about it, hope he will put time in a question not about the setlist or apologizing  ;D

if he can re-cal   ;D

But it is indeed not usual for a band to play and record in a so called bb key , so i guess its done afterwards .
I hope Guy can explain the reason why
Leaving nothing to interfere,
With the crazy balance of your mind.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »

if he can re-cal   ;D

But it is indeed not usual for a band to play and record in a so called bb key , so i guess its done afterwards .
I hope Guy can explain the reason why

Guy:
Wow, you know I'm not sure why that is at all. I don't recall any tuning issues at all. Strange.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »

if he can re-cal   ;D

LOL  :wave
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.