Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Transatlantic Sessions  (Read 16924 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Transatlantic Sessions
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
I have just been watching Transatlantic Sessions on BBC iPlayer and John McCusker, Mike McGoldrick and Phil Cunningham were playing in the band, along with Aly Bain and many others. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Transatlantic Sessions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 10:47:38 AM »
I always wanted to attend one of those concerts they play in february every year, so I just bought tickets for the show in Bath.

Paul Brady and Dirk Powell betwen the main artists, and McCusker, McGoldrick, Phil Cunnigham and the wonderfuls Jerry Douglas and Aly Bain, the hearts of the project, in the band!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 09:32:18 AM »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »
I always wanted to attend one of those concerts they play in february every year, so I just bought tickets for the show in Bath.

Paul Brady and Dirk Powell betwen the main artists, and McCusker, McGoldrick, Phil Cunnigham and the wonderfuls Jerry Douglas and Aly Bain, the hearts of the project, in the band!

I'm sure you will enjoy it, jbaent.  We have booked for The Sage at Gateshead on 9th February.   I'm looking forward to seeing Paul Brady this time, plus all the others, of course!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 10:43:11 AM »

I'm sure you will enjoy it, jbaent.  We have booked for The Sage at Gateshead on 9th February.   I'm looking forward to seeing Paul Brady this time, plus all the others, of course!

I always wanted to see Paul Brady and Jerry Douglas!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 07:21:03 PM »
I wanted to see it the year that Tommy Emmanuel toured with them.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 07:33:17 PM »

I was there in Gateshead.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 10:48:09 AM »

Very nice...I would dearly love to see MK play as part of these sessions - it would be awesome!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 10:11:55 AM »

Enjoy, jbaent!    We will be in Gateshead on Wednesday.    :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 10:29:33 AM »

I will looking forward anything you can tell me about it! How long they play, how they do it (singers coming in and out, all together), if there is a programme to buy, anything, I don't mind about spoilers!!!

So excited!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 10:59:23 AM »

I will looking forward anything you can tell me about it! How long they play, how they do it (singers coming in and out, all together), if there is a programme to buy, anything, I don't mind about spoilers!!!

So excited!

Most, if not all, of the musicians are on stage at the same time.  There is usually a small lounge area at the back of the stage where the guest artists sit waiting for their spot, enjoying a drink or two!   They usually play for about two hours with a break in the middle  There hasn't been a programme so far.   I really love these shows and they have introduced me to so many musicians that I wouldn't have known before.    I hope you have a good time!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 12:03:31 PM »

So excited!

Most, if not all, of the musicians are on stage at the same time.  There is usually a small lounge area at the back of the stage where the guest artists sit waiting for their spot, enjoying a drink or two!   They usually play for about two hours with a break in the middle  There hasn't been a programme so far.   I really love these shows and they have introduced me to so many musicians that I wouldn't have known before.    I hope you have a good time!    :)

I always loved Paul Brady and Jerry Douglas, so I'm very very excited to see these two in particular!

Also the MK folkies, Phil Cunningham, Aly Bain, and Donnald Shaw who also has played in MK records are highlights, but Paul Brady and Jerry Douglas alone make it worth!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »

So excited!

I always loved Paul Brady and Jerry Douglas, so I'm very very excited to see these two in particular!

Also the MK folkies, Phil Cunningham, Aly Bain, and Donnald Shaw who also has played in MK records are highlights, but Paul Brady and Jerry Douglas alone make it worth!

I was a fan of the folk group, The Johnstons, back in the 60s when Paul Brady was a member, along with Adrienne and Lucy Johnston and Mick Moloney.   I really liked Paul Brady's singing voice and it's good that he is still performing, as is Mick Maloney.   The Johnstons were a terrific band and I have a few of their albums.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 12:47:07 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 01:02:28 PM »
I was a fan of the folk group, The Johnstons, back in the 60s when Paul Brady was a member, along with Adrienne and Lucy Johnston and Mick Moloney.   I really liked Paul Brady's singing voice and it's good that he is still performing, as is Mick Maloney.   The Johnstons were a terrific band and I have a few of their albums.

Hello Val, how was the show?

I saw yesterday a small video of 5 minutes with short scenes of various parts of the concert in Manchester, on youtube, so great! looking forward to my show!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 06:03:26 PM »

Hello Val, how was the show?

I saw yesterday a small video of 5 minutes with short scenes of various parts of the concert in Manchester, on youtube, so great! looking forward to my show!

Hi jbaent.   We have now arrived home after a very enjoyable couple of days in Newcastle.

We both enjoyed the show very much, but Aly Bain was missing from the band.  Unfortunately he became ill on Tuesday and has had to rest at home.   We weren't told what is wrong with him.   It is always good to see Aly, but the rest of the band managed fine, especially John McC who is the only other fiddle player.

There were lots of highlights, especially Dirk Powell who sang songs relating to his grandfather, including Waterbound, which was especially good.    After the interval there was a very unusual song with Sarah Jarosz accompanied by Jerry Douglas, which I enjoyed very much - a kind of non-singing song, which you will know what I mean when you hear it.

John Doyle joined John and Mike with Donald Shaw on piano and sang a great version of False Lady in his own inimitable way and his sense of humour had everyone laughing.   I have heard him sing this with John and Mike a few times before and it always goes down well, especially his description of the song!

We both enjoyed Paul Brady's performance and he sang a few quite modern songs which he had written and another traditional song which I hadn't heard before.   Even though he is 73 he is still pretty energetic - I think I first heard him with the Johnstones when he was still in his teens.

There was a lot of banter to and fro between Phil Cunningham and Jerry Douglas, which I hope you will appreciate.

Another artist who impressed me was Leyla McCalla, who is of Haitian descent and she played some songs accompanied with her cello.  She usually plays with a banjo, but, unfortunately, it was damaged beyond repair en route from the USA.   I liked her voice very much.

As usual there were loads of jigs and reels which John & Mike & John Doyle do brilliantly, also with the whole band.

This morning we decided to visit Whitley Bay, Cullercoats and Tynemouth.   It was bitterly cold with a gale-force wind, but the sky was a brilliant blue.   We took some pictures of Spanish City and had a coffee inside at a place called "Valerie's Tearoom" which I thought was apt!  We also took a look at the Tunnel of Love lyrics in the paving!  We then moved down the coast a mile or two to Cullercoats and it was extremely pretty with a beautiful sandy beach. I hope it is warmer in summer!   ;)

Anyway, jbaent I hope you enjoy the show as much as we did!   :wave

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:08:57 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.