Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Storage of my collection  (Read 42768 times)

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
Re: Storage of my collection
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 09:27:06 PM »
My god. You lot have just made me feel VERY un -organised ??? :-[ :-\ :-\
Mine are all together, some on disc, some on my hard drive, but none are backed up. :-[
I did have them in date order at one time, but they seem to find themselves out of order.
I've seriously got to sort myself out.
I presume that the best thing to do would be to transfer ALL of my discs back on to say an external hard drive.?
I seem to use the same old excuse that i don't have the time, but i know it's a cop out.
My collection, though nowhere near as big as most, is still pretty big, and extrmely important to me. If anything happened to anything, i'd be devestated.
Hey, Marie, Val or Pottel. Fancy coming to stay with me for a week, and getting my collection in order.?
I'll pay. ;) :-*

Cheers   BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 02:46:38 AM »
Sounds fantastic!  Another party? ;D ;D
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflineFieneke2

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 02:27:42 PM »
I didn't downloaded so much yet, I think I have about 24 GB in my share section in the MKhub, but I also don't have much time to watch! Lucky many people shared CD's/DVD's with me in the past and of course I copied those for others too and helped seeding! Now with the new KTCG show, I download the show of Waldo, a few audio ones and  I am waiting for DVD's / CD's with the best performances, songs etc..........I mean the list Rygman and Pottel are working on and would love to download that one and share/copy for others who can't download! ;)

I have some CD's with "flac" things I can't play on my DVD or the CD in the car, so I keep them for the computer. I also read about lossless and lossy etc but don't know what it all means!!  Sometimes I feel like a dummy when I hear you all talking about these technical things!  ;D Whenever there is time in future, I hope Maarten or somebody else can explain these things to me in Dutch and give instructions on MSN!  ;)

Well there is one good thing I do and that is making copies every month of ALL the information I have at my computer. Besides those copies, I also make now and then extra copies and keep them at the office in case there will be fire or something else at my house!

Now my son is ready with his study, I hope in future to be able to buy a new computer with enough space and extra drives and especial a quick one! I have an very old computer ........uuuhhh want to laugh? It is an AMD Athlon 800!  :o Although we have a very fast internet connection, it is always very slow with down- uploading! In the computer are 2 very old HD with space of 10 GB each and I bought after I talked with Pottel almost 2 years ago an extra drive of 250 GB!............ Well I am patient and we will see what happens in future!

Ooohhh btw Nigel, I would love to meet you and your family again and you know what? You don't have to pay for my help!  ;D

Fieneke
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:30:49 PM by Fieneke2 »
If you are good to other people, most of them are good to you too!

am012513

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
Are here some people that uses bleu ray already?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »
No, I guess I'll get round to it when prices come down, but to be honest I think optical media will become largely obsolete over the next ten years or so.

Also, we will be driving rocket cars. You just wait and see!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
No, I guess I'll get round to it when prices come down, but to be honest I think optical media will become largely obsolete over the next ten years or so.

Also, we will be driving rocket cars. You just wait and see!

Yeah I think the future for SSD (solid state discs) looks brighter in terms of storage compared to Blu-Ray.  But SSD is just way too expensive at the moment, especially when 1Tb hard drives are now so affordable.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 11:50:53 AM »
1TB now goes for 99
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »
As an IT guy I prefer external harddrives for storage versus the CDR/DVD.

Positive side:
* more space
* faster to copy to/from
* can easily be re-used for other purposes
* some products can do much more than just storage.

Negative side:
*more expensive

My latest storage purchase, 6 months ago was a Synology DS 107+   external kabinet with a seperate disk (as always a Seagate Barracuda) which simply blew me away....
And as a very experienced IT person for 14 years, I must be honest that I am not that easy to say "Woohooo"  to whatever product that comes along. But this one is a 9/10 product. It is very, very good.
Besides storage it also privides you with Download server, ftp server, printserver, photo station, Ipod, LAN/Internet etc etc.

I had only one regret after these months of using and enabling many of the features, and that is that I should have bought
its bigger brother DS207+ which can handle 2 disks and RAID....  ;D

Reviews:
http://techgage.com/article/synology_ds107e_single-drive_nas/

http://reviews.cnet.com/external-hard-drives/synology-disk-station-ds/4505-3190_7-32987447.html

http://www.testseek.co.uk/computers/harddrives/nas/Synology_Disk_Station_DS107-p-FE904E60-E773-76C5-A953-D2AD12676FA8.html

Cheers peter

Cheers Peter

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »
i store on dvd just as an extra backup. all is on HD.
got 1 2TB Western Dig.
2 500GB WEstern D
1 1TB same co.
1 300GB Seagate
1 250GB lacie
1 1TB Bufallo
and 2 1TB Western Digital which are now back at their homeplace to be replaced.
but today i got my new HP Pavillion HDX9480, 20 inch, blue ray drive, 640GB HD (5400rpm) 2,4GHz etc....aaaahhh a new baby to play with. my first contact with Vista........should i be scared??

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »
he he
Well there are as many opinions about WinXP / Vista as there are people using them. I can only say that personally I stick with my WinXP - patched with SP3. From a technical point of view this is one hell of a stable OS that Microsoft made here.

Vista - hhmm.... if you like it, keep it. But from what I have heard, seen, touced, - Vista is not very sensitive, but quite sensitive still. If you have the correct drivers and software for Vista you should be fine. People who dont, should clearly stick with WinXP.
The IT team that I am in, we support and help IT managers on a global scale on our hotels, and none of them are allowed to use Vista (company standards)....  but besides that there is some relevans in Vistas weaknesses regarding patches and stuff..
compability with other systems... is still a issue.

Again, if you like it, its fine. But not ten wild horses will let me slip WinXP for Vista ;-)
Maybe the new OS that Microsoft comes with next year, is a done deal, when that new version is patched with SP1.
As a general rule, never change a OS if not a SP1 s ready for that system.
No matter if your a corporate user or private....   no reason that a private person should attend all the "bug-finding" / "trouble shooting"..
thats my 10 cents  ;)
Cheers Peter

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:57:10 PM by peterromer »
Cheers Peter

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
Would it be dangerous if I mention Mac OS X?  :P

Actually I'm at the moment posting on Windows XP, but give me a Mac any day!!

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »
As an IT guy I prefer external harddrives for storage versus the CDR/DVD.   

Personally, the way I see it, hard drives are ticking time bombs. I just don't feel safe leaving important information on a mechanical device that can be subject to drive failure, malware infections, software errors, electrical shock, or physical damage. Instead, I prefer to burn all essential data to high quality TYG01 or MXLRG01 DVD-R media using my external LiteOn DVD burner. That burner creates discs with exceptionally low error rates, and I've never had a coaster. If the data is that important to me, I could just create an md5 checksum before and after and make sure they match up. The only drawback is that you can't fit nearly as much on a hard drive, but media is cheap!
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 08:09:36 PM »
i got a blueray burner now, they can theoretically fit 50GB, and they are also working on 16 layer versions that can handle 500GB on one disc.
but, also discs go crazy after some years.

am012513

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
I bought today an external harddrive from 1 TB , my first.
All my collection is on dvd's but from some dvd's are the data gone , I lost Rockpalast and a few others...
I'm going to put my dvd's on the new harddisk now , but the disk is not big enough for everything . . . ;D

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 08:50:53 PM »
All my collection is on dvd's but from some dvd's are the data gone , I lost Rockpalast and a few others...

Cheap discs will do that.  ;)

This is a must read:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.