Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 612979 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #2265 on: May 11, 2018, 04:34:14 PM »
I must be crazy, but my bet is that the album (and the artwork) will be done when it will be done.

You mean no deadline? I highly doubt the label would allow that.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2266 on: May 11, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
Release date might be September/October so there is plenty of time yet...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #2267 on: May 11, 2018, 05:46:34 PM »
I must be crazy, but my bet is that the album (and the artwork) will be done when it will be done.

Why not ?
Mark Knopfler has his very own studio, it doesn't cost his label anything. He can spend 2 days or 2 months, even 2 years in his studio, the label doesn't have to pay for anything.

So basically the label doesn't have to allow anything, Mark Knopfler is his own boss.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 05:48:53 PM by Trawlerman »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2268 on: May 11, 2018, 06:15:36 PM »

Why not ?
Mark Knopfler has his very own studio, it doesn't cost his label anything. He can spend 2 days or 2 months, even 2 years in his studio, the label doesn't have to pay for anything.

So basically the label doesn't have to allow anything, Mark Knopfler is his own boss.
Record Labels have plans and budgets, like any other there company, so they need certain timings too

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2269 on: May 11, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »

Why not ?

Record Labels have plans and budgets, like any other there company, so they need certain timings too

And may I add that artists get "advance money" from the label too.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2270 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »

Why not ?

And may I add that artists get "advance money" from the label too.

You two answered it for me  :)

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #2271 on: May 11, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
You don't know his record deal.
Mark left Warner for Universal a few years ago (Privateering)
He didn't left Warner for a worse deal and Universal is known for giving a bit more freedom to big artists.

Mark could have very well dealt a no obligations contract, no obligation to deliver an album every 2 or 3 years and such details.
Himself and Guy produce the records, they do the mixing and all that stuff, there's basically no one outside MK's close circle and nobody from the label involved in the whole creative and production process.

He owns the studio, he owns the equipment and he has all the money anyone could dream of. Which means he doesn't need any help or money advance from the label, and that's how a clever and free artist like MK would handle things.

In his case the label is there to distribute the record, not to help him do it. Don't owe anything to anyone and you're a free artist.
The way I see it, Universal distributes the record when it's done, and it's done when MK gives the finished product to the label.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:26:18 PM by Trawlerman »

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2272 on: May 11, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »
Well, I wouldn't think I'd have to explain that saying I highly doubt something doesn't mean I know for sure.

Having said that, maybe you're right but... I highly doubt it. Labels are companies like any others, they have schedules, budgets, ledgers and logistics strategies. It's not like PC phones them up out of the blue and tells them they've got incoming coming in. They need to know in advance when Mark's sending them the final product so that they can mobilize their teams and get it going way before they finally have it. It's management basics and I'm pretty sure (now I mean it) Mark knows and respects it given the fact he's often described as extremely professional. Yes, there might be delays but I assure you they are in touch and they have plans.

Long story short, Mark may have all the freedom in the world to record his projects but he's still attached to rules.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:58:45 PM by Eddie Fox »

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #2273 on: May 11, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
Every month I receive a list of announcements about new albums with exact release dates. But only from Sony Music. Unfortunately, Universal and Warner do not provide announcements.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 08:30:29 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #2274 on: May 11, 2018, 08:42:43 PM »
Well, I wouldn't think I'd have to explain that saying I highly doubt something doesn't mean I know for sure.

Having said that, maybe you're right but... I highly doubt it. Labels are companies like any others, they have schedules, budgets, ledgers and logistics strategies. It's not like PC phones them up out of the blue and tells them they've got incoming coming in. They need to know in advance when Mark's sending them the final product so that they can mobilize their teams and get it going way before they finally have it. It's management basics and I'm pretty sure (now I mean it) Mark knows and respects it given the fact he's often described as extremely professional. Yes, there might be delays but I assure you they are in touch and they have plans.

Long story short, Mark may have all the freedom in the world to record his projects but he's still attached to rules.

Of course they are in touch. But rules as we knew it a decade ago are mostly for beginners who really need a label financial support.
Of course MK provides an approximate delivery date because it involves a lot of things. But no way at this point of his career does the label dictates him anything. They need big sellers like him, and he doesn't necessarily need them.

One mouse click and you can release your album in the entire world, with or without Universal, Sony or Warner support.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2275 on: May 11, 2018, 09:12:07 PM »
If MK wants to release his cd through universal, universal needs a schedule to do all the distribution and promotion. They cannot improvise everything related to the release.

Probably Universal has said MK that in order to release in September the record must be ready at X date, if not, the next date of release would need the record is delivered by X date.

Mk is free, but tied at the same time to the logistics of the record companies.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2276 on: May 11, 2018, 09:15:54 PM »
If MK wants to release his cd through universal, universal needs a schedule to do all the distribution and promotion. They cannot improvise everything related to the release.

Probably Universal has said MK that in order to release in September the record must be ready at X date, if not, the next date of release would need the record is delivered by X date.

Exactly, free to an extent. It’s pretty obvious, he can’t do whatever he wants when there are so many things to be sorted.

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #2277 on: May 11, 2018, 09:51:22 PM »

Exactly, free to an extent. It’s pretty obvious, he can’t do whatever he wants when there are so many things to be sorted.

If you read Jbaent explanation, MK is totally free. If not in 3 months, then in 6 months, or 12 or whenever.
He's not tied to an exact schedule per say.

He knows how much time the label needs to organize the release and everything but that's pretty much it. He doesn't have someone calling him everyday and say hurry up.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2278 on: May 11, 2018, 10:05:35 PM »
Oh, god... I must be writing in mandarin. Ok, you’re right lol

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2279 on: May 12, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
Oh, god... I must be writing in mandarin. Ok, you’re right lol
You do write funny that is true....

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.