Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 614772 times)

Offlinetngemini

• Guitar George
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #1005 on: July 17, 2017, 01:34:15 AM »
+1

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1006 on: July 17, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
I'm listening to more and more solo stuff simply because that's been played at the latest live shows, however every now and then I come to realise I'm still a rocker, don't have one foot in the grave yet and need some Straitage! ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1007 on: July 17, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
That´s what happens to me. I find easire to listen to the solo stuff as it´s the MK that I watch playing live, and the MK that exists nowadays.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1008 on: July 17, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
I love everything.
A lot of solo songs are DS-grade to me: WII, STP, SAN, WAM,HFB,BLT,PFP,BR,PTTE,YTC,KOG...
If these songs had been on a album with a DS sticker on it, would have any DS fan protested ? :)
Yet the solo stuff lacks epic long progressive songs...no solo equivalent to TR or TOL !

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #1009 on: July 17, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
I think Why Aye Man had the potential to be a long progressive song, but it seemed like MK got bored with it and failed to follow through. Shame.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1010 on: July 17, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »
Guy on his forum: Studio diary in september. They are now on hold for the summer. Back at BG in september i think.....

Love Expresso

« Reply #1011 on: July 17, 2017, 06:35:58 PM »
I asked Terry Kilburn if I would understand correctly that "date of completion" means NOT the same as release date and his answer was "not release date". Just to let you know.

LE
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:06:58 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #1012 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:52 PM »
Val, that's because we grow old like MK, and our tastes had changed as well, in some cases fasters than others.

People who abandoned MK in his solo career would listen to DS but never MK solo records. People that continued following him and learnt not to expect that DS style songs, but learnt to enjoy the nowadays MK songs, would rather listen to the solo records as they fut better with the MK we keep following that the one from DS which is gone long ago some would say, for good.

Interesting and I really think wise words

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1013 on: July 18, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »
Val, that's because we grow old like MK, and our tastes had changed as well, in some cases fasters than others.

People who abandoned MK in his solo career would listen to DS but never MK solo records. People that continued following him and learnt not to expect that DS style songs, but learnt to enjoy the nowadays MK songs, would rather listen to the solo records as they fut better with the MK we keep following that the one from DS which is gone long ago some would say, for good.

Interesting and I really think wise words

Agreed!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1014 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
I had a fight against myself with MK solo career... When STP cames out I was expecting that MK would leave behind all that folky and country songs from GH, and when I listened to "What It Is" I was truly happy, it looked like the old DS days were back but when I listened to the whole STP I was very angry because It hadn´t anything to do with DS days and many songs were a style of songs that I couldn't understand what in heaven was he doing...

Paradoxically, it was the next record, RPD, who made me understand what MK was doing, what MK was trying to do with STP and now that I understood that, I knew that there were only two options, keep following him and embrace what he was doing now, embrace the solo artist he wanted to be, or abandon him and stop following his career.

With that record, I learnt to love what he does, and that love kept growing record after record, not only that, but I also started listening to artists like Gillian Welch, Josh Rouse, Alison Krauss, Ryan Adams etc etc which styles kind of fit with what MK was doing.

I recall a conversation with and old friend before Ragpickers came out, during the MK and Friends concerts, regarding how angry I was with MK and his music after STP, and he said to me "MK has moved, as a fan, you have to move as well, move with him, or without him"

He was right, and I´m happy with the decision I made.

OfflineNeville Sherman

• Camerado
« Reply #1015 on: July 18, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
Well, that's it for the Summer isn't it? Boy, this is slow, slow! Enjoy the sun one and all! :wave

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1016 on: July 18, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »
Well, that's it for the Summer isn't it? Boy, this is slow, slow! Enjoy the sun one and all! :wave

Resuming in september, and record scheduled for completion (not release) in March 2018 is quite a long long time...

I don´t mind waiting so much, after waiting already so long, but I fear it would means there won´t be any tour starting april/may 2018 :(

Love Expresso

« Reply #1017 on: July 18, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
My thoughts exactly. I would go for a August/September 2018 release then with 2019 spring tour... or US first in Oct/Nov as they obviously like it...

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1018 on: July 18, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »
My thoughts exactly. I would go for a August/September 2018 release then with 2019 spring tour... or US first in Oct/Nov as they obviously like it...

LE

There is another chance... MK usually plays in arenas and theaters during april, may, even june, so... why not an Autum/Winter tour (like the one with Dylan) playing in arenas and theaters? He will miss the open air venues and summer festivals but, logistically, maybe it's better to fill an arena that playing a square in Itally in terms of tickets that you can sell...

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1019 on: July 18, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
We will know soon. If MK goes on tour in Europe next year starting in may/June ticket sales will start in September/oktober......

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 43 queries.