Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: I got the blues...(at Arthur's request)  (Read 10918 times)

Rollergirl

I got the blues...(at Arthur's request)
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
Tudududa....

Went to see Walter Trout and the Radicals last Saturday in a small club. Sat at the bar all night (not to drink, although we did a bit of that too, but so we could sit down, the older ones here will understand... ;D) and saw a nice (almost) 2 hours of b'luuues.

Walter Trout is a great guitarist, who doesn't miss a note (but overdoes it sometimes IMHO).

It was funny to draw the comparisons with MK and co in terms of organisation. This was a small group of multi-tasking people, the first act (Ralson Bowles, I was pleasantly surprised with him) worked at the merchandise booth after the gig, together with the guitar tech (a Chuck Ainley lookalike) who also doubled as 2nd guitar and backing vocals during the gig (he even sang a song as lead vocalist but I didn't like it at all, he had a "hard-rock" type of voice which was totally out of place.)

Walter came down to sign some CDs after the gig and mingled with the crowd (but we didn't wait for him).

Can't have been more than 200 people there, I can't see how this can be worth travelling to Europe for them, even without flying private jets or sleeping in luxury hotels. Can't be for the money they're coming over here, but I am grateful they do.

Hubby took a couple of pics with his mobile.

draad

Re: I got the blues...(at Arthur's request)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:33:15 AM »
TY for posting Nat. Glad you had a good night. I'm sure these little gigs have to "break even" as a minimum, but agree, they're not being done for the money. I don't see Guy getting the time to do any more Blues Band gigs until after the next MK tour, which is a shame. :(

Rollergirl

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »
Well at least you got to see some and will in the future. I don't think they'll make the trip to Sweden! (although I am sure there are loads of good small bands touring Sweden but I don't know about them!)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »
The venue will make money on drinks and stuff as well, so the artist's fee will probably be agreed in advance taking things like that into account, and not be related to ticket sales.

That said, I know from seeing what went on when I supported Midge Ure a few times that the venue will take a cut of the merchandising sales, usually 10%.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »
Steve Phillips is playing down the road from me in Harrogate on 10th May, so I will probably pop down to see him there.  He's always good to see and such a nice fellow.   :) 

Also Brendan Croker is playing at Korks in Otley, on 29th May.  Not sure if I will make this one, but I'll try my best!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
The venue will make money on drinks and stuff as well, so the artist's fee will probably be agreed in advance taking things like that into account, and not be related to ticket sales.

That said, I know from seeing what went on when I supported Midge Ure a few times that the venue will take a cut of the merchandising sales, usually 10%.

Thanks, that's interesting to know.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
(although I am sure there are loads of good small bands touring Sweden but I don't know about them!)

Just saw Opeth last Friday. Ever heard of them? They are from Sweden. Not quite MK...but nevertheless...great band.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:10:36 AM »
Opeth are my youngest sons favourite band and even though they are not my style of band their musical talent is excellent!!! Like, some of their more melodic stuff though... :) ;)

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:14:31 AM »
Opeth are my youngest sons favourite band and even though they are not my style of band their musical talent is excellent!!! Like, some of their more melodic stuff though... :) ;)

Nice, I'm not so much a fan of the "cookie monster" vocals, but I've found a soft spot for the progressive metal genre in general. There are some fantastic bands involved! I'm sure I'll return to MK mode once the new album comes out in September.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 46 queries.