Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 25 Years On Every Street  (Read 17429 times)

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
Re: 25 Years On Every Street
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »
Listening to YYF a lot now. Live version. Can you imagine having David Gilmour playing guest lead guitar on that? OMG.

Love it! Followed by High Hopes ... slidetastic!!

Who knows, maybe DG will be a special guest at the RAH ... pipe dreams...!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
Great album and remember like many of you on here, going to WH Smiths to purchase this on the day of release.
I also remember purchasing the 'On the night' album (Limited edition cassette with a free holder for when the 'encores' cassette came out) alas I don't have this - doh!!
The 'On the night' album also came with a 'free' T-shirt which had a picture of the cover on it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:48:25 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 09:08:02 AM »
I remember going into town on the release day and coming home and playing it over and over.  Mr Val was painting the front door when I arrived home, so I'm sure the neighbours were getting an earfull of DS through the open door whilst the paint dried!   ;)  I still think it's one of the best DS albums with many fantastic songs.

@ Knopflerfan - I also bought the 'On the Night' album with the T-shirt.  It was much too big for me, so I wore it as a mini-nightie until it eventually wore out!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »
It was the first DS record I bought the day it got released, actually, a cassete, together with the Calling Elvis maxi, as I saw there was a track not in the cassete.

All nights I went to sleep listening to a radio programme that the night before, put almost all the record, so I listen to most of the songs the night after!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
I remember going into town on the release day and coming home and playing it over and over.  Mr Val was painting the front door when I arrived home, so I'm sure the neighbours were getting an earfull of DS through the open door whilst the paint dried!   ;)  I still think it's one of the best DS albums with many fantastic songs.

@ Knopflerfan - I also bought the 'On the Night' album with the T-shirt.  It was much too big for me, so I wore it as a mini-nightie until it eventually wore out!   :)

Haha, it was really huge!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
Yeah, that was the era of oversized t-shirts, the shoulder seam often going WAY down on your upper arm and the sleeve almost past your elbow.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »
Yeah, that was the era of oversized t-shirts, the shoulder seam often going WAY down on your upper arm and the sleeve almost past your elbow.

Nowadays is the opposite!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »

Nowadays is the opposite!

And we're all too old for it to look good!  :lol

I bought my copy of OES from Woolworths (RIP) in Falkirk and received a nice badge with it.  Not sure if that was exclusive to Woolies or not.  Still got the badge too!

My copy of CE single (don't recall where bought) but on the way home popped into my aunts and she put it on her hi-fi.  I wasn't too keen at first but she liked it!

The album has been a real grower on me and I love the country style of many songs.  There are a lot of very good songs on that record and none that I don't like.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
Two songs I don't care much for and think don't fit the album are Ticket to Heaven and My Parties. They are not bad songs, I enjoy the sarcasm, but musically they feel like aberrations.

Also Heavy Fuel is a skipper for me. It feels clumsy and too much of an MFN clone.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:54 PM »
Heavy Fuel is a skipper for me.

For me it's so skipper that yesterday I listened to it 10 times
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
Two songs I don't care much for and think don't fit the album are Ticket to Heaven and My Parties. They are not bad songs, I enjoy the sarcasm, but musically they feel like aberrations.

Also Heavy Fuel is a skipper for me. It feels clumsy and too much of an MFN clone.

These ran through my mind as I wrote my last post, but I still don't dislike them as I do so many of his latest solo songs.

Ticket to Heaven always reminds me of the Professor Joe Butcher character from Licence to Kill.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:14:26 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »

These ran through my mind as I wrote my last post, but I still don't dislike them as I do so many of his latest solo songs.

Ticket to Heaven always reminds me of the Professor Joe Butcher character from Licence to Kill.

I have to admit to skipping 'My Parties'  and 'Heavy Fuel'.  'Heavy Up' from the last album is a skipper too  - I have tried to like it, but it's just not doing it for me!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
'Calling Elvis' is most deffo a skipper, 'Heavy fuel' is fine but 'My parties' and 'You and Your friend' are outstanding and feature highly on my MK ratings list....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:17:34 AM by Knopflerfan »

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2019, 10:29:11 AM »
I bought both OES and OTN from Our Price (remember them?). No badges, posters, stickers or t-shirts for me 😢

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2019, 08:28:10 AM »
I bought both OES and OTN from Our Price (remember them?). No badges, posters, stickers or t-shirts for me 😢

Just for you pigster!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 42 queries.