Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits records in ATMOS  (Read 6266 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Dire Straits records in ATMOS
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2023, 05:14:06 PM »
I have been searching for a BIA ATMOS download link but cannot find anyone. Is it only available at streaming services ?

I think Apple music has a download option but as far as I know is just streaming.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »
I'm just listening to the BIA Atmos mix in Amazon Music with a new pair of JBL headphones and wow...

You can spot the real difference in songs like Your Latest Trick, where I'm listening stuff I never noticed before, Why Worry is also out of this world, but the start of Ride Across the River is amazing, all the percussion noises are quite separated as indepent objects and, despite I'm listening to it on stereo headphones is as there are sounds I never ever heard before, also the songs are a little longer with longer fade outs than before.

All the percussion sounds during One World are amazing, never heard them! Lot of great things here and there.

The synths at the start of BIA are wow, almost Floydian.

I also would say Guy mixed some sounds in a higher volumen than in the original mix so stuff that was buried originally now can be heard. That, or the objects technology in atmos makes everything more present in the mix even with headphones.

This mix is really something, I will get an Echo Studio speaker probably this week to try this atmos mixes properly and will tell you, but just with the headphones is something worth to listen!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 01:35:08 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2023, 02:12:52 PM »
I envy :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

hunter

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2023, 02:33:46 PM »
But the question is: Does it improve the songs? Or does it feel like distracting effects that make you pay attention to the individual parts and not the whole?

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2023, 02:45:03 PM »
I'm just listening to the BIA Atmos mix in Amazon Music with a new pair of JBL headphones and wow...

You can spot the real difference in songs like Your Latest Trick, where I'm listening stuff I never noticed before, Why Worry is also out of this world, but the start of Ride Across the River is amazing, all the percussion noises are quite separated as indepent objects and, despite I'm listening to it on stereo headphones is as there are sounds I never ever heard before, also the songs are a little longer with longer fade outs than before.

All the percussion sounds during One World are amazing, never heard them! Lot of great things here and there.

The synths at the start of BIA are wow, almost Floydian.
I also would say Guy mixed some sounds in a higher volumen than in the original mix so stuff that was buried originally now can be heard. That, or the objects technology in atmos makes everything more present in the mix even with headphones.

This mix is really something, I will get an Echo Studio speaker probably this week to try this atmos mixes properly and will tell you, but just with the headphones is something worth to listen!

Could not agree more. I would add that I played the ATMOS tracks on descent headphones plus my Yamaha 5.1 HIFI Surround system that supports ATMOS. Obviously the Yamaha Surround makes the experience better and more complete. As I am not an audiophile I did not expect to hear any noticeable differences, between all these versions over the years.
But these ATMOS tracks are clearly better in my view. What I would to add to Jeroens post is that it also sounds like you are RIGHT next to Mark, right next to the instruments, as to the normal versions are more of a general surround feel.
And they sound crystal clear, so crisp and like you are in the middle of the band.
I then played the original CD tracks, and then ATMOS again, and CD again. The ATMOS releases make a difference for once  :D.     

@Hunter: It improves the songs I would say. The "effects" are not disturbing. They make the tracks more present, more you in the center of the whole thing.     
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 02:47:46 PM by peterromer »
Cheers Peter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 39 queries.