Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul  (Read 67806 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2020, 04:33:49 PM »
Maybe one day mark will write a song about producing brand new guitars with scratches.
Or maybe I will write one before him.

Reminds me of this great video :lol

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2020, 09:44:32 PM »

O-M-G.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJensen

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »

O-M-G.

That was actually rather interesting to watch. I have a child's fascination when it comes to stuff like that. I still see it as some sort of magic. I really liked to see it getting back to shape but I could have done without the aging. He did that quite well too. I just don't see the point at all.

Anyway, I read this entire thread today and found myself torn between finding those MK Les Pauls really interesting and then finding it all to be way too much about collecting, the idea of an investment and the like. It reminded me of a comparison between a very cheap Les Paul style guitar and an original 1952 Les Paul. I have always found that it helped balance things out quite a bit when I tend to forget the basics:

If you feel I am going of topic, please say so and I will remove it.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2020, 04:01:26 PM »
https://reverb.com/fr/item/13603777-gibson-custom-shop-58-les-paul-standard-mark-knopfler-aged-097-100-2016-aged-cherry-burst-2016-age

For sale Gibson Custom Shop ’58 Les Paul Standard Mark Knopfler Aged #097/100 2016 Aged Cherry Burst 2016
Obviously a very nice guitar but too much flame to look like MK’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »

O-M-G.

That was actually rather interesting to watch. I have a child's fascination when it comes to stuff like that. I still see it as some sort of magic. I really liked to see it getting back to shape but I could have done without the aging. He did that quite well too. I just don't see the point at all.

Anyway, I read this entire thread today and found myself torn between finding those MK Les Pauls really interesting and then finding it all to be way too much about collecting, the idea of an investment and the like. It reminded me of a comparison between a very cheap Les Paul style guitar and an original 1952 Les Paul. I have always found that it helped balance things out quite a bit when I tend to forget the basics:

If you feel I am going of topic, please say so and I will remove it.

This topic is practically dead anyway, because who wanted this guitar already purchased it and it will never be played or sold or looked on or touched again in 100 years to preserve the value :lol

I'm not a fan of relicing either, it's sort of resembles me buying a signature of a celebrity off of somebody, it's like — what's the point? The point of a signature is for you to remember the meeting, the story around it, your personal story. If anything, I would rather buy a stock VOS 1958 Les Paul to beat it up myself. No pointless signatures or some guy beating up a perfectly new guitar for no reason.

The previous owner of my 1997 Gibson Advanced Jumbo had a huge lacquer crack on the back of the headstock, because his kid has dropped the guitar once. The crack was only sealed with some shellac and never been truly repaired, so it's just sitting there and looking lake damage with almost bare wood showing. But it's cool to know the story of it.

OfflineJensen

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #200 on: June 28, 2020, 08:16:47 PM »
Real relicing is the real deal no matter if it is from the previous owner. It is still a part of the real history of the instrument. I like that.

I recently saw an SG from 1965 and got interested until I figured that I was going to pay a lot because it is old and it would lose a lot of value as soon as I had put a pickup in the neck and done whatever I thought it would need. So I decided that if I am going to buy one, I am going to buy a new one.

By the way I have seen some of your youtube videos in which you teach how to play Knopfler's stuff. They are very good. I have my problems playing his stuff but I can't blame the videos for that  :)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
Real relicing is the real deal no matter if it is from the previous owner. It is still a part of the real history of the instrument. I like that.

I recently saw an SG from 1965 and got interested until I figured that I was going to pay a lot because it is old and it would lose a lot of value as soon as I had put a pickup in the neck and done whatever I thought it would need. So I decided that if I am going to buy one, I am going to buy a new one.

By the way I have seen some of your youtube videos in which you teach how to play Knopfler's stuff. They are very good. I have my problems playing his stuff but I can't blame the videos for that  :)

Yeah, just like with a classic car which you want to actually drive, it will lose value, but the car is supposed to... be driven? Not everybody think so :lol

Thanks, yes, I play some MK things, believe me, this man's playing perplexes me every time I sit around to learn his stuff... The guy is a genius no doubt.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
So the one on eBay now for 3500 dollars. Is it a good buy at that price? Investment? Tad expensive to learn to play on mind.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
So the one on eBay now for 3500 dollars. Is it a good buy at that price? Investment? Tad expensive to learn to play on mind.
It will sell for a lot more than that.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
What’s its true price then?

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »
It’s worth whatever someone will pay for it... at a guess I’ll say it will probably go for at least double that. Let’s see!

Offlinemarki

• Local Hero
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2020, 11:36:06 PM »
Hi,

The one on ebay isn't from the official run. Different color as well as serial#

Might be good custom shop guitar, but they "just" reliced it "same" as MK aged features.
A bit misleading, especially for fans who aren't familiar with Gibson.

This is the link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Gibson-Custom-Shop-1958-Les-Paul-Reissue-Aged-Mark-Knopfler-NO-RESERVE/233652158696?hash=item3666c100e8:g:BxkAAOSwQFBfEN31

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2020, 11:50:56 PM »
Yes all a bit confusing.
Gorgeous guitar.
Potentially worth a punt, but surprised there is so little interest in it.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2020, 01:11:35 AM »
$3750 as a final price. Only two bidders. Either someone has got a bargain or not!

hunter

« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2020, 02:50:00 AM »
That's not a real MK Les Paul, is it?

Still looks like a fine instrument, and if it's made with the same specs as the MK model, then the price seems good.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.