Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Playtime deluxe  (Read 64821 times)

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: Playtime deluxe
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »
Too much negativity here for me.
I was there that evening and Mark was very relaxed and good looking and it was a pure joy to see him and take in his unique charm and charisma.
He was the only artist who came out after the show to speak to the fans and sign memorabilia. Very relaxed and warmhearted.
And he was the only artist who made the effort to rehearse and present a new song that evening instead of just easily going for an old big hit.
Maybe some have to realize that it's not 1977 anymore and he is approaching 70.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
I notice that Bill Wyman's 80th birthday gig was held 28th October 2016.  In April, 2017 on the DS and MK Pictures thread - Page 9 there is a very nice picture of MK looking wonderful - I thought so anyway!      :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »
"Too much negativity here for me"

Exactly

Skydiver I like it :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »
I was there that evening and Mark was very relaxed and good looking and it was a pure joy to see him and take in his unique charm and charisma.
He was the only artist who came out after the show to speak to the fans and sign memorabilia. Very relaxed and warmhearted.
And he was the only artist who made the effort to rehearse and present a new song that evening instead of just easily going for an old big hit.

I must say that I did enjoy MK's sense of humour at that concert - he certainly had me in stitches watching the video and the audience too from what I heard!   

Nice to hear your recollections of the concert, Skydiver, particularly from someone who was there!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »
This is the one with the best sound imo:

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2017, 04:44:53 PM »

Some good points there and it's good to hear your experiences from the show itself.  It is all too easy to get on a downward spiral.  While it is not wise to just bury our heads in the sand it is also good to take all the positives we can.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
Hey stand back! you all know I'm the one here who appreciates Mark the most!
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »

LOL Stanko!    You must know that is me!     :D    :D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »
I was waiting for the "too much negativity" sentence, thanks a lot. I is allowed, though. This is not MKNews (where it wasn't allowed). I guess I made clear that I was stating my opinion.

Nice to hear that he came out after the show and signed stuff, don't expect him to do so these days anymore.

LE

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2017, 10:43:26 PM »
Great guitar playing , I love hearing the Les Paul

MK looks happy on stage with sunglass Van.

Thanks for sharing the clip

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »

LOL Stanko!    You must know that is me!     :D    :D
Then have it, I give you a place right next to me!
 :D
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2017, 02:08:08 AM »
In my opinion, it is in great shape. Sale 8 months. Remember?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:13:52 AM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2017, 06:38:26 AM »
I think you all bring up good points so far. About the relevance thing, I think that some of his "bad love" songs could be considered timeless and relevant, at least for me. LoG is probably his best both musically and lyrically IMHO, and more recently I think that "A place where..." is an example of how he manages to write about stuff that's relatable to alot of people (think of how many divorced middle aged people there are).

The comparison of Mark with classic wordsmiths like Dylan, Cohen and Springsteen is also interesting. Mark is not considered a poet like those guys are, maybe rightly so. But none of those guys were a guitar hero who influenced generations of guitar players either. That's probably Marks big selling point, that he was one of the top players ever, and who could actually sing and write good lyrics. I can't think of any other player of that caliber who did the same at the top of my head. (Well, Rory Gallagher would qualify for me personally, but I'm thinking in terms of general opinion).

To me, the "MK Guitar Hero" comes more from him composing great guitar solos and melodies more than playing so good as he plays.

Anyone can play as good or even better than MK, but only MK can write a so beautiful guitar solo as the one at the end of Tunnel Of Love, or in "telegraph road"...
I couldn't disagree more! ;) For me, it's Mk's unique guitar tone, his touch, his timing, his frazing, that make him the greatest guitarist. Noone plays like him. Whether anyone plays better or are better guitarists is irrelevant and highly subjektive. Music is not a competition, it's feelings and personal taste. So in my opinion noone can play as good or even better than MK, but many can write beautiful solos, songs and lyrics and even play great guitar.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:56 AM »
MK is just the luckiest guy in the world, as he said about himself. He found his own sound (that feeling when you can be 100% sure it was Mark playing from the very first seconds of the record), he found his own style of writing, own way of playing. I mean, how many guys you've ever seen plays with resting ring and little fingers like MK? It's his most original invention and to me, the "Knopfleriest" thing of all. Also, I absolute hate when people are trying to copy that signature rest, to me it's ridiculous, worse than anything. You can copy songs, vocals, licks, but the rest? No, thanks... Don't do that.

Offlinepitx

• Local Hero
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
Cenizos.( Jinxed)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.