Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Shameless Plug  (Read 35558 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Shameless Plug
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
Great voice. I understand that it is all you, Dusty, singing?  :o Wow. Ever thought about recording an album? I also managed to listen to Social Networking Blues for the first time. This is far from only "talented". In my humble opinion.

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
Pretty songs, both new ones. I prefer the almost surf, up beat El Paso, even though I expected a longer guitar solo. As for Candy, I have to listen to it to a better sound system, and not my PC speakers. I think the voice "breaks" at the "homeeee" part. But I had to listen to them right away, so excuse me if I spoke too soon. Bravo! 
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2011, 10:58:55 AM »
Great voice. I understand that it is all you, Dusty, singing?  :o Wow. Ever thought about recording an album?

Aw, thanks LE, "You're very sweet." Yes, it's me singing, although I think the vocals are one of the weakest points. I used to be a good singer but too much smoking and a lack of practise has really knocked my voice.

These tracks will be part of my album, god knows when it will be finished though. :)

Pretty songs, both new ones. I prefer the almost surf, up beat El Paso, even though I expected a longer guitar solo.

Thanks! At first the guitar solo was going to take up the whole of that section but I thought it was too much, so I stuck some organ on it. I was pleased with the guitar tone on the solo though, a real growly, twangy tone. That's my Silvertone 1452L "Hornet" as used by MK on Boom Like That and Mike Henderson on the 2001 tour. The MK Strat also features, playing the tremolo bits that appear in the right speaker. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Jackal

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
Well done, Dusty. Like Candy a lot. Reminds me of Greg Brown's music, dustbowl country :) The organ sound on both tracks is not great though. I'm sure you're not playing a real Hammond, but I would suggest not only playing with fast Leslie speed.

How do you record, by the way?

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
Thumbs up! My favorite so far is "El Paso", you are a bunch of talented musicians! Be sure to book your slot at British Grove Studios in the not so distant future!  ;)
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »
The organ sound on both tracks is not great though.

Don't worry Jackal, it's not the first time someone has expressed disappointment with my organ. ;)

I'm not a keyboard player at all, but I just wanted to fill out the sound a bit. I thought it sounded OK, but I guess not! It's definitely not a Hammond, it's a crappy old Yamaha keyboard, I stuck it through some processing in an attempt to make it sound a bit better.

I use a little Boss 8 track, a BR-600, SM57 for all mic duties, a Pocket Pod for amp simulation. :)

Jackal

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »
Didn't mean to be nasty or anything, it's just that I think with a Hammond, only the real thing works, or some very good simulators. Maybe if you added a bit of tube amp distortion and slowed it down it would sound better. As for poor organ sounds, Guy has made some strange choices on Mark's records, particularly on KTGC. Cheesy.

The overall sound on your recordings are good though. It's amazing what it is achievable with so little equipment! I've just Line6 TonePort and Ableton much. Good stuff.

Love Expresso

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2011, 07:48:45 PM »
As for poor organ sounds, Guy has made some strange choices on Mark's records, particularly on KTGC. Cheesy.

Hey, Jackal, I like precise criticism - could you elaborate more? Maybe with some examples? I'm no musician at all and like the opportunity to learn something new about the stuff I like to listen to!  :) Sorry if this goes OT - didn't mean to!

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »
Didn't mean to be nasty or anything,

Not at all, it's very useful. That's why I put the tracks up, so I can improve them. Nobody everybody just going on about how great they are when I know they are flawed.

As for poor organ sounds, Guy has made some strange choices on Mark's records, particularly on KTGC. Cheesy.

Hey, Jackal, I like precise criticism - could you elaborate more? Maybe with some examples? I'm no musician at all and like the opportunity to learn something new about the stuff I like to listen to!  :) Sorry if this goes OT - didn't mean to!

LE

I know what Jackal means. Some of the electric organ sounds on KTGC are what I would call "authentic", but to some I can see why they would seem cheesy.

But I personally don't find that tone cheesy.

Junkie Doll and Coyote on the other hand...

Jackal

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
Well, it's all about taste of course, and, as Dusty says, on KTGC, the organ sound is authentic, i.e. fitting for that era, but I still don't like it. Have a listen to the organ on We Can Get Wild and Punish The Monkey. Awful. Very thin sound, and the Leslie speaker rotates with fast speed only.

Here's an example of beautiful Hammond playing, note how he alters the speed:

Jackal

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
And of course ... Go to about 6:00.

Love Expresso

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
Hm, interesting stuff, never thought about these details! So Guy is a bad organ player?  :lol
I think the intro of "Everybody Pays" must please you more then, and that was played by Jim if I remember correctly...

Funnily enough, I like "We Can Get Wild" the most on the whole album, and the organ does its part to it. But as you said, it's all a question of taste.

Back in 2004, when I read (shortly before I was able to listen to Shangri-La myself), that "Everybody Pays" sounded like a Hommage to "Whiter Shade Of Pale", I was thinking, Wow, at least we will have that FAT authentic organ sound - and was rather disappointed by the whole song.... I think it IS a great song, but I don't like it!  :)  (guitar, Mark's vocal style and so on...)

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
Dusty - As always I'm really impressed with your work and enjoyed these two songs immensely!  One of the other songs, "Social Networking Blues",  reminded me a bit of "Stand Up Guy"!   :)    I'm looking forward to the album! 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:27:18 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Jackal

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 09:06:16 AM »
Hm, interesting stuff, never thought about these details! So Guy is a bad organ player?  :lol
I think the intro of "Everybody Pays" must please you more then, and that was played by Jim if I remember correctly...

Funnily enough, I like "We Can Get Wild" the most on the whole album, and the organ does its part to it. But as you said, it's all a question of taste.

Back in 2004, when I read (shortly before I was able to listen to Shangri-La myself), that "Everybody Pays" sounded like a Hommage to "Whiter Shade Of Pale", I was thinking, Wow, at least we will have that FAT authentic organ sound - and was rather disappointed by the whole song.... I think it IS a great song, but I don't like it!  :)  (guitar, Mark's vocal style and so on...)

LE

No no, Guy is a fine player, but I'm sometimes puzzled by the choices he makes regarding sounds (the fake horns on Coyote being the worst example ...).

Everybody Pays is indeed a good example of beautiful organ sound.

Love Expresso

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
Dusty - As always I'm really impressed with your work and enjoyed these two songs immensely!  One of the other songs, "Social Networking Blues",  reminded me a bit of "Stand Up Guy"!   :)    I'm looking forward to the album! 
Hey Val, long time no see!

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 56 queries.