Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MOFI remasters first 4 albums on 45rpm 2LP and SACD  (Read 17209 times)

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
Re: MOFI remasters first 4 albums on 45rpm 2LP and SACD
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:32 PM »
Is there news somewhere about this re-issue of the vinyls? Will it be on 180g quality vinyl like the WB 2009 versions?

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »
Is there news somewhere about this re-issue of the vinyls? Will it be on 180g quality vinyl like the WB 2009 versions?

Yes the double lps will be on 180g vinyl.

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 09:09:13 PM »

Yes the double lps will be on 180g vinyl.

And i was just going to buy the WB 2009 versions of DS albums, maybe I should wait then...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2019, 01:40:02 AM »
TR on 45t  :think
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »
I have a doubt with the SHM-SACD japanese versions of the DS records, the description says " fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players", but I thought that normally these has a compatible layer to be readable on cd players... They don't have that layer and if you don't have a sacd player, they are not working?

I use to play dvd-audios and sacd cds in my phillips home cinema, which has DTS, and I can play all the SACD of MK (Sailing or Shangrila for example) on my dvd player... would these shm-sacd play on it as well?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
Beware CD layer on SACD are NOT mandatory so if it does not says "CD player" it won't play.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2019, 05:16:03 PM »
I was at the Hi Fi Show at Ascot yesterday, and several rooms were playing the new vinyl 45rpm albums. I’m not a big vinyl fan but I have to admit they did sound good. And it WAS good to hear more Straits than for a while - Brothers in Arms made the odd appearance, as did Why Worry, both the original and a cover.

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
I have ordered al 4 of them, my dealer told me it could be a month or so before I get them. ;D

Brian
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

Offlinesilentguy

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2019, 12:13:05 AM »
I have a doubt with the SHM-SACD japanese versions of the DS records, the description says " fully compatible with standard SACD player, but it does not play on standard CD players", but I thought that normally these has a compatible layer to be readable on cd players... They don't have that layer and if you don't have a sacd player, they are not working?

I use to play dvd-audios and sacd cds in my phillips home cinema, which has DTS, and I can play all the SACD of MK (Sailing or Shangrila for example) on my dvd player... would these shm-sacd play on it as well?

If you were playing on a non SACD player, you were playing the CD versions,  which are also contained on the HYBRID SACDs.
I have all the Japanese SHM SACDs and if they are not hybrids they wont play on non SACD players.

Offlinesilentguy

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2019, 06:31:08 AM »
Also in looking into SACDs of Brothers in Arms , I found that the 2013 Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs MFSL is 55:16 in length as compared to the 2014 Japanese SHM SACD of 47:xx minutes
The sound is different on these 2 versions too.
I think more bass on the 2013 version

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2019, 12:23:04 PM »
Also in looking into SACDs of Brothers in Arms , I found that the 2013 Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs MFSL is 55:16 in length as compared to the 2014 Japanese SHM SACD of 47:xx minutes

Did you check which songs are longer and why? it's 8 minutes more...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2019, 01:20:47 PM »

Seems that the Japanese version maybe has a song missing.  8 mins is a lot.  Perhaps Why Bother?

The LP lasts for 47:21 and CD for 55:07 according to Wiki.  Maybe it contains the edited versions of the LP?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_in_Arms_(album)#CD_and_cassette

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2020, 03:42:20 AM »

Did you check which songs are longer and why? it's 8 minutes more...

That's because the SHM was mastered from the LP cutting tapes. No original analog two channel mix of BiA exists. The original two channel digital mix was made from the Sony DASH multi-tracks that had just 16 bits resolution sampled at 44.1 kHz. The LP cutting tape is simply an edited version of the digital master to make the album fit on one LP, with some heavy EQ to remove very low bass frequencies, since those frequencies are difficult to press on vinyl. Why the Vertigo SHM release used this as a source is beyond me, but fortunately we have the excellent MoFi release with the full digital source to listen to instead.

I finally sat down and compared all three recent releases of the self-titled including the 2010 SHM SACD, the 2013 SHM Platinum CD, and the recent Mo-Fi. I was surprised to find that the MoFi was an improvement over all of the Japanese re-releases! Against the 2010 SACD it wasn't even close. The 2010 release has a much higher level of tape hiss and is more dynamically compressed. I am somehow convinced that this disc used a higher generation tape and not the master as the booklet claims, but that's purely a guess. Comparing against the Platinum CD was a closer comparison, but the MoFi has more detail in the high end for sure, and the bass is more defined. The clarity of the cymbals on Water of Love is unrivaled on any other release. So much clarity with no harshness of any kind. These differences didn't take much critical listening to find and would be obvious on any decent playback system. I always wrote off the self titled album as somewhat lacking in production quality and chalked it up to the era of recording, but after listening to the MoFi a few times, I have definitely changed my mind.

Overall, I have to hand it to MoFi- they have a small mastering studio in the middle of nowhere in California far removed from all of the big LA studios (and thankfully on the opposite coast from Bob Ludwig), but they have produced some of the best sounding re-issues of classic rock albums. They have proved that mastering is all in the fine details and those fine details can make a huge difference in the final sound quality.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 37 queries.