Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel  (Read 115007 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2021, 01:23:03 PM »
KTGC has gone from being one of my least liked albums to being amongst my favourites.   Such a beautiful album!   :)

Always liked it, but like you this is now a huge favourite...
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »
12th - 18th century
The 1930s
The 1950s

:)

With regards KTGC, I'd also say the 1960's with the Shadows and especially Hanks 'Strat' sound which by the early 60's had that well known sound to it which MK liked and is evident on this album!!

That's true. A good example is the song We Can Get Wild.

"We'll be on our own Billy Fury on the gramophone...

Billy Fury recorded in the 1960s

Brilliant...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Fury

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2021, 04:11:59 PM »
12th - 18th century
The 1930s
The 1950s

With regards KTGC, I'd also say the 1960's with the Shadows and especially Hanks 'Strat' sound which by the early 60's had that well known sound to it which MK liked and is evident on this album!!

Brilliant...

Wow, this man sounded almost like every 50s and 60s artist. He had songs that sound like Elvis, The Everly Brothers, The Beatles ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2021, 05:15:27 PM »
12th - 18th century
The 1930s
The 1950s

Brilliant...

Wow, this man sounded almost like every 50s and 60s artist. He had songs that sound like Elvis, The Everly Brothers, The Beatles ;D

I was a fan of Billy Fury in my teens and Wondrous Place was one of my favourites:

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2021, 02:36:16 AM »
It's "Lions" time! Can't say I never tried to include this song before in the catalogue, but the time was right, and I know this is a desirable song. But! It was HARD, Caps Lock hard, and I mean it. Hard to learn, hard to record, hard everything. The simplest songs for me to do is the ones with simple and clear guitar parts, but here, guitars go all over the place. So I had to make my own version of the song, largely based on the real deal. Not the first time it happens, but I can't see how else I can include a song like this. The song is very strange and unusual, but that's exactly why we love it. Anyway, I hope you like my take on it. Pavel.

P.S. Guess what... I forgot to discuss the little part in the end when, before going to G to A section, it switches to Bm7 and F#m7 instead of Bm and F#m, making this part more gentle and sweet. You see, even after sitting on the song for so long, I still can find things to discuss. And I'm not even discussing solos in my videos and anything else. I've got enough to work with haha!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 09:12:40 AM by quizzaciously »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2021, 08:51:16 AM »
It's "Lions" time! Can't say I never tried to include this song before in the catalogue, but the time was right, and I know this is a desirable song. But! It was HARD, Caps Lock hard, and I mean it. Hard to learn, hard to record, hard everything. The simplest songs for me to do is the ones with simple and clear guitar parts, but here, guitars go all over the place. So I had to make my own version of the song, largely based on the real deal. Not the first time it happens, but I can't see how else I can include a song like this. The song is very strange and unusual, but that's exactly why we love it. Anyway, I hope you like my take on it. Pavel.

P.S. Guess that... I forgot to discuss the little part in the end when, before going to G to A section, it switches to Bm7 and F#m7 instead of Bm and F#m, making this part more gentle and sweet. You see, even after sitting on the song for so long, I still can find things to discuss. And I'm not even discussing solos in my videos and anything else. I've got enough to work with haha!

Oh wow Man, that's just awesome! You get better n better! Well done and thankyou  :wave

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2021, 09:20:52 AM »

P.S. Guess that... I forgot to discuss the little part in the end when, before going to G to A section, it switches to Bm7 and F#m7 instead of Bm and F#m, making this part more gentle and sweet. You see, even after sitting on the song for so long, I still can find things to discuss. And I'm not even discussing solos in my videos and anything else. I've got enough to work with haha!

Oh wow Man, that's just awesome! You get better n better! Well done and thankyou  :wave

Thank you! Yes, after doing it for so long you, I became accustomed to it and my playing seems to get better, but every new song is a completely new set of obstacles. Each time is like the first time, especially recording.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »

Thank you! Yes, after doing it for so long you, I became accustomed to it and my playing seems to get better, but every new song is a completely new set of obstacles. Each time is like the first time, especially recording.

All I can say is that all your videos are much appreciated....keep up the good work... :clap

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2021, 07:44:16 PM »

P.S. Guess what... I forgot to discuss the little part in the end when, before going to G to A section, it switches to Bm7 and F#m7 instead of Bm and F#m, making this part more gentle and sweet. You see, even after sitting on the song for so long, I still can find things to discuss. And I'm not even discussing solos in my videos and anything else. I've got enough to work with haha!

Damn you nailed not only the song, but captured the whole atmosphere of it. Kid me not, you're a pro?  ;)

:clap 
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2021, 07:45:47 PM »

Damn you nailed not only the song, but captured the whole atmosphere of it. Kid me not, you're a pro?  ;)

Yes I'm in agreement with justme, Pavel....you are a secret Pro aren't you?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #280 on: September 20, 2021, 08:17:59 PM »

Haha! And you guys captured exactly my goal for all my videos and "Lions" in particular. I want to capture the atmosphere of the song. Often it means just to replay what Mark already played. Like many of his songs are because the song was already finished even before he recorded it. But sometimes I need to be more creative. With that said, that "Lions" rhythm is actually in the song, I just don't know whether Mark played the bass notes on the record. If I had the master I would know.

And no, I'm definitely not a Pro. If I'd be a Pro, you won't see my videos at all because I would be busy doing "Pro" stuff. Because I'm not a pro, I can afford to do whatever I want, without any stress and schedules. So I'm happy I'm not a professional musician or a teacher for that matter.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #281 on: September 20, 2021, 08:19:15 PM »

Haha! And you guys captured exactly my goal for all my videos and "Lions" in particular. I want to capture the atmosphere of the song. Often it means just to replay what Mark already played. Like many of his songs are because the song was already finished even before he recorded it. But sometimes I need to be more creative. With that said, that "Lions" rhythm is actually in the song, I just don't know whether Mark played the bass notes on the record. If I had the master I would know.

And no, I'm definitely not a Pro. If I'd be a Pro, you won't see my videos at all because I would be busy doing "Pro" stuff. Because I'm not a pro, I can afford to do whatever I want, without any stress and schedules. So I'm happy I'm not a professional musician or a teacher for that matter.

Haha Haha, well just keep up the good work!! :clap :clap

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #282 on: September 20, 2021, 09:15:40 PM »

I'm on a roll now probably thanks to my supporters on Patreon. It's not a lot of money at all, but it puts just enough pressure on me that I shall keep going. Just the idea of having a "contract" with my audience makes me want to work harder. And as somebody said, "working for free is a sin."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2021, 09:48:27 PM »

I'm on a roll now probably thanks to my supporters on Patreon. It's not a lot of money at all, but it puts just enough pressure on me that I shall keep going. Just the idea of having a "contract" with my audience makes me want to work harder. And as somebody said, "working for free is a sin."

Any links you can share here for 'donations'??

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #284 on: September 20, 2021, 10:31:25 PM »

Any links you can share here for 'donations'??

All the links are on my website, and YES, I have a website: https://mksongbook.com/support

In fact, I have had it at least for 3 years or maybe even more. I just thought it's fun and convenient to have everything in one place, and also to have an eye on my progress. As you can see, I almost entirely missed Privateering, and Tracker, and Roadrunning for whatever reason, but I almost completely covered Shangri-La. It's fun! And shows just how many incredible songs are on their way to my channel. I've done 71 songs already, that's including 23 out of 60 Dire Straits songs and 48 MK Solo songs. That's not a lot, but on the other hand, that's 15 HOURS worth of lessons.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 36 queries.