Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Henrik Hansen Documentary  (Read 121643 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Henrik Hansen Documentary
« Reply #270 on: September 18, 2021, 07:22:10 PM »
What do you expect from someone who released zero dvd/bluray concerts after so many years and tours and
now even tours with a crap computer simulation (kemper) of his own real amps that damages the sound quality,
he has his own ideas that are respectable from one point of view but offensive to a lot of fans from another

David Gilmour releases 1 or even 2 bluray concerts from each tour,  Eric Clapton releases bluray concerts from tours
or even private sessions like the one coming in November, Mark Knopfler releases nothing after so many tours, that's it

Just for interest do DG or Crapton release audio recordings of their shows each night they play like MK?? Just curious...

I feel that Mark's not comfortable with the video format from day 1. While in the early days or even before the internet there were a lot of videos, but merely because Mark "needed" to do it in order to promote his music, I think now he's in his "videoless heaven", when he doesn't need to, and more importantly, doesn't want to make videos. From the interviews, we can get that he's not a fan of music videos either. So he's just not a video guy as much as he's not a prose guy.

Concert recordings are fine, but to be honest with you I never listened to those, even the shows I went to. It's okay and a great addition to the collection, but not more. I can live without it. If that's "the substitute" for proper live albums, then I have bad news for Mark :lol

yes, some audience recordings are vastly superior to those 'soundboards' , at least the Pensa on Telegraph sounds like a great guitar, not like a 100 euro guitar as in those 'soundboards', incredible stuff frankly, but he tours with a Kemper, so anything is possible, in the bad direction unfortunately

Can you explain the dislike of the Kemper? I thought it sounded awesome when I saw MK in Leeds.....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2021, 01:57:53 PM »
I also dislike the Kemper sound. All sounds too distorted in my opinion, the Strat sounds is not as clean as usual but some kind of dirty, like the Clapton guitar sounds, and the Les Paul didn't sounded as rough as usual, just with more distortion.

Before I knew anything about the Kemper, during the first concert in Barcelona I mentioned that to my friends, that the sound was too distorted in my opinion, that he had changed of amps, effects or something, and some days after I heard about the Kemper, and that explained everything.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2021, 02:58:21 PM »
Mark released the 2006 tour on DVD.

It was 15 years ago.

:lol

and it was NOT a solo tour
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2021, 03:04:38 PM »
What do you expect from someone who released zero dvd/bluray concerts after so many years and tours and
now even tours with a crap computer simulation (kemper) of his own real amps that damages the sound quality,
he has his own ideas that are respectable from one point of view but offensive to a lot of fans from another

David Gilmour releases 1 or even 2 bluray concerts from each tour,  Eric Clapton releases bluray concerts from tours
or even private sessions like the one coming in November, Mark Knopfler releases nothing after so many tours, that's it

Just for interest do DG or Crapton release audio recordings of their shows each night they play like MK?? Just curious...

I feel that Mark's not comfortable with the video format from day 1. While in the early days or even before the internet there were a lot of videos, but merely because Mark "needed" to do it in order to promote his music, I think now he's in his "videoless heaven", when he doesn't need to, and more importantly, doesn't want to make videos. From the interviews, we can get that he's not a fan of music videos either. So he's just not a video guy as much as he's not a prose guy.

Concert recordings are fine, but to be honest with you I never listened to those, even the shows I went to. It's okay and a great addition to the collection, but not more. I can live without it. If that's "the substitute" for proper live albums, then I have bad news for Mark :lol

yes, some audience recordings are vastly superior to those 'soundboards' , at least the Pensa on Telegraph sounds like a great guitar, not like a 100 euro guitar as in those 'soundboards', incredible stuff frankly, but he tours with a Kemper, so anything is possible, in the bad direction unfortunately

Can you explain the dislike of the Kemper? I thought it sounded awesome when I saw MK in Leeds.....

Do I really need to ? A guitar god should tour with his own usual real amps and have a 10/10 sound,
a kemper is an excellent simulation but surely not perfect, especially on the distorted sounds but not only on those,
the reason behind using a simulation vs the real thing in a world tour is frankly incomprehensible at best,
I should use a much more negative word but I won't

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:29:49 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2021, 08:11:51 PM »
I think his choice of amp on tours is more down to sponsorship than anything else tbh.

Remember this:

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2021, 09:16:53 PM »
I also dislike the Kemper sound. All sounds too distorted in my opinion, the Strat sounds is not as clean as usual but some kind of dirty, like the Clapton guitar sounds, and the Les Paul didn't sounded as rough as usual, just with more distortion.

Before I knew anything about the Kemper, during the first concert in Barcelona I mentioned that to my friends, that the sound was too distorted in my opinion, that he had changed of amps, effects or something, and some days after I heard about the Kemper, and that explained everything.

Same here. When I listened to the Barcelona recording for the first time I had a very different feeling compared to previous tour recordings.  I didn't know what it was, but the sound was different.

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2021, 10:48:21 PM »
I think his choice of amp on tours is more down to sponsorship than anything else tbh.

Remember this:
Ah, the advert in the 1996 tour programme...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2021, 10:20:28 AM »

I certainly hear the difference between a real amp and Kemper, but I think the problem here is that it's too "in your face", probably too much dry signal. I think you can easily make the real amp sounding as "lifeless" as Kemper or even worse, it just needs more work. The real amp is easier to dial in but harder to keep and to transport, and Kemper is easier to transport, but harder to dial it in...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »

I certainly hear the difference between a real amp and Kemper, but I think the problem here is that it's too "in your face", probably too much dry signal. I think you can easily make the real amp sounding as "lifeless" as Kemper or even worse, it just needs more work. The real amp is easier to dial in but harder to keep and to transport, and Kemper is easier to transport, but harder to dial it in...

Swings and roundabouts I'd say....again like dmg has previously said I expect it comes down to sponsorship....I prefer the 'real' deal like anyone but I didn't mind the Kemper sound. To be honest I would just like to hear MK play live again even if was through the Kemper but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2021, 10:39:59 AM »

Swings and roundabouts I'd say....again like dmg has previously said I expect it comes down to sponsorship....I prefer the 'real' deal like anyone but I didn't mind the Kemper sound. To be honest I would just like to hear MK play live again even if was through the Kemper but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to...

To transport a Kemper on tour is easier than transport all his different amps... maybe cheaper? I don't know. What I know for sure is that I don't like how it sounds.

Hope that if he gets to play again, he choose the real amps, if not, Kemper is better that not playing at all.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #280 on: September 20, 2021, 10:42:35 AM »

To transport a Kemper on tour is easier than transport all his different amps... maybe cheaper? I don't know. What I know for sure is that I don't like how it sounds.

Hope that if he gets to play again, he choose the real amps, if not, Kemper is better that not playing at all.

I beg to differ! Kemper isn't that bad!

https://www.kemper-amps.com/

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #281 on: September 20, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Disappointing there is no official video release, but sometimes the official releases are disappointing anyway (OTN, ANIL, ATRR to a degree).

We are spoiled by the amount of fan made videos with soundboard on youtube, a lot of them are brilliant.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #282 on: September 20, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
Disappointing there is no official video release, but sometimes the official releases are disappointing anyway (OTN, ANIL, ATRR to a degree).

We are spoiled by the amount of fan made videos with soundboard on youtube, a lot of them are brilliant.

Sometimes its 'Better the devil you know' when it comes to official releases...like you say OTN and ANIL were disappointing but I do enjoy Real Live Roadrunning as it is an MK on form!!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2021, 11:32:24 AM »

Sometimes its 'Better the devil you know' when it comes to official releases...like you say OTN and ANIL were disappointing but I do enjoy Real Live Roadrunning as it is an MK on form!!

I don't get all the disappointments with Mark's live releases. I think they are clearly a perfect representation of MK's mood at the time:

Alchemy: fresh, young, raw, success, one-night recording, no overdubs
On The Night: exhausted but perfectly excecuted, multiple shows
A Night In London: even more exhausted but happy to get rid of Dire Straits for good
Roadrunning: perfectly recorded and mixed, but even happier than before, small tour to emphasize going small scale
Last 15 years: the ultimate "I don't give a damn" MK

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #284 on: September 20, 2021, 11:43:16 AM »

I don't get all the disappointments with Mark's live releases. I think they are clearly a perfect representation of MK's mood at the time:

Alchemy: fresh, young, raw, success, one-night recording, no overdubs
On The Night: exhausted but perfectly excecuted, multiple shows
A Night In London: even more exhausted but happy to get rid of Dire Straits for good
Roadrunning: perfectly recorded and mixed, but even happier than before, small tour to emphasize going small scale
Last 15 years: the ultimate "I don't give a damn" MK

A night in London is soooooo bland and clearly a tired MK, in fact we saw him a few nights later!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 37 queries.