Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Henrik Hansen Documentary  (Read 121569 times)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Henrik Hansen Documentary
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2021, 11:51:04 AM »
Disappointing there is no official video release, but sometimes the official releases are disappointing anyway (OTN, ANIL, ATRR to a degree).

We are spoiled by the amount of fan made videos with soundboard on youtube, a lot of them are brilliant.

Sometimes its 'Better the devil you know' when it comes to official releases...like you say OTN and ANIL were disappointing but I do enjoy Real Live Roadrunning as it is an MK on form!!

I don't get all the disappointments with Mark's live releases. I think they are clearly a perfect representation of MK's mood at the time:

Alchemy: fresh, young, raw, success, one-night recording, no overdubs
On The Night: exhausted but perfectly excecuted, multiple shows
A Night In London: even more exhausted but happy to get rid of Dire Straits for good
Roadrunning: perfectly recorded and mixed, but even happier than before, small tour to emphasize going small scale
Last 15 years: the ultimate "I don't give a damn" MK
Roadrunning- an excellent visual record of 2006 shoe fashions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2021, 12:12:53 PM »
Disappointing there is no official video release, but sometimes the official releases are disappointing anyway (OTN, ANIL, ATRR to a degree).

We are spoiled by the amount of fan made videos with soundboard on youtube, a lot of them are brilliant.

Sometimes its 'Better the devil you know' when it comes to official releases...like you say OTN and ANIL were disappointing but I do enjoy Real Live Roadrunning as it is an MK on form!!

I don't get all the disappointments with Mark's live releases. I think they are clearly a perfect representation of MK's mood at the time:

A Night In London: even more exhausted but happy to get rid of Dire Straits for good
Roadrunning: perfectly recorded and mixed, but even happier than before, small tour to emphasize going small scale

Ah, yes. The filming style and the shaky camera is questionable indeed, and Mark's shirt is also not something to die for or write a song about :lol I find it utterly hilarious that probably the best outfit Mark had on a live show was probably On Every Street denim jacket and jeans. Can't go wrong with that :lol

Love Expresso

« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »
That shirt though, probably XXXXL  ;D. I wonder if no one really says something to him in time when it is so obviously unfitting...

When I saw him in Hamburg very early on that tour he had a black shirt and looked very good and was in very good shape though. I always wonder why he agrees to release a show with a bad Sultans and him really being hang-overed like ANIL.. Anti to the people at the most..

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2021, 12:56:21 PM »

Ah, yes. The filming style and the shaky camera is questionable indeed, and Mark's shirt is also not something to die for or write a song about :lol I find it utterly hilarious that probably the best outfit Mark had on a live show was probably On Every Street denim jacket and jeans. Can't go wrong with that :lol

The shirt in Roadrunning is positively huge!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #289 on: September 20, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »
That shirt though, probably XXXXL  ;D. I wonder if no one really says something to him in time when it is so obviously unfitting...

When I saw him in Hamburg very early on that tour he had a black shirt and looked very good and was in very good shape though. I always wonder why he agrees to release a show with a bad Sultans and him really being hang-overed like ANIL.. Anti to the people at the most..

LE

That shirt was so many sizes too huge for him! He could get Emmylou in there as well!!! :lol

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #290 on: September 20, 2021, 01:46:26 PM »

Really? I have heard this mentioned before, and I got get any impression of that, in fact I would say the opposite, because, like you say, he is happy to get rid of Dire Straits for good. During the last DS tour it was to easy for him, he needed a new challenge, and I think this show displays that, no more long solos, smaller venue, more rootsy songs, playing with top class Nashville musicians etc.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #291 on: September 20, 2021, 01:50:29 PM »

Really? I have heard this mentioned before, and I got get any impression of that, in fact I would say the opposite, because, like you say, he is happy to get rid of Dire Straits for good. During the last DS tour it was to easy for him, he needed a new challenge, and I think this show displays that, no more long solos, smaller venue, more rootsy songs, playing with top class Nashville musicians etc.

Yes, I guess so in some ways. It was a very laid back affair....which we all know now that was the way it was to be! Sultans was very good....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #292 on: September 20, 2021, 02:16:42 PM »

Just pure unadulterated Knopfler doing his thing!!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #293 on: September 20, 2021, 02:18:32 PM »

DS was about to 'be done' and to be honest looking at it now MK looks bored with the whole deal....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #294 on: September 20, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »
Exactly, at the end of that tour he had done everything he had wanted to do as a guitarist, after that he wanted to be the songwriter who also played guitar, so a solo career was the best option, after his mentor Chet died, Mark had nothing left to prove as a player, so he focused even more as being a song writer.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #295 on: September 20, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »
Exactly, at the end of that tour he had done everything he had wanted to do as a guitarist, after that he wanted to be the songwriter who also played guitar, so a solo career was the best option, after his mentor Chet died, Mark had nothing left to prove as a player, so he focused even more as being a song writer.

To which he has excelled beyond belief...almost as if being in DS was like being in a cocoon and upon leaving it behind he found new life!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #296 on: September 20, 2021, 02:31:18 PM »
It's true thinking on the DVD releases alone from playing the last notes on the OES tour and moving away from DS, The master had become more laid back in his styles and he seemed much happier to be playing what he wanted. In 1995/96 a new freedom had been found..The rest is history...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #297 on: September 20, 2021, 02:37:52 PM »
It's true thinking on the DVD releases alone from playing the last notes on the OES tour and moving away from DS, The master had become more laid back in his styles and he seemed much happier to be playing what he wanted. In 1995/96 a new freedom had been found..The rest is history...

I think Mark understands that people really love seeing him on video. I often rewatch many of his videos for research purposes and often, well, not often — I always find exceptional compliments and good stories. Mark's videos get exceptional comments and praise, but the man himself apparently thinks that he gives people enough with music and some interviews. Good for him! A life in songs and Tracker EPK was great, but we want more!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #298 on: September 20, 2021, 03:05:47 PM »

I think Mark understands that people really love seeing him on video. I often rewatch many of his videos for research purposes and often, well, not often — I always find exceptional compliments and good stories. Mark's videos get exceptional comments and praise, but the man himself apparently thinks that he gives people enough with music and some interviews. Good for him! A life in songs and Tracker EPK was great, but we want more!

A life in songs, the tracker EPK and even the fantastic Guitar Stories with John were awesome! But yes I agree we are all tinkering for that little bit more.....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #299 on: September 20, 2021, 05:38:47 PM »
Hear hear!!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 39 queries.