Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Should MK retire from music ?  (Read 15092 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Should MK retire from music ?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Should Mark retire? Short answer. NO.

You are talking about one of the greatest guitarists and songwriters of all time!! He has been a huge influence on the art of songwriting and guitar playing, he has got more prolific as he gets older, he can do everything, sing, write lyrics, compose music, play guitar, he is quite simply one of the greatest musical artists the world has ever known!!! He doesn't have to do it, but he loves to do it, it's a compulsion with him, it has been his life's work. The day Mark stops making music will be a very sad day. I remember the likes of Hank Marvin and Mike Oldfield saying they had gone into retirement, but they both released new albums this year, I think if you reach the level people like that do, you never retire. I think as fans we have been spoiled by Mark over the solo years, and long may it continue.

Agree 100%. 

I am so grateful that MK is writing and performing, and cannot imagine otherwise.

I agree also!    MK's music gives me more pleasure than anyone else and his songwriting just keeps getting better and better! I hope he continues for many more years!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:12:49 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Interesting thread to read through, some great answers here...

To me His songwriting is excellent and definitely as I've gotten older i've appreciated MK's lyrics more and more. I thought tracker was his best album in quite a while but understand I may be in the minority on that one.

I think the shows have the right amount of new/nostalgia/middle also. The musicians are great. no 2 ways about it. everyone's cup of tea? definitely not. But the thing I absolutely loved about seeing MK was that I felt there was a bit of everything he's ever done in the show a real retrospective of his whole career. Again i've always felt it wasn't worse just different.  To me the most astounding thing about MK is that his voice is fantastic. I think his voice is much stronger now than it was on other tours. He always sings exactly in tune (the show's i've listened to) and expressively.

To me the artists I think should retire are the ones that simply try (and fail) to recreate their glory days from 20-30 years ago as they age. MK has adapted to his ageing well. It's not a fresh show to us diehards by any means but to people in the public I think they would walk away satisfied. I think if MK was out there playing terrible versions of DS tunes struggling through the guitar playing and singing with a souless hire band then I would say it was time to hang it up.

Again just my 2 cents!

OfflineShangri-La

• Local Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Retire ? No.

Tracker was his best album since 2004 and SL. 

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
Hello

I'm sure this will cause some controversy but it is really a reaction to some of the views expressed since the announcement was made about the new projects.

Many people have spent however long it has been waiting for an announcement about what MK is working on and now news has broken the general feeling seems to be somewhat underwhelming and regarding any resulting tour that over the last few years the music has deteriorated considerably.

It got me thinking : should MK pack it in? Or should we simply expect less of him? He's spent his whole life
Writing and recording music, but the formula of recording / album / tour may need rethinking now.

I think we should give the guy a break ... I've got so much music of his I'm happy to listen to what I have. Put your feet up MK I say!
Agree. Take it as it comes.

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »
There has been a lot of nonsense being talked on this forum over past few months.

Mark Knopfler's guitar playing is still of an incredible standard. His phrasing, quick flurries and melodic instinct are still as good as ever, if not better.

I do not recognise many of the comments about his live performances deteriorating, his shows are ever improving to my ears. Barcelona and Manchester were the best I have ever seen from him and his great band.

In general, the overall musicianship, respect / interpretation of his songs is ever evolving taking things to a higher level.

Emotionally his shows are as engaging and beautiful as they ever have been.

MK is a victim of his own brilliance in my opinion.
Word. I prefer his sound / tone to his speed on guitar

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »
Why would a prolific and healthy genius who loves his job retire? Nonsense.

To me it's pretty clear his guitar playing is no longer the same but it's still unique and brilliant. It doesn't matter though, he's still producing top quality music and I hope he keeps doing it for as long as he wants and his body allows him to.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:54:34 PM by ed_raposo »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2017, 10:14:08 PM »
Why should he retire? Mark still loves what he does. Look how he responds when he sees his studio filled with replicas of his Gibson. And his last album contains some very good tracks. Lights Of Taormina is an wonderful song.

Though, I must admit I wouldn't mind some fresh blood / input in the production team. Hope the next album will be a bit heavier/spicier. Since Chad Cromwell en Chuck Ainlay left the songs got in general softer/slower. Wish Mark would attract guys like Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, Jerry Douglas, Joe Bonamassa, Bela Fleck, Jeff Beck  and Chris Rea to spice up some things on his next album.  :D

Joe Bonamassa - Just Got Paid

Midnight In Harlem - Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi

Dave Matthews Band feat Warren Haynes - Cortez The Killer

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:23:37 PM by Guitarman1972 »

OfflineTobben

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
What kind of thread is this?  :smack

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2017, 09:13:19 PM »
He always sings exactly in tune

This does it! One of my favourite of him definitely!

and when it comes to retire, I think it's just not his decision, it's all about Let It All Go! "these are not my decisions, flaming visions, ringing expressions the clamouring voice, It's volcanic desire the unquenchable fire It isn't a question
Of having the CHOICE!!!"
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2017, 12:38:45 AM »
What kind of thread is this?  :smack

Double that.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 37 queries.