Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Speculations about the MK secret project  (Read 58264 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Speculations about the MK secret project
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
I don't get it. If Mark's working on a musical why not say that he is? Isn't the musical's title the real secret? The whole thing is so silly and pointless. If it is what it seems to be it is a bit of a bummer, it's most certainly putting off Mark's new album's release which is what really matters, at least to me.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2017, 04:23:21 PM »
Re RB, I don't think Mark can afford to let him go, the guy is a genius and a real cool dude. There are not many guitar players like him out there, especially because he's much more than a guitar player. And to be honest I really don't think it was his fault, it probably slipped out, he asked the interviewer not to divulge it but you know... a jornalist is a jornalist.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
Guy was also very fast with his answer on the question. 1 hour  :think :think

Offlinedarkshiver

• Camerado
  • Rockaway rockaway from Cullercoats and Whitley bay
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
Re RB, I don't think Mark can afford to let him go, the guy is a genius and a real cool dude. There are not many guitar players like him out there, especially because he's much more than a guitar player. And to be honest I really don't think it was his fault, it probably slipped out, he asked the interviewer not to divulge it but you know... a jornalist is a jornalist.

All previous comments (and including photos…) are just hilarious and ironics respect the “ultrasecret project” of Mark… That’s all. Mark knows the value of Richard as guitarist and friend.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:37:12 PM by darkshiver »

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2017, 05:25:31 PM »

All previous comments (and including photos…) are just hilarious and ironics respect the “ultrasecret project” of Mark… That’s all. Mark knows the value of Richard as guitarist and friend.

I know, I was backing up your assertions.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2017, 06:59:13 PM »
Misquoted?  It is a West End musical, not a Broadway musical then.  Journalist must be American.   ;D

Probably Richard made a quick comment about it, not expecting that the journalist would mention it and, probably Richard just said "musical", and the journalist added Broadway as he is american.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2017, 09:30:29 PM »
Misquoted?  It is a West End musical, not a Broadway musical then.  Journalist must be American.   ;D

Probably Richard made a quick comment about it, not expecting that the journalist would mention it and, probably Richard just said "musical", and the journalist added Broadway as he is american.

This  :thumbsup

Smartest comment so far :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »

But what's the difference LOL?

It reminds me of an old April Fools' joke:

— Mom, mom! Dad has committed suicide!
— Where?! — frightened mom follows her son.
— In the attic!
Goes in the attic — nothing. Son:
— Happy April Fools'! He committed suicide in the basement, not in the attic!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:33:38 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »

But what's the difference LOL?

It reminds me of an old April Fools' joke:

— Mom, mom! Dad has committed suicide!
— Where?! — frightened mom follows her son.
— In the attic!
Goes in the attic — nothing. Son:
— Happy April Fools'! He committed suicide in the basement, not in the attic!

Well then, plural it is!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2017, 10:39:59 PM »
Mark making a musical works on so many levels.

At least we can be certain that we won't see him prancing around, in the moonlight, with a cane and a top hat

OfflineJeremiah Dixon

• Guitar George
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
My ‘two penn’orth’ if it is really a musical.  That would be a big departure for MK, for a few reasons, any of which might have some bearing on the secrecy surrounding the project.

Writing songs for a musical is very different to writing songs for an album – even if it’s just a ‘play with songs’ the songs still have to serve the story.  I can’t imagine MK is going to change his style at all, and I’m sure he’s up to the challenge, but it is a change from what he’s used to.

Secondly, any musical is a collaborative effort.  Even if MK has sole artistic control – even if he is bankrolling the whole thing – it’s still a collaboration.  There is whoever is writing the ‘book’, the director, possibly other producers, set designers, maybe orchestrators and ultimately the cast who will perform it.   We know Mark likes to have total control of whatever he is working on, so a musical would take him well outside that comfort zone.

Finally, a musical is always a gamble.  You can have the best songwriters, the best cast, a producer with a string of hits…and still crash and burn.  The current fad for ‘jukebox’ musicals is probably a safer bet, but it doesn’t sound like this project will just be a rehash of old Dire Straits hits.  The MK team will be used to knowing pretty much what any album or tour will generate financially – this will be very different.

So, maybe the secrecy is them getting it to a point to see if it works: the songs, the way of working, whether the whole thing hangs together?  If it was me, I’d probably want to have a good look at it and maybe get some feedback before announcing anything.

As I say, just my thoughts.  I kind of hope it isn’t a musical but part of me is curious to see what it would sound like…

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »
We will get Calling Elvis the musical about 2 brothers who started 40 years ago a band and had succes all around the world. ;D
The brothers got in to a fight which musical direction the band must go and one of them left the band. The other one had a lot of suscces with the band and the two brothers lost connect. And friend of the succefull brother said i think it´s easier to get in touch with Elvis Presley then with your own brother. After years they burry the ax and reunite the group but will it a succes or a flop?

The musical will include classic hits as Sultans of Swing, Lady writer and Calling Elvis and also brand new songs  8)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
I don't like it, rewrite all the plot, please.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
We will get Calling Elvis the musical about 2 brothers who started 40 years ago a band and had succes all around the world. ;D
The brothers got in to a fight which musical direction the band must go and one of them left the band. The other one had a lot of suscces with the band and the two brothers lost connect. And friend of the succefull brother said i think it´s easier to get in touch with Elvis Presley then with your own brother. After years they burry the ax and reunite the group but will it a succes or a flop?

The musical will include classic hits as Sultans of Swing, Lady writer and Calling Elvis and also brand new songs  8)

Probably more like the quest to find the best guitar-amp-mic combination for each song  :lol

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2017, 05:36:36 PM »

Probably more like the quest to find the best guitar-amp-mic combination for each song  :lol
LOL!!  :D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 39 queries.